Woody Allen

Started by Pedro, March 20, 2003, 11:46:16 PM

B.C. Long

what a clusterfuck of misunderstanding. :bravo:

Match Point is Woody's best. (That may or may not be a joke)

Quote from: The Gold Trumpet on November 26, 2007, 12:33:05 AM
I still revolt against "The Stupidest Thing You've Heard" thread

I always figured that thread was an elitist joke, no?

cine

tpfkabi

soooooooo,

did anyone buy the Woody boxsets?*

regardless, unless i read some overtly good praise on them, i think i'll just check the TCM schedule now and again since they play just about all his films up through the mid 80's at least and there don't seem to be any extras except some antedotes in the dvd case booklets and trailers.

*uhh, i like dat.......dat's how i roll...
I am Torgo. I take care of the place while the Master is away.

ElPandaRoyal

Quote from: Cinephile on November 26, 2007, 01:16:28 AM
i love Celebrity

So do I, what makes us about 5 in the entire planet.
Si

Gold Trumpet

Quote from: bigideas on November 26, 2007, 11:23:33 AM
soooooooo,

did anyone buy the Woody boxsets?*

regardless, unless i read some overtly good praise on them, i think i'll just check the TCM schedule now and again since they play just about all his films up through the mid 80's at least and there don't seem to be any extras except some antedotes in the dvd case booklets and trailers.

*uhh, i like dat.......dat's how i roll...

You might as well buy them. Woody Allen isn't interested in extra features. Criterion had somewhat of a chance to release Crimes and Misdemeanors in a special edition but it went nowhere. If Woody Allen has no interest for Criterion, he likely has no interest for special editions.

tpfkabi

Quote from: The Gold Trumpet on November 26, 2007, 12:40:31 PM
Quote from: bigideas on November 26, 2007, 11:23:33 AM
soooooooo,

did anyone buy the Woody boxsets?

You might as well buy them. Woody Allen isn't interested in extra features. Criterion had somewhat of a chance to release Crimes and Misdemeanors in a special edition but it went nowhere. If Woody Allen has no interest for Criterion, he likely has no interest for special editions.

Thanks for actual responding.

I am aware that Woody has stated that he cares not for extras, but did not know Criterion had approached him and he rejected it. I don't think Kubrick cared for extras either (I mean he went as far as totally destroying deleted scenes) - of course, DVD's were nowhere as popular as they are now - but new extras added editions keep coming out (of course, these came out after he died as well).

Alexandro

The only woody movie that i would call mediocre, or better said, a cinematographic ass rape to my good taste and measure, is that dreadful one with jason biggs and christina ricci, which thankfully i dont even remember it's title right now...

scoop was awesome.

the guy is old now. he pathologically makes a movie a year, he can't help it. he couldn't care less at this point if someone likes or dislikes this or that film, but he is always interesting. he has mellowed in the 2000's...so what?

oh and deconstructing harry IS one of his bests...

tpfkabi

I was thinking - when Woody's films are sent to Oscar voters, aren't there at least EPK's and stuff? Those aren't always the greatest things, but it would be interesting to at least see him directing a scene or working with actors.

SiliasRuby

Quote from: Alexandro on November 26, 2007, 06:22:19 PM
The only woody movie that i would call mediocre, or better said, a cinematographic ass rape to my good taste and measure, is that dreadful one with jason biggs and christina ricci, which thankfully i dont even remember it's title right now...
Anything else....
The Beatles know Jesus Christ has returned to Earth and is in Los Angeles.

When you are getting fucked by the big corporations remember to use a condom.

There was a FISH in the perkalater!!!

My Collection

ElPandaRoyal

Quote from: SiliasRuby on November 26, 2007, 10:22:51 PM
Quote from: Alexandro on November 26, 2007, 06:22:19 PM
Anything else....

... which is a perfectly fine movie.
Si

Fernando

Quote from: Pubrick on November 26, 2007, 12:15:10 AM
hedwig makes the hilarious (FAKE) confession that Curse of the Jade Scorpion is his favourite. the joke is what you half-guessed, the movie is mediocre at best and the irony is the nonchalant way he admits it..

I actually really like Scorpion :yabbse-undecided:, in fact yesterday I cought the last 30min. and there was a hilarious line by Dan Aykroyd when he tells Helen Hunt's character Woody has escaped from prision: "Looks like your little termite ate his way out".

Quote from: bigideas on November 26, 2007, 04:19:01 PM
I don't think Kubrick cared for extras either (I mean he went as far as totally destroying deleted scenes) - of course, DVDs didn't exist in the 60's, 70's and 80's were nowhere as popular as they are now - ...

Fixed.

Just for the record, last page was hilarious.

tpfkabi

Kubrick lived when DVD's were around.
Did they not put deleted scenes, etc, on laser discs - i have no idea?
Or are you implying that Kubrick would have saved the scenes had DVD been around?
I wouldn't think so.

Gold Trumpet

Quote from: bigideas on November 27, 2007, 01:30:47 PM
Or are you implying that Kubrick would have saved the scenes had DVD been around?
I wouldn't think so.

Special editions were made for laser disc. I believe Kubrick even had a helping hand with them. Criterion released special editions of a few of his films, including Dr. Strangelove and 2001: A Space Odyssey.

Fernando

I know, I only fixed your sentence because SK only did one movie when dvds were starting to dominate the market and the way you phrased it seemed like he was aware of them since forever.

I wouldn't think so.

Not at all, I remember Harlan (or was it leon?) said he didn't care for deleted scenes to be seen so he destroyed all the material, had he lived to see the explotion of dvds who knows what he would do with the format, taking a wild guess he probably still like to let the film speak for itself and not include too many extras, but who knows.

tpfkabi

Quote from: The Gold Trumpet on November 27, 2007, 02:51:33 PM
I wouldn't think so.

Special editions were made for laser disc. I believe Kubrick even had a helping hand with them. Criterion released special editions of a few of his films, including Dr. Strangelove and 2001: A Space Odyssey.

Any idea if the Kubrick approved extras translate to the later DVD versions?