Remake Remake Fucking Remake

Started by modage, March 05, 2005, 10:02:37 AM

A Matter Of Chance

Quote from: themodernage02
Quote from: Amy PascalRemakes are the best kind of genre film.
I hate you, Amy Pascal.

thadius sterling

Did anyone see the Flight of the Phoenix remake?

I wonder if it wa the studio's idea to have a Breakfast Club style musical montage. I shit you not, "Hey Ya" by outkast plays while they dance and build a smaller airplane out of the bigger airplane. Insert shot of toasty sweat-glazed Dennis Quaid vibin to the beat!

Other awesome genius moments: when they see the sandstorm and someone suggests they turn back,

"no, I'm going to fly right into it, it's our only chance."

Relavant news: Dennis Quaid to be in remake of "Yours, Mine, and Ours" based on the book "Who Gets The Wishbone." The original starred Lucille Ball and Henry Fonda. Incidentally, my English teacher was a Beardsley, she was infact the last child born into the huge family.

cowboykurtis

This really pisses me off:

Filmmakers Look Back in Anger at New 'Don't Look Back'

Plans to change numerous key elements in a remake of the classic 1973 British drama Don't Look Now have touched off an uproar among several of those connected with the original film. The London Sunday Telegraph reported that the producers of the Don't Look Now remake intend to eliminate the murderous dwarf who stalks the streets of Venice, set the film in summer rather than winter, and introduce additional love scenes. Viscountess Tessa Montgomery of Alamein, the daughter of Daphne Du Maurier, who wrote the short story on which the original movie was based, told the Telegraph that she thought the idea of a remake was pointless and that her mother would have been appalled by the idea of sex scenes being added to the story. Chris Bryant, who co-wrote the original screenplay, told the newspaper. "I don't accept this argument that you have to remake films for a new generation. ... After all, we don't keep repainting the Mona Lisa for every new generation that comes along." But Nicolas Roeg, who directed the first film, indicated that he would be interested in seeing how the story is reinterpreted. "An artist can also paint the same model over and over again and still find something new to say with each picture," he said.
...your excuses are your own...

grand theft sparrow

Quote from: cowboykurtisThe London Sunday Telegraph reported that the producers of the Don't Look Now remake intend to eliminate the murderous dwarf who stalks the streets of Venice

...and anything else that would make it remotely worth seeing.

MacGuffin

Quote from: cowboykurtisThis really pisses me off:

That's why I posted it here:
http://xixax.com/viewtopic.php?p=192308#192308
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

MacGuffin

New Body Snatchers Coming
German director takes the challenge.

Invasion of the Body Snatchers began as a serial novel and became two well-known motion pictures: a 1956 film by Don Siegel and a 1978 remake by Philip Kaufman that starred the likes of Donald Sutherland, Jeff Goldblum, and Leonard Nimoy, as well as one lesser-known 1993 film, starring Terry Kinney, Meg Tilly and R. Lee Ermey. And now it appears we could have a fourth Invasion on our hands.

Production Weekly is carrying the announcement of the new Body Snatchers project. German filmmaker Oliver Hirschbiegel (Downfall, Das Experiment) is set to direct the picture, and rookie screenwriter Dave Kajganich is writing the script. The story centers around a small town in which the inhabitants' personalities appear to be changing. Uncovering the conspiracy will be a female protagonist. Casting for the role would be mere speculation at this point.

Production is expected to begin in October, with filming primarily taking place in Baltimore. No release date has been set.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

modage

this seems like it might be the 'most remade film' ever.  does someone want to check that out?  it's going to get to a point where its like 'yesterday' is the most covered song and everyone just wants to remake this movie.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Pubrick

Quote from: themodernage02this seems like it might be the 'most remade film' ever.  does someone want to check that out?
i read sumwhere that dracula is officially the most remade movie.

in other news, u punks scared off thadius sterling.  :yabbse-angry:
under the paving stones.

picolas

modage

yeah but those are more famous books.  that doesnt count.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

MacGuffin

Lucas Talks Poseidon Adventure
The remake will be different from the first film.

Hollywood's preference for sequels and remakes over original material earns a certain amount of derision from movie buffs and critics, and perhaps much of it is deserved. Given enough years in between, no movie is safe from reinterpretation, the maritime adventure-survival film Poseidon Adventure being one more example of that trend.

But if an existing idea has room for improvement, why not improve it? Josh Lucas, who stars in Wolfgang Petersen's new Poseidon, explained to Empire Online that he felt Poseidon was an adventure worth doing over. Petersen's version won't be just a straight remake with new actors; it is, in fact, a whole new story sharing little in common with the 1972 original besides the title and basic capsized-cruise-ship premise.

"I would say it's a complete regenesis of that idea," said Lucas. "It's quite different, and I think that's one of the things that makes this particular movie ring true. The story is exactly the same story, in the sense that a cruise ship gets hit by a rogue wave and flips over, but every single character is entirely different, and the structure of the movie is very different."

Modern remakes are frequently an opportunity to show off with better special effects and larger production budgets. The new Poseidon will also benefit from advantages such as computer-generated effects and huge, lavish sets; and Lucas feels these will result in a stronger movie.

"The technology has moved on. You watch the original, and they jump over a chair like they're risking their lives, because they don't have the technology or the money in that film to do anything. But ...we're doing a lot of stuff where [we've] built these mind-blowing sets; basically huge chunks of an eight-storey cruise ship upside down. It's on hydraulics so the whole thing collapses and falls apart when you're actually on it. It's pretty spectacular."

So with all the other old films awaiting their return to the cinema, why choose The Poseidon Adventure?

"Honestly, why not remake it?" asks Lucas. "There's certain films where they're too creative to begin with, and why would you want to undercut it or put yourself in the line of fire, but I think Poseidon is a different story. Poseidon, to be honest, is a movie that can be quite a bit better than the original."

Not only is Lucas confident that there is a better Poseidon adventure waiting to be made, he also believes German director Petersen is the man to make it. And with great nautical films like Das Boot and The Perfect Storm to the director's credit, it's hard not to agree.

Poseidon is filming right now. It opens everywhere on May 4th, 2006.

Skeleton FilmWorks

MacGuffin

STOP FUCKING WITH CLASSIC HORROR FILMS!!!!  :evil:

Moore Omen
Director signed for apocalyptic remake.

John Moore, director of Flight of the Phoenix and Behind Enemy Lines, has signed to helm a big-screen remake of the 1976 horror film The Omen. The film, according to today's Variety, will be entitled The Omen 666.

The original, which starred Gregory Peck and Lee Remick, was directed by Richard Donner. It centers around an American ambassador who learns, to his horror, that his son is actually the antichrist.

Variety says that the script for the new film will be penned by Dan McDermott, and that it will update the story for the present day.

20th Century Fox has put the project on the fast track and hopes to start production on October 3rd.

Skeleton FilmWorks

modage

truly, it will never end.  anything with 'name recognition', it will be redone.  and then some.

Pubrick

sumone needs to make a movie about how stupid remakes are.

if it's already been done, they should remake it.
under the paving stones.

MacGuffin

Thornton, Heder Are Scoundrels
Napoleon and Billy Bob set for Brit comedy redo.

Billy Bob Thornton and Napoleon Dynamite's Jon Heder will star together in a remake of the 1960 British comedy School for Scoundrels, according to today's edition of industry insider mag Variety.

The trade scoops that the picture, setup at the Weinstein's Dimension Films, will be written by Scot Armstrong and Todd Phillips. Phillips will direct. The pair, whose prior collaborations include Starsky & Hutch, Old School and Road Trip, have reportedly been trying to find an appropriate contemporary context for the comedy for several years.

Heder will play a down-on-his luck meter reader who takes  a confidence-building course to help him win his dream girl. However, the class turns into something very different when it becomes clear that his instructor (played by Thornton) has his eye on the same girl.

School for Scoundrels will film in New York and L.A. in October with a Spring 2006 release in mind.

Skeleton FilmWorks