saturday night live

Started by sphinx, March 09, 2003, 05:38:36 PM

ono

Even for as big a fan as me, SNL hasn't been that great the past two years.  Bad hosts and musical guests half the time, lazy writing the other half (recycling sketches that don't need to be, mostly), and turning it into the Kristen Wiig show all contributed.  But tonight has been so great so far.  Betty White hosting, several female stars participating.  That monologue White did was already so warm and genuinely funny.  On to the MacGruber video with White as his grandma.  Things'll just get better too.

Season finale is next week, I think, with Alec Baldwin hosting to tie Steve Martin's record again.  Looking forward to that one.

Bethie

you know Kristen Wiig can't wait for all the other bitches to leave
who likes movies anyway

modage

Macgruber, Digital Short and the last sketch (Census Taker) were all great.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Reel

Yeah the Macgruber skit was actually good last night. It figures, they gotta step their game up if anyones gonna see that F'in movie

RegularKarate

Quote from: modage on May 09, 2010, 12:04:16 AM
Macgruber, Digital Short and the last sketch (Census Taker) were all great.

The Census taker was kind of cute, but also kind of annoying.  I don't like when they "remake" sketches, but since Fey wrote the original and the Census is back in action, I guess it less obnoxious.

The original is so much better though... one of the best SNL sketches in history.

MacGuffin

Will Forte Exits Saturday Night Live
Source: ComingSoon

The New York Times reports that Will Forte, who played such characters as MacGruber, Tim Calhoun and Jon Bovi, will not be returning for the 36th season of "Saturday Night Live" on NBC this fall:

"The departure was confirmed by two people with direct knowledge of the show's planning but who were not allowed to speak on the record because 'Saturday Night Live' has not officially announced details of its coming season. Representatives for Mr. Forte and for NBC's late-night entertainment division did not immediately comment, but one of the sources said the parting was amicable and at the choosing of Mr. Forte, who plans to pursue other projects."

Forte joined "SNL" in its 2002-2003 season. He also appeared in the film version of MacGruber earlier this year and has done guest appearances on "30 Rock," "The Cleveland Show" and ""American Dad!"
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

72teeth

*dislike

although i feel like i haven't seen snl in 2years
Doctor, Always Do the Right Thing.

Yowza Yowza Yowza

Bethie

Quote from: P on September 30, 2009, 06:00:18 AM
Quote from: OrHowILearnedTo on September 27, 2009, 06:18:38 PM
anyone have a link to where i can watch it?

try your toilet.

i am sorry but this is perfect at the top of the page. it gets me every time.
who likes movies anyway

Stefen

Quote from: Bethie on August 29, 2010, 01:23:13 AM
Quote from: P on September 30, 2009, 06:00:18 AM
Quote from: OrHowILearnedTo on September 27, 2009, 06:18:38 PM
anyone have a link to where i can watch it?

try your toilet.

i am sorry but this is perfect at the top of the page. it gets me every time.

top of the page is the new old topic.

EDIT:
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

ono

Paul Brittain, Taran Killiam, and Vanessa Bayer Join SNL.  Meh.  I'm more interested in seeing what Pedrad will come up with and if Slate will stick around.  Abby Morgan Elliott (don't know WHAT I was thinking there) is okay, but I really doubt she's going anywhere either way.  Most bummed about Forte's exit.  Though he's been around awhile, it seemed premature, and as good as a cast member as he was, it was a shame he didn't get a better sendoff.

modage

Quote from: ono on August 30, 2010, 03:27:28 PM
Abby Morgan is okay, but I really doubt she's going anywhere either way.
Abby Elliott? She'll stick around.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

ono

Whoops.  Abby Morgan is the chick who drowned in Dawson's Creek.  Hah.  Even if Armisen annd Elliott are dating, that's no real reason for Lorne to keep her around.  It'd be on the strength of her impressions ('cause really, she didn't have a lot else going for her).

polkablues

Abby Elliot is mostly good as one of the extra people in a sketch who has a couple lines but isn't the main focus. She's not good enough to draw attention to herself, but also doesn't do anything bad enough to hurt anything. As opposed to Jenny Slate and Bobby Moynihan, who are occasionally quite funny, but just as often distractingly obnoxious.

Nasim Pedrad is a keeper, though. She's one they can actually build off of.
My house, my rules, my coffee

polkablues

My house, my rules, my coffee

Pubrick

Quote from: polkablues on September 02, 2010, 07:54:17 PM
BREAKING NEWS!  ACTUAL BLACK CAST MEMBER (possibly)!

wow those are really good impressions.

i was gonna post but those (denzel/will, charie/eddie murphy) are pretty great.

i thought Cine would be the next black cast member. :yabbse-undecided:
under the paving stones.