V For Vendetta

Started by Ghostboy, March 04, 2005, 11:57:22 PM

Ghostboy

I know this has been discussed before, but I don't think it has its own thread.

Anyway, the more I think about it, the more I get excited about this. This is my second favorite Alan Moore piece, after From Hell, and not only do I think it'll make a much better movie than Watchmen would - I think it's all around better than Watchmen, period.

JB, if ever you were to look forward to a comic book movie, this is likely the one.

Natalie Portman is the biggest name involved in this, and that's a fact that makes me happy - it's not a star driven piece whatsoever. Also, that they're set on releasing this on Nov. 4, for the 100th anniversary of Guy Fawks day, shows how seriously they take the subject matter.

The press conference transcript over at the official site is an interesting read.

MacGuffin

Release Date: November 4th, 2005 (wide)

Cast: Natalie Portman (Evey Hammond), James Purefoy.

Director: James McTeigue (feature debut; he served as the 1st AD on the Matrix trilogy and Star Wars Episodes II & III)

Screenwriter: Andy Wachowski & Larry Wachowski (the Matrix trilogy)

Based Upon: The graphic novel "V for Vendetta," written by Alan Moore and illustrated by David Lloyd, published by DC Comics in 1988.

Premise: In an alternate timeline where Germany won World War II and Great Britain is now a facist state, a masked vigilante known only as "V" conducts guerrilla warfare against the government. When he rescues a normal young woman (Portman), she joins his struggle against the forces of oppression.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Kal

Being that this is another adaptation of a graphic novel, and that the Wachowskis are involved... any word wether they will be using some new technique, or some Sin City technique?

Pubrick

Quote from: andykalBeing that this is another adaptation of a graphic novel, and that the Wachowskis are involved... any word wether they will be using some new technique, or some Sin City technique?
check out the video section of the site http://vforvendetta.warnerbros.com/

or read the press conference transcript GB linked above. they cover questions of visual style and things like that. man i can't stand joel silver.
under the paving stones.

mogwai

Quote from: Pubrickman i can't stand joel silver.
he represents all things he hated back in the ol golden days of cinema.

MacGuffin

Vendetta Gets Fry-ed

IGN FilmForce recently interviewed British actor-writer Stephen Fry (Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy) who happened to be in Berlin. And why was he in Germany? It turns out he was there filming a role in the big-screen adaptation of the Alan Moore/Dave Gibbons graphic novel V for Vendetta.

Unfortunately, we have been unable to confirm which role Fry is playing and his reps did not respond to our inquiries for comment.

Fry's credits include Wilde, The Life and Death of Peter Sellers, Gosford Park, Jeeves and Wooster and Blackadder II.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

MacGuffin

Vendetta Casting Revealed
Stephen Fry spills the beans!

Earlier this week IGN FilmForce informed you that Stephen Fry (Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy) had been cast in an unspecified role in the big-screen version of the Alan Moore/David Lloyd graphic novel, V for Vendetta.

Now Empire Online fills in the blanks on which role Fry is playing, and also disclosed some other heretofore unknown casting.

"I'm playing the character of Gordon Deitrich, who's a chat show host who questions the authority of the people who run Britain in this post-viral facist state, as it were," the actor-writer explained at the premiere of HG2G. "I've been filming (in Berlin) all the time, and I'm going back on Sunday."

And according to Fry, "[Hellboy veteran] John Hurt, Tim Pigott-Smith, and Sinead Cusack" are also in the film. "Lots of very good casting on the part of the Wachowski Brothers, who of course are wonderful, though it's being directed by James McTeigue, who was first assistant director on all the Matrix films. And it's a good lark."

Skeleton FilmWorks

MacGuffin

'Vendetta' loses title character amid shoot

Hugo Weaving ("The Matrix") has replaced James Purefoy as the title character in the futuristic thriller "V for Vendetta," which is shooting in Berlin.

Natalie Portman, Stephen Rea, Rupert Graves and Stephen Fry also star in the Warner Bros. project, which is set for a Nov. 4 release in North America. No reason was given for Purefoy's exit.

Set in totalitarian Britain, "Vendetta" tells the story of a mild-mannered woman named Evey (Portman) who is rescued from a life-and-death situation by a masked vigilante known only as V, who ignites a revolution.

The screenplay, by the "Matrix" team of Andy and Larry Wachowski, is based on the acclaimed graphic novel by Alan Moore, whose work also includes "The Watchmen" and "From Hell," and illustrator David Lloyd. James McTeigue is directing.

Weaving played Agent Smith in the "Matrix" trilogy. He also has appeared as Elrond in "The Lord of the Rings" trilogy, and his other credits include "The Interview," "Priscilla, Queen of the Desert" and "Proof."

Skeleton FilmWorks

Ghostboy

Well, he wears a mask through the entire movie, so it's not like anyone will really know. His voice will just be more recognizable now.

MacGuffin

V for Vendetta: The Movie
Nazis, terrorism and horrible experiments! Oh, and Natalie Portman to boot. Source: IGN.FilmForce

Warner Brothers' big-screen version of V for Vendetta was shaken up this past week when it was announced that Hugo Weaving (Lord of the Rings, The Matrix trilogy) had replaced James Purefoy (Resident Evil) in the title role. No reason was given, which leads one to assume the filmmakers were not satisfied with Purefoy's performance. But that's only speculation.

The project is based on the ten-part the Alan Moore/David Lloyd graphic novel series from 1988, which has been adapted for the screen by Matrix creators Larry and Andy Wachowski. James McTeigue is making his feature film directing debut for producer Joel Silver (Wonder Woman). The film is a German-UK co-production.

The cast includes Stephen Fry, Stephen Rea, Rupert Graves, John Hurt, Tim Pigott-Smith, and Sinead Cusack. Fry revealed at the premiere of Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy that he's playing "Gordon Deitrich, who's a chat show host who questions the authority of the people who run Britain in this post-viral facist state."

Set against the futuristic landscape of totalitarian Britain, V For Vendetta tells the story of a mild-mannered young woman named Evey (Portman) who is rescued from a life-and-death situation by a masked vigilante (Weaving) known only as "V."

Incomparably charismatic and ferociously skilled in the art of combat and deception, V ignites a revolution when he detonates two London landmarks and takes over the government-controlled airwaves, urging his fellow citizens to rise up against tyranny and oppression.

As Evey uncovers the truth about V's mysterious background, she also discovers the truth about herself - and emerges as his unlikely ally in the culmination of his plot to bring freedom and justice back to a society fraught with cruelty and corruption.

"Natalie Portman is one of the most gifted actresses working today, and we're thrilled that she is bringing her extraordinary talents and presence to this film," Silver said in a statement at the time her casting was announced. "With V for Vendetta, the Wachowski Brothers have created an uncompromising vision of the future driven by a totally original superhero."

"This is more people centred than The Matrix," promised Silver. Portman has said that Evey is no "damsel in distress…she takes matters into her own hands." She was drawn to the tale by its "moral…and philosophical issues." Portman admitted she is still struggling with identifying the protagonists as freedom fighters or terrorists. "That's the big question," she said, adding that Vendetta focuses on the "power of people [and] the right to revolt." The first photo of Portman with her head shaved for the role can be seen below.

Filming began in early March in Berlin for a Nov. 5, 2005 release, although how much this casting change will affect the release date remains to be seen. It should be noted that V will never appear without his mask in the film so perhaps most of Purefoy's footage can still be used. How they will then credit him (if at all) is not known.

Skeleton FilmWorks

modage

Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Pozer

MacGuffin

Re-V-ealed!
Plus, Vendetta finishes filming.

Moviehole has scored the first look at the title character in Warner Bros.' upcoming big-screen adaptation of the Alan Moore/David Lloyd graphic novel, V for Vendetta.

The site has published a now widely seen still of Natalie Portman with her head shaved, as well as the first official still of the title character, masked revolutionary V. Moviehole wasn't sure if it was either the fired James Purefoy or his replacement Hugo Weaving behind the mask.

In related news, the official film site has announced that principal photography on V for Vendetta wrapped June 8th. The site also includes set photos of the London stint of filming.

V for Vendetta is slated for release November 4th.

Skeleton FilmWorks

i always think it's going to be someone posting the teaser but sigh.
context, context, context.

Ultrahip