Irreversible

Started by Ghostboy, February 19, 2003, 12:14:16 AM

Ghostboy

So who else is excited about this? Or has anyone seen it already? It opens in March (at least here in Dallas), and I've been looking forward to it since it played at Cannes last year.

I don't know if I'll have trouble sitting through the violence or the rape sequences. I wonder if they've been built up too much already to be as shocking as they would be if they caught you off guard.

I do know I'll have a hard time watching the strobe scene at the beginning; heavy strobing gives me motion sickness, unfortunately. I even had to close my eyes during the big outdoor party scene in 'City Of God.'

In any case, I can't wait to see it.

Cecil

ive allready seen it, but i dont want to discuss it before anyone else has too.

Pedro

Trailer???Information???....Thanks, Mac  :wink:

Cecil

Satcho9

I have been wanting to see this for a while. The soundtrack is good, Thomas Bangalter arranged and preformed many of the songs. I have heard many people being disgusted by this movie, more the reason to go see it...

©brad

Read a lot about it. Supposedly it's pretty brutal. There's a 10 min. rape scene, and a huge fight at a gay club called Club Rectum. It was shown at Cannes last year. Every year there has to be one movie that is shocking just to be shocking. It looks pretty interesting though, it's narrative is told backwards. Look forward to seeing it.

Pedro

I must see this...
Cecil, any information of how you saw it? or is that a secret/magic trick?

Cecil

Quote from: Pedro the WombatI must see this...
Cecil, any information of how you saw it? or is that a secret/magic trick?

it played in may for a couple of weeks here in montreal.

Ghostboy

I hadn't seen that trailer yet; it's beautifully done. Now I'm looking forward to it even more. That shot of Belluci on the grass is stunning.

SubstanceD

It opens in Ny/LA March 7
Stubborn as a thousand born agains avoiding questions.

MacGuffin

'Irreversible' not for the faint of heart  

In Gaspar Noe's "Irreversible," a woman is savagely beaten and raped, the camera capturing every tortured moment over nine long minutes. In an equally disturbing scene, audiences are confronted with a man's face being bashed in blow-by-blow with a fire extinguisher.

The scenes proved so harrowing that even hardened art-house crowds walked out when the movie screened at Cannes and Sundance.

Executives of the film's North American distributor say "Irreversible" is one of the toughest marketing challenges they've ever faced, and that includes controversial movies such as "American Psycho" and "Dogma."

"It is absolutely a hot potato, but we're used to it," said Tom Ortenberg, president of Lions Gate Releasing. "It's easily the most controversial film of the year -- maybe the decade."

While conceding that about 20% of the audience at Cannes and Sundance did walk out, Ortenberg said "Irreversible" received a "rapturous ovation" from those who stuck it out. It was nominated for the Golden Palm at Cannes. He pointed out that few people walked out of the film at either the Toronto or Telluride film festivals. "They had 900 in the audience at Toronto and only six walkouts," he said.

The movie is told in backward chronology, not unlike Christopher Nolan's "Memento." It traces an evening in the lives of three Parisians -- a gorgeous woman and her boyfriend (played by husband-and-wife Vincent Cassel and Monica Bellucci) and their friend (Albert Dupontel). Much of the dialogue is improvised; the Argentine-born Noe provided the actors with only a three-page script.

Reviews have been mixed. "The most uncomfortable few minutes you'll ever spend in a cinema," warned the BBC. "It's not so much hardcore as black-hole-core," said Britain's the Guardian. But Rolling Stone gave it 3 1/2 stars.

"We will be thrilled if the picture does a couple million dollars at the box office," Ortenberg said, adding that Lions Gate expects strong sales when the film comes out on DVD.

The film, which is unrated, opens in limited release Friday in New York and Los Angeles, including the Regent Showcase in Los Angeles, the Laemmle Monica in Santa Monica, the Laemmle Playhouse 7 in Pasadena and Edwards' University in Irvine.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Pubrick

Quote from: MacGuffinMonica Bellucci.
nuff said.
under the paving stones.

MacGuffin

After a controversial run in Europe late last year, the dark and twisted French film with its infamous and very harrowing 10-minute graphic rape sequence will hit US cinemas this month and the real life husband & wife stars of the film discuss their rather unique experience filming this controversial feature:

"To me this film is like Clockwork Orange. It's like Pi. It's like Requiem for a Dream, Deliverance or Pasolini's movies. All those movies that are so difficult to digest but there is something, there is meaning. You felt so disturbed when you watched those movies because those movies go deep inside you and then you have to see the monsters we have inside."
Rest of interview with Monica Bellucci here.

"It's like when you look down the street and there's an accident, you don't want to watch, but you do. So, this movie is an accident [Laughs]."
Rest of interview with Vincent Cassel here.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Ghostboy

I just saw it this evening, finally. I think its pretty incredible. The ending almost made me cry, it was so beautiful.

I'm going to write my review tomorrow morning and I'll post it up here, rather than go in depth now. So what did you think of it, Cecil (and anyone else who's seen it)?

Cecil

i thought it was great. very moving.

SPOILERS

before i saw the movie, i had allready heard some very angry comments from women who havent even seen the film. to comment on the rape scene, ill tell you what the point of it is: that guy who sees it but decides to leave. THAT is why the scene exists in its entirety. we, the audience, are paying the price by seeing this disgusting (and unfortunately not uncommon) act because some fucking idiot thought it was none of his concerns. if i remember correctly, this guy walked in on them before the actuall rape. he couldve prevented alot of damage, but instead he turns the other way.

time destroys everything, indeed. but maybe if we helped each other out a bit, the damage wouldnt be as huge.