I Just Bought...

Started by ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ, October 25, 2003, 05:14:10 PM

OrHowILearnedTo

Quote from: Mr. Merrill Lehrl on June 16, 2011, 02:29:09 AM
Nah don't worry. I wanted the blu-ray, and it'll win with me either way, if it's interesting because it's good or if it's interesting because it's bad. And I wanted to see some Mann because I got excited he may do that racing movie. I'm such a fucking fan of race movies, southern racecar movies especially. The Last American Hero for example, and Cronenberg's Fast Company.

Do you prefer the director's cut? My friends who are HUGE Michael Mann fans swear by the theatrical cut.

wilder

You know, I don't know. Maybe it's better. I only have the director's cut so that's the version I've watched repeatedly. Maybe I'll pick up the theatrical cut down the line and compare.

I remember, from seeing it in the theater, that the beginning of the theatrical cut pretty much hard cuts into the opening night club scene instead of opening with the boats the way the director's cut does. Beyond that, I don't know what the specific differences are.

Edit - Some poor soul did all the work: http://www.schnittberichte.com/report.php?ID=3741

Mr. Merrill Lehrl

This was actually a blind buy.  It's one of the few Manns I haven't seen*.  I didn't realize.  The theatrical cut is not on the blu-ray?  And it's maybe superior?  That's kind of a bummer, they should include both.

* positive this was in the theater at the same time as The Descent and Allen's Scoop because my friend and I had planned a day at the theaters seeing these three movies.  But after Scoop we were kind of sleepy and just went home.
"If I had to hold up the most heavily fortified bank in America," Bolaño says, "I'd take a gang of poets. The attempt would probably end in disaster, but it would be beautiful."

Pubrick

First of all, you should have known Scoop would make you sleepy.

Secondly, can someone be a film snob if they only like shitty movies? It's like calling someone who only eats junk food a food snob. Which is not to say Miami Vice is unequivocal gourmet shit, and you're appeal to xixax's critical reappraisal was hilarious, but I'm pretty sure a stringent diet of nutritionless garbage would irreversably warp your taste (possibly your waistline too) to the extent you are simply invalidated from ever judging what anyone else consumes.

Basically, she needs to shut the hell up and let you buy whatver you want, or else DTMFA.
under the paving stones.

Mr. Merrill Lehrl

Haha. Imagine if I asked her just that way.

She just only likes fun or weird movies. I'm totally ok with that, seems better than dating a multiplex slut. Mother's Day is the first Troma movie, made by Lloyd's brother. It's the cradle picture for a legacy of shit movies. It has historic value, basically. Like if you owned the first film with a fart.
"If I had to hold up the most heavily fortified bank in America," Bolaño says, "I'd take a gang of poets. The attempt would probably end in disaster, but it would be beautiful."

cronopio 2

i've got nothing to add to this thread.

Mr. Merrill Lehrl

MoC sale:

Judex
Under the Sun of Satan

This videostore going out of business down the street:

Unknown Pleasures
Platform

Distant
Rebels of the Neon God (<---my favorite movie title, and the first Ming-liang I saw ... attracted by its title)

Mr. Merrill Lehrl

Today was the last going out of business day for the previously mentioned video store. Bought Crimson Gold because Netflix downgraded the film to 'unavailable.' Spent the day reading about Jafar Panahi and being really, really bummed out. Really.

mogwai

squints

god dammit, does anyone really care about this thread?

jesus fucking christ i don't.

all the wonderful things that sundown and wilderesque post could be in another thread and talked about more. In the meantime i just bought.....
"The myth by no means finds its adequate objectification in the spoken word. The structure of the scenes and the visible imagery reveal a deeper wisdom than the poet himself is able to put into words and concepts" – Friedrich Nietzsche

Stefen

Squints just moved into his record producer/DJ phase. He'll be back into film in a few months. We all were.

If we pooled the money we made from our hit singles together, we probably could have bought the ability to embed youtube videos.

Hindsight is 20/20. Not just a xixax hit single, but advice for life.
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

Sleepless

Quote from: S.R. on June 27, 2011, 03:12:38 AM
Squints just moved into his record producer/DJ phase. He'll be back into film in a few months. We all were.

If we pooled the money we made from our hit singles together, we probably could have bought the ability to embed youtube videos.

Hindsight is 20/20. Not just a xixax hit single, but advice for life.

Exhibit A

Goddamn new page.
He held on. The dolphin and all the rest of its pod turned and swam out to sea, and still he held on. This is it, he thought. Then he remembered that they were air-breathers too. It was going to be all right.

Stefen

Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

samsong

b&n criterion sale!

definitely picking up the music room and beauty and the beast next week.  will probably be blind buying the times of harvey milk and house.

SiliasRuby

The Beatles know Jesus Christ has returned to Earth and is in Los Angeles.

When you are getting fucked by the big corporations remember to use a condom.

There was a FISH in the perkalater!!!

My Collection