Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

Started by sphinx, January 10, 2003, 10:34:24 PM

The Perineum Falcon

Zooey is too fucking cute.

I enjoyed it, for the most part.
I thought Rockwell was great, despite the 2nd head (which was distractingly annoying).
Marvin was even better.
I really wasn't liking Mos Def in the beginning, but after a while I got used to him.

Yeah, it was okay.
We often went to the cinema, the screen would light up and we would tremble, but also, increasingly often, Madeleine and I were disappointed. The images had dated, they jittered, and Marilyn Monroe had gotten terribly old. We were sad, this wasn't the film we had dreamed of, this wasn't the total film that we all carried around inside us, this film that we would have wanted to make, or, more secretly, no doubt, that we would have wanted to live.

Alethia

i've always loved the books and i fell asleep during this.

Pozer

you probably had a really long day.

grand theft sparrow

I've been a fan of the books for 15 years or so now.  I liked the movie a lot, mainly because I was able to get past the things they had to change for the film.  But I can't imagine anyone not familiar with the books really getting it.  And most people who are familiar would be pissed at what was different.  So I can't figure out who's really going to just worship this movie.

I definitely liked the visual aspect of it.  The Vogon fleet looked great, the Heart of Gold was great, Magrathea was great.  There really isn't anything that springs to mind that I felt was lacking visually except maybe the guide excerpts.  The animation was cool but there was some room for some great video segments done on film (but that would have been more expensive).

Sam Rockwell was damn funny as George W. Beeblebrox.  "HUMMA KAVULA!"  More than anyone else in the movie, he nailed the part.

Martin Freeman was a good Arthur Dent but I prefer Simon Jones' slightly exaggerated Dent.  

I didn't entirely buy Zooey Deschanel as Trillian but she was still decent and it's hard not to be taken in by her big hypnotic eyes.  I could look at her all day long.

And Mos Def... I thought he was good for what he did with Ford.  I just don't like what he did with Ford if that makes any sense.  I think he was a good choice to play Ford and maybe they cut some of his stuff out but I think that his performance was holding back what it should have been.  He should have either been more manic or more cool but he almost always hit this weird middle ground, like he couldn't decide.  If he had been more consistent, I would have liked him more, I'm sure.

Overall, I think it was as good of an adaptation as we were likely to get since Douglas Adams wasn't around to point Hammer & Tongs in the right direction when they drifted.  My biggest complaint is that they got the humor right but not the vibe.  I can forgive all of what didn't sit right with me but I'm mostly with RegularKarate... it's not what it could or should have been.  But if they get to do Restaurant at the End of the Universe (which is a better book anyway), I have faith they'll work it out.

squints

i concur....except now i really want to read Restaurant at the end of the universe
"The myth by no means finds its adequate objectification in the spoken word. The structure of the scenes and the visible imagery reveal a deeper wisdom than the poet himself is able to put into words and concepts" – Friedrich Nietzsche

Gamblour.

I read the book back in January, which helped. The dialogue was too transplanted, it felt like there were jokes that no one could get crammed into those lines. Once they get on the Heart of Gold, it gets really clunky and shaky and meanders like crazy. You don't really know what the hell the point is. But the ending was really good, I laughed a lot. The Guide is awesome, Marvin's awesome, I agree about Mos Def. I didn't like what he was doing at first, I don't know if I liked him the rest of the time. Sam Rockwell was of course the fucking shit. The Malkovich plot should have been a lot stronger. Overall, i had a lot of fun and thought it was good.
WWPTAD?

Pubrick

worked
dolphins
zooey
puppets
animation

failed
momentum
overall tone

winner
zooey's face.
under the paving stones.

jtm

Quote from: Pubrickworked
dolphins
zooey
puppets
animation

failed
momentum
overall tone

winner
zooey's face.

all reviews should be like this.

RegularKarate

it's the most accurate review I've read of the film.

Jeremy Blackman

SHAFTR

I haven't read the books, but always I have always wanted to.  Overall, I enjoyed the film very much.  It kind of reminded me of Back to the Future, when you just get caught up with what is going on and can't wait to see what happens next.
"Talking shit about a pretty sunset
Blanketing opinions that i'll probably regret soon"

jtm

Quote from: Jeremy Blackman
Quote from: JTMall reviews should be like this.
http://xixax.com/viewtopic.php?t=2712&start=68

and

:yabbse-undecided:

good job!  just make sure all reviews in the future follow suit.

i hate long, drawn out reviews/posts.  they bore me to death.

MacGuffin

A Five Part Trilogy?

Could The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy become a "trilogy in five parts" like the books? The film, which topped last weekend's box office, is based on the late Douglas Adams's original radio series and subsequent novels, which he described first as a trilogy in four parts, and later as a trilogy in five parts. Although producer Robbie Stamp told today's (Tuesday) Financial Times that he expected that at least three Hitchhiker movies will be produced, Disney exec Robert Mitchell would only say, in an interview with BBC News, that sequels were "a possibility given the wealth of source material, although no decision had yet been made."
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

picolas

that person didn't really need to write that.

analogzombie

anyone notice the Jason Schwartzman cameo on the viewscreen on the Herat of Gold? Zaphod's watching a program about his 'kidnapping' and gets interrupted by Mos Def and company. Just before the viewscreen is turned off Schwartzman is being asked about Zaphod to which he replies "Zaphod's just some guy, you know."
"I have love to give, I just don't know where to put it."