maria full of grace

Started by pete, August 05, 2004, 11:54:22 PM

pete

anyone else seen this yet?  it seemed to have garner some praises from the sundance.  I just saw it tonight, it was very well-acted, didn't like the ending, but don't know how I would end it, this is actually the first film where I actually asked myself, how would I have done it differently.
it was still a very good film though.

http://www.suntimes.com/output/ebert1/wkp-news-maria30f.html
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

cine

I'd like to go to Toronto to see this however..

Warner has announced the release of Spanish film Maria Full of Grace which tells the story of a bright, spirited 17-year old who becomes entangled in the ruthless world of international drug trafficking. The disc will be available to own from the 7th December this year, priced at around $27.95. The film itself will be presented in anamorphic widescreen along with Spanish Dolby Digital 5.1 and Dolby Surround tracks. The only extra feature will be an audio commentary with writer/director Joshua Marston. English, French and Spanish subtitles will also be provided.

pete

the film is in Spanish but it's a Colombian film.
- Buster Keaton

Ghostboy

I just got back from seeing it as well and I thought it was excellent. It's the kinda movie that'll get a lot of IFP awards. What didn't you like about the ending, Pete?

cine

You two went together, didn't you?

pete

SPOILERS

QuoteI felt like that ending, with her choosing to stay in America made it look like it was all worth it.  So the story, instead of being about Maria Alvarez, becomes about another heartbreaking tale of the things people will do to give their children a brighter future here in the US.
- Buster Keaton

El Duderino

i saw it about a week ago and i thought it was great, i too was a little sketchy about the ending at first, but then i realized that it was good and fitting
Did I just get cock-blocked by Bob Saget?

Kal

The whole story is so well done and so real... I liked the tagline of the film that says "Based on 1,000 true stories". Liked it a lot

hedwig

i saw this in new york a few months ago and forgot to post my thoughts. it's truly fantastic, i think. the acting, especially by the beautiful leading lady, is top notch. i loved how expressive her face was, even when she wasn't saying or doing anything, this look in her eyes let the audience know exactly what she was thinking, how she was feeling, etc.

anyway, the movie made me ache it was so intense. A great debut and a perfect, perfect, perfect ending.

RegularKarate

You guys all got me way too excited about this movie... this was just a good movie... it wasn't that great... nothing we haven't seen before... good all around, but just good... not great.

hedwig

SHAFTR

This is now on DVD.

I just saw it and I really liked it.  I wouldn't call it the best film of the year, but it's definitely a top ten film.  It's a great coming of age story that looks at the drug issue without being preachy.  The lead was amazing, especially for a debut.  Sometimes I felt the handheld was a little bit too much, other times it worked perfect.

****1/2 out of 5 stars.
"Talking shit about a pretty sunset
Blanketing opinions that i'll probably regret soon"

ProgWRX

as a native spanish speaker i can say that aside from the main actress, most of the acting and the delivery of dialogue of the secondary and tertiary characters was awful...

other than that, it was an all around good film, iMO.
-Carlos

SHAFTR

Quote from: ProgWRXas a native spanish speaker i can say that aside from the main actress, most of the acting and the delivery of dialogue of the secondary and tertiary characters was awful...

other than that, it was an all around good film, iMO.

My netflix sleeve said that she wants to go to a magical land of "el norte" where streets are paved with gold.

Is this a screwup by them or did something get lost in translation?
"Talking shit about a pretty sunset
Blanketing opinions that i'll probably regret soon"

Sleuth

do you mean Lost in Racism :?:
I like to hug dogs