It's Always Sunny In Philadelphia

Started by Weird. Oh, July 24, 2006, 01:45:08 AM

polkablues

Lance Reddick as an Ike Turner-esque 60s nightclub owner is my new favorite thing.
My house, my rules, my coffee

O.

i've only seen the first two episodes of sunny this season and yeah, so far it's really been scaring me

mac: what do you want more than anything?
dennis: hm... crack.
superb

Reel

Quote from: O on October 14, 2011, 06:09:38 AM
i've only seen the first two episodes of sunny this season and yeah, so far it's really been scaring me

you know he's a recovering addict, right?

Pubrick

What do you guys mean by scaring?

I gave this a shot and it sucked but if it's turned into something disturbing and awesome I might have to steal a few more episodes.
under the paving stones.

pete

there are some nuggets in there, but I don't know - the show's funner to talk about than to actually watch. The depravity is fun to discuss, and the characters do become almost inhumanly depraved, with some pretty quotable moments, but I don't know, they're just not writing jokes, and it's become extremely predictable once all they're aiming for is depravity.

the double episode from two seasons ago when Mac and Charlie faked their deaths was still one of the funniest things, but that was back then when the show still had punchlines.

I don't know, maybe I'm old fashioned. I don't get Hangover for the same reason - it feels like the writers for both comedies have come up with some insane scenarios, but don't really develop them beyond having characters suffer.
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

O.

Quote from: Reelist on October 14, 2011, 01:14:15 PM
Quote from: O on October 14, 2011, 06:09:38 AM

you know he's a recovering addict, right?

On the show, or is the actor one in actuality? 'cause I don't really recall him doing crack for more than an episode or it mattering for more than an episode.
superb

Reel

Yeah, well he technically became addicted to crack for that very short period and now can't seem to get it off his mind.

AntiDumbFrogQuestion

The Good News: "Frank's Brother" will remain the low-point of the season.

Pas

Yeah, Frank's Brother was an awful episode I couldn't even finish.

Last one was pretty bad as well. Mostly just screaming and being outrageous.

The snow storm one was quite good.

Basically the more Charlie and Mac, the better. I can't wait for Charlie Day hosting SNL this saturday. That show is beyond awful but I can see him giving a good performance.

AntiDumbFrogQuestion

I'm sorry, but "Chardee MacDennis" had me laughing so hard that I almost vomited, with two different audiences nonetheless.  I don't really hold this show to too high a degree, because the junkier and more juvenile and more decadent the humor is, the better it feels to indulge in its half hour of insanity.
In certain cases, though, like when Dee's braid got pulled out in the Jersey Shore episode, and the joke was "LOOK: BLOOD", it wasn't character-based, thus I didn't think it was that funny.  And Frank's whole flashback tried to maintain a sense of story with unfamiliar characters so...heheh I just can't believe that episode exists on a show with such a tight track record.

Sleepless

Bumping this as I've just gotten into this show on Netflix the past few weeks. Almost to the end of S2. Has been a bit awkard integrating DeVito into the show since he awsn't a part of the first season, but I think they've finally got to the point where he's just another member of the gang now. I looked back over the start of this thread and I concur, it's a bit of a meathead show, but there's a level of don't-give-a-shit anti-PCness that isn't really satire, but close enough that I can justify my love for it. The first season in particular takes on the must list of hot button issues one by one, so much so that I was wondering how on earth they could possibly sustain after that initial season, but so far so good. I think the show is fucking brilliant. The most outright hillarious show I've watched in a while. All the characters are self-absorbed narcissists, always looking for the next way to cheat themselves to an easy buck. It sounds like such a basic concept, but it really works here. It's funny when they get their comeuppance because they always deserve it. We're not supposed to like them. Although, truth be told, I do - because they make me laugh. Excpet Dennis. He's a prick.
He held on. The dolphin and all the rest of its pod turned and swam out to sea, and still he held on. This is it, he thought. Then he remembered that they were air-breathers too. It was going to be all right.

Garam

This show is easily one of the greatest sitcoms of all time, but it's been slipping from season 9 onwards. They still have a couple of great episodes a season though, which makes it worth it for me.

The show's only a meathead show in that the characters are meatheads. I mean, Philly's kind of a meathead city. The writing is not dumb at all, in fact I find it very clever in that the dynamics at play vary so wildly depending on which characters are grouped together. Every single possible compound has its own power-struggle, backstory and level of co-dependency at play.

The most underused of the compounds is definitely Dennis and Charlie. I like those two together because you can tell they secretly don't really like or respect each other because they're such polar opposites.

Dee and Charlie can be quite good too in that they're both the bottom of the totem pole, so it gives them an opportunity to be a bit more free and less defensive.

Anyway, seasons 3 - 6 is sitcom gold. Get ready, cause the first couple seasons don't come close in comparison. Every defining characteristic of each lead is amplified more and more each season to the point that they have less and less in common, but also become more and more reliant on each other's company because noone else in their right mind would want to spend time with them. Up there with Young Ones, Fawlty Towers, the best of Seinfeld, Larry Sanders etc. I love it. The chemistry is astounding.

Axolotl

I agrre with everything Garam said.

Also Charlie Work from the most recent season is one of their best episodes so they've still got it, but I agree the brilliantness of 3-5 can't even be close to recaptured.