R.I.P. Buddy Hackett

Started by ono, July 01, 2003, 02:56:38 PM

ono

Comedian Buddy Hackett Dies at 78
Comedian and actor Buddy Hackett, who charmed audiences in the early days of television as well as with roles in such Disney features as The Love Bug and The Little Mermaid, was found dead at his Malibu beach home on Monday; he was 78. A stand-up comic who got his start playing the Catskills resorts of upstate New York, often poking fun at his own rotund figure, Hackett was a fixture in both television and film, as well as on Broadway and in nightclubs, where his sometimes raunchy humor perpetually had audiences rolling in the aisles. Stints on early television sitcoms and talk shows gave way to Broadway roles, which in turn him to screen fame in the early `60s. He was most well-known for his scene-stealing turn in 1962's The Music Man (where he performed the song "Shipoopi") as well as for his roles in It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World and The Love Bug. He found a new (and younger) audience in with his voice performance as Scuttle in Disney's animated feature The Little Mermaid, and did numerous guest spots on TV shows such as Sabrina, The Teenage Witch and Just Shoot Me; he also had a supporting role in the highly acclaimed but little-seen 1999 sitcom Action. While the cause of death was not immediately announced, it was known that Hackett suffered from diabetes. He is survived by his wife, Sherry Cohen, son Sandy Hackett, and two daughters. --Prepared by IMDb staff

:(

Derek237

Man, these legends are dropping like flies. Who's next? Kirk Douglas? Abe Vigoda? Brando?...

ono

Same thing I was thinking, too.  To play it safe, methinks most celebs over 60 should like, stay inside and drink lotsa fluids or something.  :(

jokerspath

Quote from: Derek237Man, these legends are dropping like flies. Who's next? Kirk Douglas? Abe Vigoda? Brando?...

As long as we have Strom Thurmond, I'm sure we'll stand strong...

Before one hundred years of living (1903, six months):

After:

Suddenly I'm hungry for a can of roasted peanuts...

aw

ps-http://www.theonion.com/onion3112/stromchange.html!
THIS IS NOT AN EXIT

ono

...you do know Strom Thurmond died about a week ago, right?

AlguienEstolamiPantalones

buddy is dead , and i am very sad

i use to watch his stand up tapes as a kid

when it comes to stand up i am so like bobby from king of the hill, i use to watch henny youngman and i was only 7 and benny hill

but back to buddy , i am very upset he was great

i dunno what to say, i love the guy

jokerspath

Quote from: Onomatopoeia...you do know Strom Thurmond died about a week ago, right?

I do know this.

aw
THIS IS NOT AN EXIT

Derek237

"The cause of death was: HE WAS 100!!!!!"

--Jay Leno  :lol:

Sleuth

Please don't ever bring Leno into a thread about Buddy Hackett
I like to hug dogs

Pubrick

Quote from: Derek237"The cause of death was: HE WAS 100!!!!!"

--Jay Leno  :lol: