Who's Next To Croak?

Started by cine, September 28, 2003, 11:07:39 AM

Drenk

Ascension.

jenkins

i was fully prepared to watch him conquer his personal struggles through a successful music career. i thought maybe we shared some problems but he had a certain unteachable knack. something within him. i was prepared to watch him make tremendous evolutions, and now there's just the past.

RIPEEP. tears my friend.

Rapper Lil Peep dies aged 21 of suspected overdose

wilder

'Groove Tube' director Ken Shapiro

QuoteThe Groove Tube was probably Shapiro's crowning achievement. Starring Richard Belzer and Chevy Chase, the absurd film was a benchmark for comedy and Shapiro's career. Playboy magazine said that the movie was the "most stinging assault on television since it was invented." Not only did the low-budget film receive an X-rating but it satirized media and counterculture of the early '70s, eventually paving the way for like-minded films like Tunnel Vision and The Kentucky Fried Movie. On the TV side of things, it set the precedence for sketch comedy shows like SCTV and Saturday Night Live.

wilberfan

Jim Nabors

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/11/30/obituaries/jim-nabors-87-tvs-gomer-pyle-is-dead.html

QuoteMr. Nabors's health had been declining for a year and that his immune system had been suppressed since he underwent a liver transplant in 1994.

At the time, Mr. Nabors announced that he had contracted hepatitis B in India several years earlier when he cut himself shaving with a contaminated straight razor, which he had bought there.

QuoteIn various episodes Gomer connected with the movie and TV industries, the music business, the surf scene, the Beverly Hills rich — all the easy symbols of modernity. Everywhere he went he left a trail of fond smiles and innocence — at least temporarily — restored."

But "one thing Gomer never, ever connected with," Mr. Jones added, "was the Vietnam War," which was raging at the time, just as he and his neighbors in Mayberry had remained isolated from the civil rights movement in the South. "He somehow existed in the peacetime military when there was no peace."

polkablues

My house, my rules, my coffee

Ravi

http://www.animationmagazine.net/people/bugs-bunny-designer-bob-givens-dies-at-99/?doing_wp_cron=1513652256.5439219474792480468750

Bugs Bunny Designer Bob Givens Dies at 99
Mercedes Milligan Dec 15th, 2017

Robert "Bob" Givens, an animator whose long and celebrated career brought him through the gamut of 20th century animation milestones from Walt Disney's Snow White, to the first Bugs Bunny cartoon, to Hanna-Barbera's Quick Draw McGraw, died on December 14 at St. Joseph's Hospital in Burbank at age 99. His death was announced by his daughter, Mariana Givens, on Facebook.

Givens graduated high school in southern California in 1936, working as a freelance artist for a year before joining the Walt Disney Studio. He was an animation checker on several shorts before joining the team of Disney's groundbreaking feature Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs (1937).

Givens then joined Warner Bros., where he worked under legends Chuck Jones and Tex Avery. One of Givens' biggest career moments came in 1940, when Avery asked him to review designs of a new character — a grey rabbit that was coming across "too cute" for the slapstick cartoons. Givens went on to create the first official design for Bugs Bunny, now the iconic lead character of the Looney Tunes franchise, in the Merrie Melodies short A Wild Hare.

Ironically, after completing WB short The Draft Horse (1942), Givens was drafted into World War II, working on military training films as part of his service. He returned to WB in the '50s, working as a layout artist until the studio shuttered in 1954. Givens went on to work at various studios including UPA and Hanna-Barbera, then followed other former WB staff to the newly formed DePatie-Freleng shop. As WB continued evolving, Given cycled through top studios and returned to Bugs' home base when the studio reformed.

Givens worked with Jones one last time on Chuck's 2001 direct-to-video feature Timber Wolf; Jones died the following year and Givens afterward mostly retired from the field, although he continued to teach and give talks into his 90s.

wilberfan

Clifford Irving, author of notorious Howard Hughes literary hoax, dies at 87

http://www.latimes.com/local/obituaries/la-me-clifford-irving-20171221-story.html

Later adapted into this film:  http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0462338/

wilder

The singular Joe Frank  :yabbse-cry:

His wife, Michal Story, just posted
. She's been detailing his battle with illness for the past year. My heart goes out to her.

I had tickets to see him perform a couple years ago at Cinefamily, when the event was cancelled shortly prior...

Thanks for everything, Joe. You were one of a kind.

jenkins

Alethia

John Mahoney aka....Marty Crane 😢

Reel

Reg Cathey

of 'The Wire', 'House Of Cards', 'Horace and Pete'

BB

Oh damn, that guy was great. I loved him as a kid. The Mask. "The doctor is about to operate." A reading that's stuck with me for almost 25 years. "Don't fuck with Querns."

Miss him.

Fuzzy Dunlop

wilder

Comedian Barry Crimmins

JB Reelist recommended a Netflix-available documentary about him, Call Me Lucky, a couple years ago, and Louis CK has one of Barry's stand-up specials, Whatever Threatens You, available to buy on his website (great special)