Author Topic: Who's Next To Croak?  (Read 213698 times)

Ravi

• Admin
  • Respect: +88
Re: Who's Next To Croak?
« Reply #1635 on: October 06, 2017, 02:15:23 PM »
+1
https://www.theguardian.com/film/2017/oct/05/anne-wiazemsky-french-actor-novelist-and-muse-to-jean-luc-godard-dies-aged-70

Anne Wiazemsky, French actor, novelist and muse to Jean-Luc Godard, dies aged 70

Actor appeared in films by Bresson, Pasolini and Godard, to whom she was married for 12 years and whose memoir of their relationship was adapted into the 2017 film Redoubtable

Anne Wiazemsky, the actor best known for her appearances in films of the French Nouvelle Vague and marriage to director Jean-Luc Godard, has died aged 70 after a battle with cancer. “Anne died this morning. She had been very sick,” her brother Pierre told AFP.

Born in Berlin in 1947, Wiazemsky was the granddaughter of novelist and Nobel literature laureate François Mauriac. At 18, she made her debut in Robert Bresson’s celebrated 1966 film Au Hasard Balthazar, about a farm girl’s relationship with her pet donkey. During the film’s production Bresson became obsessed with Wiazemsky, regularly propositioning her on set. “At first, he would content himself by holding my arm, or stroking my cheek. But then came the disagreeable moment when he would try to kiss me ... I would push him away and he wouldn’t insist, but he looked so unhappy that I always felt guilty,” she recalls in her memoir Jeune Fille.

A year later Wiazemsky met Godard, at the time at the height of his fame, and appeared in his 1967 film La Chinoise, a tale of Maoist revolutionaries living in Paris. The pair married during the film’s production, and Wiazemsky went on to appear in other Godard films, including black comedy Weekend and One Plus One, an agitprop collage that featured scenes of the Rolling Stones recording Sympathy for the Devil interspersed with documentary footage of revolutionary insurrection. Yet, as Godard became more immersed in the social uprising in France and elsewhere in 1968, the marriage became strained. “The further it went on, the more our paths diverged,” she told AFP in an interview earlier this year. The pair divorced in 1979.

Wiazemsky continued to perform in films, most notably alongside Terence Stamp in Pier Paolo Pasolini’s Italian arthouse work Theorem. The film was banned for obscenity in Italy in 1968 for its story of a mysterious stranger who seduces a whole family.

In her later years Wiazemsky published more than a dozen novels, including 2015’s Un an après, about her relationship with Godard. The book became the basis for Michel Hazanavicius’s Redoubtable, and one of Wiazemsky’s last public appearances was at the film’s premiere at the Cannes film festival in May. According to Hazanavicius, Wiazemsky was reluctant to allow him to adapt her book but relented when he said that the film would be funny. “She said, ‘I think it was a funny relationship and a funny time,’” Hazanavicius recalled.

Drenk

• The Return Threshold
  • Respect: +498
« Reply #1636 on: October 09, 2017, 11:28:10 AM »
Jean Rochefort.

I'm so many people.

jenkins

• The Master of Two Worlds
  • Respect: +1430
    • Neon Burrito
« Reply #1637 on: November 16, 2017, 04:08:30 PM »
+1

i was fully prepared to watch him conquer his personal struggles through a successful music career. i thought maybe we shared some problems but he had a certain unteachable knack. something within him. i was prepared to watch him make tremendous evolutions, and now there's just the past.

RIPEEP. tears my friend.

Rapper Lil Peep dies aged 21 of suspected overdose

Every perspective is an act of creation.

wilder

• Respect: +1707
« Reply #1638 on: November 20, 2017, 12:24:16 AM »

wilder

• Respect: +1707
« Reply #1639 on: November 27, 2017, 06:05:57 PM »
'Groove Tube' director Ken Shapiro

The Groove Tube was probably Shapiro’s crowning achievement. Starring Richard Belzer and Chevy Chase, the absurd film was a benchmark for comedy and Shapiro’s career. Playboy magazine said that the movie was the “most stinging assault on television since it was invented.” Not only did the low-budget film receive an X-rating but it satirized media and counterculture of the early ’70s, eventually paving the way for like-minded films like Tunnel Vision and The Kentucky Fried Movie. On the TV side of things, it set the precedence for sketch comedy shows like SCTV and Saturday Night Live.

wilberfan

• The Vision Quest
  • Respect: +80
« Reply #1640 on: November 30, 2017, 02:38:52 PM »
Jim Nabors

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/11/30/obituaries/jim-nabors-87-tvs-gomer-pyle-is-dead.html

Mr. Nabors’s health had been declining for a year and that his immune system had been suppressed since he underwent a liver transplant in 1994.

At the time, Mr. Nabors announced that he had contracted hepatitis B in India several years earlier when he cut himself shaving with a contaminated straight razor, which he had bought there.

In various episodes Gomer connected with the movie and TV industries, the music business, the surf scene, the Beverly Hills rich — all the easy symbols of modernity. Everywhere he went he left a trail of fond smiles and innocence — at least temporarily — restored.”

But “one thing Gomer never, ever connected with,” Mr. Jones added, “was the Vietnam War,” which was raging at the time, just as he and his neighbors in Mayberry had remained isolated from the civil rights movement in the South. “He somehow existed in the peacetime military when there was no peace.”
"There's shadows in life, baby."

DMCA & Copyright | Terms & Conditions | Privacy Policy