Anyone seen any good shows lately?

Started by smash, September 21, 2004, 12:48:39 AM

modage

this was pretty good.  10 year anniversary of the first time I saw them.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

cinemanarchist

Q: You know how I know I'm gay?

A: I'm going to see The Faint tonight!!

My assholeness knows no bounds.

Pozer

you know how i know you're gay?  you keep saying you know how i know i'm gay.

and the Christian Bale thing you posted.

john

The Hold Steady about a month ago.

Fucking amazing. Superlative superlative superlative.

I've got some shows coming up, but I probably won't see anything that good until November...

Hold Steady and Drive-By Truckers. Collision of awesomeness. If you enjoy beer and guitars, and that billing finds it's way to your town, do catch it.

Maybe every day is Saturday morning.

john

Frank Black earlier tonight.

Dude was on autopilot. But Frank Black's autopilot rocks harder and with more conviction than most bands can muster with all their youthful energy magnified and combined.

Bizarre crowd, though. It was a six dollar show at a horse track in Southern California. Most of the people there were sunburnt and drunk as hell yelling out Pixies songs.

Maybe every day is Saturday morning.

New Feeling

Yeah I saw Frank Black a couple weeks ago and it was pretty sweet.  First time I ever saw a legend perform with nothing but a guitar.  very intimate and very good.   

I recorded a taste:

Stefen

Went to redeem my beer bottles for $ cash $ money $ at the local recycling center this afternoon and who do I see in the terminal next to me? You guessed it on your first try. Thurston Moore. Asked him if he wanted to come back to my place and jam in the basement but he politely declined. Could have been an awesome show.
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

squints

This month:
Ratatat
Silver Jews
Neko Case + Giant Sand

Halloween:
TV ON THE RADIO

FUCK YEAH!!!
"The myth by no means finds its adequate objectification in the spoken word. The structure of the scenes and the visible imagery reveal a deeper wisdom than the poet himself is able to put into words and concepts" – Friedrich Nietzsche

cinemanarchist

My assholeness knows no bounds.

RegularKarate

Man man opening for Okkervil River as a sideshow for ACL Fest (which I'm skipping this year)

First time I ever saw Man Man was opening for OR, right before Six Demon Bag came out.  It was in a tiny room and I was right up front.  Now it's a larger venue and they're both bigger bands and I've seen them individual at least six times since, but I'm still super excited about the show.

squints

Quote from: cinemanarchist on September 03, 2008, 12:57:10 PM
Why? on September 9th!!

Why is fucking awesome. I've seen them four times. Lucky you!
"The myth by no means finds its adequate objectification in the spoken word. The structure of the scenes and the visible imagery reveal a deeper wisdom than the poet himself is able to put into words and concepts" – Friedrich Nietzsche

Stefen

You guys are real jerks, you know that?  :yabbse-angry:
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

MacGuffin

NIN on Sat.
mogwai on Tues.
Tricky on Sept. 12
Beck/Spoon on Sept. 20
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

mogwai

Quote from: MacGuffin on September 03, 2008, 07:50:23 PM
NIN on Sat.
mogwai on Tues.
Tricky on Sept. 12
Beck/Spoon on Sept. 20

you'll be deaf after the second show. :yabbse-wink:

MacGuffin

"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks