Anyone seen any good shows lately?

Started by smash, September 21, 2004, 12:48:39 AM

JG

i'm seeing jens this fall and i'm pretty excited for that.  i've been listening to his new CD the past few days, it sounds pretty good.  but my buddy from gothenburg doesn't even like him!

pete

My summer:

Dirty Dozen Brass Band - I dunno what to say.  there aren't too many soulful acts left in this world, and I'm glad these guys are still around.  everyone was a virtuoso and they combined funk, soul, r&b, salsa, afro-cuban and gospel into this one amazing thing that is uniquely new orleans.  Everything was wild, everyone was dancing.

Squirrel Nut Zippers - I only went to see them because of high school nostalgia.  They were good but not outstanding.  I went with Lucid and got her dancing just a little bit, so mission accomplished.  Katherine Whalen and the band did a beautiful rendition of "you you you you you" for the encore and that kicked ass.

Circus Contraption - a Seattle based Circus act and rockabilly band.  The circus stuff was pretty average, but the music was amazing.  Too many smelly hippies though.

Maneja Beto - mexican traditional meets indie rock from austin.  good shit.  spun a few super tall latinas on the dance floor.  I don't remember much from that night except I went in with a little Venezuelan girl but ended up being dragged around the dance floor by this 6 foot tall mexican lady. 

Alice Smith - a sultry new soul singer with a voice only to be rivaled by her booty, had a rocking band backing her up.  She was really new but completely blew everyone away.  She had an amazing range and really funny/ intimate lyrics.

Trombone Shorty and the Orleans Ave. - saw this kid last saturday night.  Nobody in his band is older than 23, but these kids tore it up.  They combined New Orleans funk with classic rock-influenced grooves.  Good idea, great execution, and a puzzling large number of single pretty girls who went by themselves.  A student of mine was a Katrina survivor, and his grandma would always tell me about the great music coming out of there, while on the verge of tears.  I shed tears for them when the band did some old timey New Orleans tunes.  They also introduced to stage this hot girl named Lilla D Moane.  She did some marvin gaye and such.  She was hot and she could sing, but not much else I guess.  Still, look up this girl if she comes to your town. 

Daniel Johnston - It was awesome seeing him last night.  He wasn't in the best shape though - his hands were quivering the entire time, looked like side effects from anti-depressants to me.  His broken heart cannot be touched.  He just came out with this little backpack guitar and blew everyone away with his lyrics and singing.  Then a much better guitarist came in to back him up, doing really beautiful renditions of songs like Living Life.  The place was packed.  I had two friends who couldn't get tickets, so they came in with a felt tip marker and had one of them doing exact replicas of my hand stamp and my buddy's.  It was pretty amazing.  He only lasted about 50 minutes - did three songs by himself, three songs backed by the guitarist, two songs on the grand piano, and then a handful of quickies backed by the opening band.  It was pretty rock'n'roll but the band wasn't that good at backing him up.  He told great stories and jokes between the songs and the sets too.  It was really moving; everyone's waited for a long time to see him now, I think.  The hipsters in this city tend to be more hostile and townie-esque, but last night they did pretty good.  Nobody left without goosebumps.

For comedians I saw Louis CK, Arj Barker, and Todd Barry.  All of them hilarious.  Louis CK is a comic virtuoso though.
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

john

Quote from: pete on August 23, 2007, 08:34:21 PM
My summer:

The hipsters in this city tend to be more hostile and townie-esque, but last night they did pretty good.  Nobody left without goosebumps.

For comedians I saw Louis CK, Arj Barker, and Todd Barry.  All of them hilarious.  Louis CK is a comic virtuoso though.

I as there last night, too. I didn't hate the audience as much as Iimagined I would have. I also saw Squrrel Nut Zippers, probably the same show you did - I imagine - for the very same reason.

Didn't go see Louis CK, though, but Patton Oswalt and Brian Posehn are at Cobbs in two weeks. That should be good.
Maybe every day is Saturday morning.

pete

whoa, we should probably be friends.
Have I said that already?  I felt like I have.
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

Heinsbergen

i saw the misfits last week. intense crowd, intense sound, but the band itself is probably more dead than the characters in their lyrics. jerry only's singing is total shit. anyway i got to meet him outside the venue while the support acts played and he's a really decent dude. and we got to hear some nice black-flag-songs since dez cadena plays guitar.

when i was a little kid i wanted to know what caused thunder.

The Sheriff

i saw tool, it was great. i saw marilyn manson. it was meh.
id fuck ayn rand

Heinsbergen

tool are pretty fucking amazing live. i just stood there with my jaw dropped, totally hypnotized.
when i was a little kid i wanted to know what caused thunder.

The Sheriff

id fuck ayn rand

matt35mm

Saw Scout Niblett last night.

I LOVE going to concerts in these tiny venues where your heroes are just wandering around among the crowd while the opening bands play, instead of being hidden until showtime.  Then you get to be 4 feet from the heroes as they play, shake their hands, and thank them for the great show.  I got to do that a couple of times with Jason Molina/Magnolia Electric Co., and this show with Scout as well.  She was surprisingly beautiful in person and sounded amazing.  The opening bands, as a lot of bands do when playing live, sounded muddy with indecipherable singing.  Then Scout comes on, asks the sound guy to turn everything up as high as it can go, and sounds incredibly pure, allowing you to be enveloped in gorgeous, sharp, haunting music instead of just being blasted with sound.

(sigh)

It's difficult not to fall in love with a beautiful girl that's singing your favorite songs a few feet in front of you.  I can't wait to see her play again.

Stefen

You're lucky that you get good shows around you. My iConcerCal is always empty, and when it does have a show it always looks so lonely that it makes me depressed and I don't want to see that band anymore!!!
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

john

Quote from: Lucid on October 24, 2007, 11:22:59 PM
I hate the venue (Bill Graham) because the way it's set up usually creates a such a feeling of distance anxiety-ridden fear and panic.

Yeah, I really hate that place, as well. It's a cement nightmare, hollow and gigantic.

Though the Bob Dylan show I saw there last year was pretty neat.

Then I saw The Flaming Lips there and it made me miss Bimbos.

Friday is Jesus and Mary Chain, indeed.

November 5th is Hold Steady and Art Brut!

72teeth

Saw Blonde Redhead in LA yesternite... amazing! totally worth the 7 hour, normally 3 hour, drive back home this morning...
Doctor, Always Do the Right Thing.

Yowza Yowza Yowza

john

Tom Waits

No more concerts needed. Ever.

I am content.

NEON MERCURY

the past few months i saw tool and ryan adams.
the tool concert was awesome, the venue sucked (stay away from winston-salem, nc)
they played most shit from 10,000 days. the highlight was wings 1 & 2.
jmk has an incredible voice.  everything was note perfect like the studio versions.
im always impressed when a band recreates their sound live just like in the studio.
the fans were great.  i had really good seat (i payed alot for them) which is why i was broke,
for a while.  as for ryan adams.  it was the second best show i've ever seen (first was broken
social scene).  the show was right after he came back from the states after playing
w/the cowboy junkies.  after his "meltdown"...   he was very cool and played for nearly 3 hours.
im searching the .org for a bootleg daily.  if anyone knows where i can find
a copy of the 10/13/07 show, please holla (soundboard, no AUD.  sorry to be picky)
the venue was perfect.  its called the north charleston performing arts center. there is
not  a bad seat in the house.  we had orchestra seating.  the acoustics/sound=perfect.
highlight songs were wildflowers, bartering lines, magnolia mountain, and dear john,
(a lil secret?  dear john live is way better than the version w/norah jones...way better).

alchohol:  at the joel-lawrence colisieum in winton-salem, make sure you drink
alot in the parking lot.  they stopped serving inside right as the second set started,
during the tool show.  be warned.  in charleston alchohol was served up until encore.
and by drinks i mean beer, liqiour, and wine.  good stuff. 

Pubrick

Quote from: pyramid machine on October 31, 2007, 04:15:28 PM
the show was right after he came back from the states 

came back from the states to.. the states.
under the paving stones.