Anyone seen any good shows lately?

Started by smash, September 21, 2004, 12:48:39 AM

Sigur Rós

Quote from: Stefen on June 28, 2007, 02:42:09 AM
Just saw Battles a few minutes ago.

AMAZING. I was worried it was gonna be just to drone on parts of Mirrored, but luckily the fat was cut off (they saved all that for the encore)

I think every New Mexican hipster came out for this one. Place smelled like organic bathing soap (body odor), ramen, and chap stick.

This one chick kept elbowing me in the balls. She must have been about 4'10.

Kids kept doing the hipster dance, but I didn't care cause I was pretty buzzed by then. 

You can't talk your way out of being one of the hipsters...indieboy

...and by the way Interpol was fucking awesome!

nix

Had a pretty swell time at the Nashville Bright Eyes show last month. Gillian Welsh (sp?) and some brilliant guitarist opened and played a few songs with Connor. He's all hippie now with the long unwashed hair, etc. The Ryman (aka the original grand ole opry) is the sweetest venue in Nashvegas by far.

Some douche behind me kept screaming, "Connor, I wanna have your baby!". Other than that, no complaints.
"Sex relieves stress, love causes it."
-Woddy Allen

I Love a Magician

hey y'all. i saw save macaulay and de novo dahl. both of'em are real awesome and i suggest you check'em out ("one speed confession" and "be your man" RESPECTIVELY). here are some pictures of this:

sm:

another one

dnd:

got a snake on his damn pants
the guitar man
check the fucking fury

and

sorry if that's too many pictures

Stefen

Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

pete

I saw The Dirty Dozen Brass Band a few weekends ago and it was a blast.
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

bonanzataz

aimee mann is cool. her between song banter is fun. she kept taking off her clothes and calling her outfit "boobalicious." she played all but one of my favorite songs. she and her band hate john mayer, jewel, and bob seger (who she called a "singing hernia"). at the end of deathly, she changed the lyrics around to a song i didn't know, but it made her keyboardist crack up. i had fun but nobody dances anymore.
The corpses all hang headless and limp bodies with no surprises and the blood drains down like devil's rain we'll bathe tonight I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls Demon I am and face I peel to see your skin turned inside out, 'cause gotta have you on my wall gotta have you on my wall, 'cause I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls collect the heads of little girls and put 'em on my wall hack the heads off little girls and put 'em on my wall I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls

mogwai

Quote from: bonanzataz on July 22, 2007, 01:18:41 AM
aimee mann is cool. her between song banter is fun. she kept taking off her clothes and calling her outfit "boobalicious."

and you didn't take any pictures. :yabbse-angry:

Stefen

It's probably for the better. Isn't she pushing, like, 60?
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

bonanzataz

Quote from: mogwai on July 22, 2007, 04:59:03 AM
and you didn't take any pictures. :yabbse-angry:

no, i get really annoyed when people are constantly snapping photos of a show. i have it in my head, i'd rather not get some crappy blurred photo where she barely takes up 1/20th of the frame. besides, everybody else brings their stupid cameras, i guarantee you if you search for last night's show, by tomorrow you'll be able to see hundreds of pictures.

and she did look really good. i was fairly close, everything seemed to be holding up just fine.
The corpses all hang headless and limp bodies with no surprises and the blood drains down like devil's rain we'll bathe tonight I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls Demon I am and face I peel to see your skin turned inside out, 'cause gotta have you on my wall gotta have you on my wall, 'cause I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls collect the heads of little girls and put 'em on my wall hack the heads off little girls and put 'em on my wall I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls

squints

"The myth by no means finds its adequate objectification in the spoken word. The structure of the scenes and the visible imagery reveal a deeper wisdom than the poet himself is able to put into words and concepts" – Friedrich Nietzsche

pete

that's because you guys don't goto the right shows.  I've danced at the last four or five shows I've been to.
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

squints

honestly, i was just about to add an asterisk
nobody dances anymore *except for pete:
"The myth by no means finds its adequate objectification in the spoken word. The structure of the scenes and the visible imagery reveal a deeper wisdom than the poet himself is able to put into words and concepts" – Friedrich Nietzsche

Reinhold

Battles was phenomenal when i saw them a couple weeks ago. the keyboardist/guitarist blew me away the whole show, as did the bassist.

Junior Boys were also very good live. i'd never heard of them but they were fantastic and the music was instantly enjoyable. i found myself clapping and jumping like i'd seen them a few times before. possibly the highlight of Pitchfork for me.

Jamie Lidell was awesome but his songs kind of dissolved toward the end.

The band I most anticipate seeing again is Grizzly Bear. simply amazing.

Califone was okay, but when I see them again I definitely want to go to an indoor venue. A hot, windy outdoor concert really sucked for their music.
Quote from: Pas Rap on April 23, 2010, 07:29:06 AM
Obviously what you are doing right now is called (in my upcoming book of psychology at least) validation. I think it's a normal thing to do. People will reply, say anything, and then you're gonna do what you were subconsciently thinking of doing all along.

Sigur Rós

Man oh man what a day yesterday...I saw Architecture in Helskinki, Spoon, Battles, Jens Lekman, Jesus and Marychain at the Øya Festival in Oslo all in one day. Battles blew me away and hypnotized me for about an hour...that drummer is insane!

Reinhold

Quote from: Sigur Rós on August 11, 2007, 07:28:31 AM
Man oh man what a day yesterday...I saw Architecture in Helskinki, Spoon, Battles, Jens Lekman, Jesus and Marychain at the Øya Festival in Oslo all in one day. Battles blew me away and hypnotized me for about an hour...that drummer is insane!

i dunno what i'd do with myself at that show. How is Jens Lekman live?
Quote from: Pas Rap on April 23, 2010, 07:29:06 AM
Obviously what you are doing right now is called (in my upcoming book of psychology at least) validation. I think it's a normal thing to do. People will reply, say anything, and then you're gonna do what you were subconsciently thinking of doing all along.