Anyone seen any good shows lately?

Started by smash, September 21, 2004, 12:48:39 AM

cinemanarchist

Quote from: Stefen on September 19, 2008, 01:25:13 PM
It won't be the same hearing it on a crappy audience recording as it would have been to see it live. Not even close to as good.

And on top of that they've cancelled the rest of their tour...I can't help but feel this is all at least partly my fault.
My assholeness knows no bounds.

mogwai

Quote from: cinemanarchist on September 24, 2008, 09:54:24 AM
Quote from: Stefen on September 19, 2008, 01:25:13 PM
It won't be the same hearing it on a crappy audience recording as it would have been to see it live. Not even close to as good.

And on top of that they've cancelled the rest of their tour...I can't help but feel this is all at least partly my fault.

yes, that the drummer's pacemaker is not working, that's your fault.

Stefen

Great, now I can't see them either!

Thanks alot, Cinemafuckface!

Next time you're gonna screw shit up, make sure it doesn't fuck other peoples shit up too.

Selfish prick.  :doh:
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

cinemanarchist

Quote from: Stefen on September 24, 2008, 11:28:49 AM
Great, now I can't see them either!

Thanks alot, Cinemafuckface!

Next time you're gonna screw shit up, make sure it doesn't fuck other peoples shit up too.

Selfish prick.  :doh:

Xixax, I love you because you're my judgemental and emotionally abusive girlfriend but you're also really wild in the sack. Cinemafuckface...really? Come on now. I can just picture the drummer looking out into that Dallas crowd, not seeing my face and then clutching his chest and struggling through the tears just to finish that show. If you listen closely to the bootleg you can actually hear his heart break.

Stefen

No shit? I never listened to the whole bootleg because it was such shitty quality. Damn, it would have been sweet to be there live. Top 10 show of all time, ever.
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

last days of gerry the elephant

Quote from: samsong on September 24, 2008, 01:52:48 AM
i saw my bloody valentine.  i can't hear anymore.

omg, I was just about to post that.

How long did it take before you can hear again?

theyarelegion

Going to see Kings of Leon in L.A. at the Nokia Theatre on October 15th. Saw them during the summer at the Oxegen festival in Ireland. They were amazing live! Anyone else seen them?

Edit: The Stills & We Are Scientists are also playing on the night.

RegularKarate

Heartless Bastards TONIGHT!

Emos inside, which is a cool smaller venue with great sound.

Man Man and Okkervil TOMORROW

Emos outside... bigger, not as good sound... but still excited

squints

"The myth by no means finds its adequate objectification in the spoken word. The structure of the scenes and the visible imagery reveal a deeper wisdom than the poet himself is able to put into words and concepts" – Friedrich Nietzsche

samsong

Quote from: omuy on September 26, 2008, 08:33:09 AM
Quote from: samsong on September 24, 2008, 01:52:48 AM
i saw my bloody valentine.  i can't hear anymore.

omg, I was just about to post that.

How long did it take before you can hear again?

not long, surprisingly enough.  but it could be that my brain's adjusted to my now irrevocably damaged hearing and now considers it normal.  i tried to go as long as i could without the ear plugs because it was so blissful being blasted by them.  18 minute "you made me realise" was transcendent.  one of the best (if not loudest) shows E V E R.

last days of gerry the elephant

I think they broke my ears...

'The Holocaust' lasted 24 minutes for us, reaching a stunning 128 dB.

Alexandro

i went saturday and sundar to the acl...never been to austin before, i thought it was great, i gotta admit thought, the grinch part of my personality has a hard time adjusting to so much good vibes from strangers. i like it rough, you know...

saturday:

josé gonzáles was ok but i was too far away to actually enjoy it.

drive by truckers was fun but it's not my cup of tea.

man man: i was already on my fourth beer and my first joint so it was the perfect moment and these guys owned it. the audience were divided between those jumping to the music and those watching with a smile on their faces, stunned with the crazy shit the band was doing up there. every song felt perfect.

erykah badu: although i roll my eyes everytime some celebrity talks about how cool the zapatista movement is, the show itself was great. i never stopped bouncing.

nachito herrera all stars: i danced like a mad man to these guys.

beck was INCREDIBLE. there was a lot of energy to his show, despite him being still the whole time. the songs from modern guilt, specially chemtrails, sounded amazing, maybe with the exception of the title track itself. loved to hear midnite vultures stuff in there. wished he had played tropicalia or something from mutations.

sunday:

okerville river, yeah i could see them rocking out the house but i was midway through their stage because i wanted to be near when the raconteurs started. anyway i know some people get offended by this, but i put okervill in the 00's category of "faggy rock". i don't know how else to explain it, but it's getting tiresome.

the raconteurs were aesome from moment one. jack white looks pretty bad though, he seems to have health problems or something. i only listened to five songs and went running to catch gnarls barkley, and they were great too. this was the hard moment for me during this thing, to have to get away from one great show to another.

the big surprise for me was galactic. people were insane over them. they nailed every beat, every song, every little thing. my plan was to leave early to get a nice spot for foo fighters but i couldn't. they were too good.

foo fighters was foo fighters. funny and appropiate to leave the fest in a high. loved the drum solo and the triangle solo...

i'm seeing antony at the johnsons at the Walt Disney Concert Hall on the 14th, and then seeing the Flaming Lips on the 18th  with a bunch of other bands, Nine Inch Nails and The Kooks and Stone Temple Pilots. It's going to be intense.
context, context, context.

modage

Saturday...

and FINAAALLY (last night)...
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

cinemanarchist

Girl Talk - tomorrow night

TV On The Radio - October 28th