PDL: THE SHOOTING SCRIPT

Started by Tommy Both, January 08, 2003, 02:08:47 PM

Tommy Both

:lol:  OH YEAH - received it finally today: my PDL COMPANION BOOK!
Too bad it doesn't have an intro by Paul himself - like with the Magnolia & Boogie Nights screenplays -
but still it looks cool - the hardcover that is ... -
Me is gonna go the bed in half an hour, with a big SMILE on my face:
Finally READING THE SCRIPT before SEEING the MOVIE and that with a movie like PDL & also knowing we back in business with a DECENT msg board!!!

Tommy Both

Quote from: mogwaiBy the way, did you get to see Hard Eight on Xmas Eve? You dedicated an entire thread by yourself at Sphinx's place to the movie.

:twisted: OHHHHHH YEAH I DID
Watched it 8½ times..... Fellini Style!! No just kidding, that's not possible of course... I was able to see it like 2 and ¾ on the 25th... The third time I just skipped to the parts of the AMAZING Score by Jon and Michael... ¿¿ I mean come on: can you think of a better duo to score your movie?? --> THEY RULE!!  - the combination/together that is -
Besides that, I really found out that I just like SYDNEY/HARD EIGHT so friggin' much, it's defintely in my top 3 of favorite DVDS - of course because of the commentaries.... -

aclockworkjj

The Shooting Script is pretty cool in the sense that I have only browsed through it, but have found a lot of things that weren't "dead on" when it came to the actual film.  Nothing major, but it's just kinda fun to imagine what was the reason for leaving this in, or taking this out....was it intentional or not?    Another kinda fun thing is to actually watch a movie while reading along with the script....I don't recommend doing this in the presence of the average movie goer though, as you will get many wierd looks!  haha  

Overall though, yes....very cool shooting script, I really like how the different colored pages denote different revisions and when they occurred....

Tommy Both

Quote from: aclockworkjjI don't recommend doing this in the presence of the average movie goer though, as you will get many wierd looks!  haha  

Well, I gotta say: I don't recommend opening the mailpackage that includes it in class, as you will get even more weirder looks  :P

Satcho9

I read the script as soon as I opened my package. I was reallllly dissapointed that there was no PTA intro.

MacGuffin

Reading the script, you can see how the footage of Barry picking up Lena in the "Here We Go" video was intended:

This is a SPLIT SCREEN SEQUENCE shot with TWO CAMERAS.

THE LEFT SIDE OF THE SCREEN holds Lena. She waits in her small, non-descript apartment doing the things you do while waiting for someone else. She sits, stands, sits, stands....

THE RIGHT SIDE OF THE THE (sic) SCREEN travels (STEDICAM) with Barry as he walks into the RECEPTION AREA. There is a SECURITY GUARD (black, female) who asks him his name, where he's going and to sign in. The Security Guard calls up to Lena's place....

I also find it funny, yet annoying, PTA's constant spelling of the word 'bussiness'.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Duck Sauce

Quote from: MacGuffin

I also find it funny, yet annoying, PTA's constant spelling of the word 'bussiness'.

I cant ever spell things right, like resturaunt....

Tommy Both

I find it still funny, they leave those little PTA thingies, like "legnth" instead of length, 'cause everytime he's wrong on that one!  8) Thank god it didn't have some scriptdoctor of Revolution Studios fuck it up.....

©brad

I was shocked to find a copy of the PDL screenplay at Barnes. I quickly found a soft couch to sit on and read about half of it, waiting for Gangs of New York to start next door. HOWEVER- the fucking thing was $25, which for paperback I thought was a bit steep. My Magnolia script wasn't that much, and it came with a long intro. w/ PTA, interview, and pretty pictures.

Tommy Both

Quote from: cbrad4dI was shocked to find a copy of the PDL screenplay at Barnes. I quickly found a soft couch to sit on and read about half of it, waiting for Gangs of New York to start next door. HOWEVER- the fucking thing was $25, which for paperback I thought was a bit steep. My Magnolia script wasn't that much, and it came with a long intro. w/ PTA, interview, and pretty pictures.

true true....
But you know what, fuck it man, I love memorabillia, and I bought this script especially because PDL won't come out here 'till like April or March, so I had these neurotic fuckin feelings, so I really wanted to read it first...
But everything's changed now.... since I know that P-DL will be shown at the only reasonable Film Festival of my country!! WOO-HOO!!
(for everybody not familiar with my tiny lil' country: www.filmfestivalrotterdam.nl)

MacGuffin

Quote from: cbrad4dI was shocked to find a copy of the PDL screenplay at Barnes. I quickly found a soft couch to sit on and read about half of it, waiting for Gangs of New York to start next door. HOWEVER- the fucking thing was $25, which for paperback I thought was a bit steep. My Magnolia script wasn't that much, and it came with a long intro. w/ PTA, interview, and pretty pictures.

I found my hard cover copy here for half price:
http://www.strandbooks.com/profile/?isbn=1557045690&itemno=0

Hurry 4 copies left.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

©brad

Thanks dude, good looking out.

MacGuffin

This came out recently for those interested:

Skeleton FilmWorks