..Your top five albums of the Year..(2003)..so far

Started by NEON MERCURY, November 16, 2003, 08:42:43 PM

SoNowThen

Quote from: themodernage02
Quote from: SoNowThenYouth And Young Manhood - Kings Of Leon
is this any good? i saw them twice when they opened for the strokes. thought they were okay.  i really liked "california waiting" so i came home and downloaded that which has been spun a bunch of times, but other than that it didnt really grab me too much.  change my mind.

I really like it. Then again, if it sounds nice and retro, and the songs are hummable, I'm pretty much a fan. I just really like the sound and the mix. It's by Ethan Johns, the same guy who did Gold for Ryan Adams. I think the album is pretty cheap, it's definitely worth a buy for a rock fan. Imagine the rock-ey stuff of early Bowie and Velvet Underground mixed with a heap of Rolling Stones...
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

godardian

1. Passionoia - Black Box Recorder

2. Das Capital: The Songwriting Genius of Luke Haines and the Auteurs

3. Singles - Suede

4. So Much for the City - The Thrills

5. Chain Gang of Love - The Raveonettes
""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

Stay informed on protecting your freedom of speech and civil rights.

Pubrick

Quote from: godardian1. Passionoia - Black Box Recorder

3. Singles - Suede

COOL,

DIVERSITY.
under the paving stones.

godardian

Quote from: P
Quote from: godardian1. Passionoia - Black Box Recorder

3. Singles - Suede

COOL,

DIVERSITY.

Not really. Those are just my favorite five albums of the year so far. I guess I could come up with plenty of ways each entry on the list is markedly different from the next, though.
""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

Stay informed on protecting your freedom of speech and civil rights.

SHAFTR

although limited...

1.)  Hail to the THief - Radiohead
2.)  Room on Fire - The Strokes
3.)  Elephant - The White Stripes

only other albums I have bought that are 2003 releases are Andrew WK's The Wolf, Zwan's Mary Star of the Sea and Pete Yorn's Day I Forgot.
"Talking shit about a pretty sunset
Blanketing opinions that i'll probably regret soon"

classical gas

How's Zwan?  never did hear much from them?  But I did love the Pumpkins..

...that is billy corgan's band, right??

modage

Quote from: classical gasHow's Zwan?  never did hear much from them?  But I did love the Pumpkins..

...that is billy corgan's band, right??

was, they broke up.  its worth a listen.  its kind of like if the smashing pumpkins made a concept album about being happy in the 70s.  i like "el sol" and "come with me" the best.  give it a download.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

TheVoiceOfNick

Mary Star of the Sea - Zwan
Counterfeit 2 - Martin Gore
Paper Monsters - Dave Gahan
Make Up The Breakdown - Hot Hot Heat

russiasusha

1)  The Mars Volta - Deloused in the Comatorium

2)  The White Stripes - Elephant

3)  Radiohead - Hail to the Theif

4)  The Shins - Shoots Too Narrow

Honorable mention even though it came out last year:

The Flaming Lips - Yoshimi Battles the Pink Robots --  I didn't get this little guy till January.  I have listened to it all year and it is probably my favorite album of all time.
Guess that means i'm back on zigzag!
Movies before 1930 suck

The Mars Volta/ De-loused in the Comatorium
British Sea Power / The Decline of...
Mew / Frengers
UNKLE / Never, Never, Land
ARE WEAPONS/ S.T.

there you go.  there you have my friggin'  picks... you can also have a piece of my heart, cuz i died a little inside.  :cry:
context, context, context.

mogwai

yeah yeah yeahs - fever to tell
mogwai - happy songs for happy people
the white stripes - elephant
goldfrapp - black cherry
jay-z - the black album

Sigur Rós

Quote from: chuckhimselfo
Mew / Frengers

Great, I agree.

Ghostboy

My revised list:

1. Speakerboxx/The Love Below -- Outkast
2. Out Of Season -- Beth Gibbons and Rustin Mann
3. Radiohead -- Hail To The Thief
4. Kelis -- Tasty
5. The Beginning Stages Of -- The Polyphonic Spree (I forgot this came out this year)
6. Dear Catastrophe Waitress -- Belle And Sebastien

Runners up: Nick Cave's Nocturama and British Sea Power's The Decline Of British Sea Power

Gamblour.

311 - Evolver
Dream Theater - Train of Thought
Incubus - A Crow Left of the Murder (not out yet, but it will be great)
Metallica - St. Anger
WWPTAD?

Quote from: Ghostboy5. The Beginning Stages Of -- The Polyphonic Spree (I forgot this came out this year)

did it?  i thought it was from last year.  then add it to mine. because  25 mf's can't be wrong
context, context, context.