Yeah Yeah Yeahs

Started by TenseAndSober, May 11, 2003, 04:00:23 PM

TenseAndSober

This is an awesome-fucking-band.  If you haven't scored Fever to Tell, or the YYY EP, then I suggest you get with the program and buy them as soon as possible.

"there is no, and this is no, Mo-dern Ro-mance"

godardian

I second that. My favorites from the album: "Rich," "Man," "Black Tongue," and "Maps."
""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

Stay informed on protecting your freedom of speech and civil rights.

Sigur Rós

Yeah Yeah, they are really great! I saw them live at Roskilde Festival last year. I've been listening to them alot lately.

Pubrick

i like the chick.

they're good.
under the paving stones.

godardian

Quote from: mogwai
Quote from: _|P|_i like the chick.
Me too. I'd do her anyday.

She is so blatantly, nastily sexually demanding, which is refreshing. To quote a great line from Strangers with Candy (best TV show EVER!): "She'd yank it off."

Her persona is less inviting than challenging, like, "Ya think you can handle me, punk?" Beware the raging, unforgiving erotic scrutiny of Karen O.- it's made lesser mortals shrivel up and die.

"As a fuck, son, you suck!" - Yeah Yeah Yeahs, "Bang"
""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

Sigur Rós

Quote from: mogwai
Quote from: _|P|_i like the chick.
Me too. I'd do her anyday.

I did her  :wink:

godardian

So anyways, Beavis and Butthead, how 'bout getting back to the music?

When I mentioned the band in another context on this board, I said they sounded like "White Stripes meet early Siouxsie Sioux, with a dash of Lydia Lunch thrown in."

Anyone else agree, or would you describe differently? Obviously, they have their own energy, but I would say the late '70s/early '80s were a huge influence, stuff like The Birthday Party, The Fall, Siouxsie, etc, maybe the poppier early Sonic Youth stuff.

modage

yeah i really enjoy them.  the rocking songs are of course really cool, but i think its the album and ep's slower moments that really make me  hooked.  it gives them more of a range than just "we rock".  maps, y-control, modern romance, miles miles away, our time.  i really like the end of both records.  did anyone else see them on conan last week?  karen o kept laughing during the song.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

godardian

Crap, I missed it. That's one thing about Karen O. and the band, though; they have a sense of humor and pure rock 'n roll savagery. They're really a fun band you can take seriously if you want.

rustinglass

"In Serbia a lot of people hate me because they want to westernise, not understanding that the western world is bipolar, with very good things and very bad things. Since they don't have experience of the west, they even believe that western shit is pie."
-Emir Kusturica

meatwad

"bang" is such a damn good song.

cowboykurtis

saw them this weekend -- karren o is very attractive -- good show -- and karren o is very sexy
...your excuses are your own...

Ghostboy

I'd never heard anything by this group until Maps started getting radio play, and its amazingness prompted me to ignore the fact that I have no steady income and buy the CD (even though I knew that one trip to Best Buy to pick up this album would result in my purchasing a smattering of albums, as I always do -- although I restrained myself well enough and only bought one additional item).

Anyway, it's been great these first two times I've listened to it -- really rough beautiful  stuff, punk rock enough, melodic enough, smart enough. I've only a vague idea of what Karen looks like, but her voice has this  texture of brazen fragility that is tantalizing.

They leave Pretty Girls Make Graves in the dust.

I think their next album will be better.
context, context, context.

GoneSavage

QuoteThey leave Pretty Girls Make Graves in the dust.
I don't detect any sarcasm here.  Have you noticed the fact that PGMG are very proficient in playing instruments where as the guy from YYY can't form even one chord?  Karen makes up for hitting bum notes live by throwing beer over everybody.  Good for her.

And I also love the fact that bands with girl lead singers only get compared to other bands with girl lead singers.