Mission: Impossible - Fallout

Started by Lottery, May 16, 2018, 09:26:01 AM

Lottery

Written and directed by Christopher McQuarrie

The trailers probably show a bit too much but it (as expected) looks bonkers and fun.
I mainly made this thread to draw attention to how much of a machine Henry Cavill is in this.

Drenk

Oh. A blockbuster that looks filmed and genuinely spectacular. That's refreshing. :)

I have high expectations for this one.
Ascension.

©brad

Do all trailers now have mini-trailers before them now?

WorldForgot

Quote from: ©brad on May 16, 2018, 01:29:53 PM
Do all trailers now have mini-trailers before them now?

Yes because IG/FB/Birdsite have become the new hubs and endless scroll means attention spanz lasts only 8 seconds, 12 MAX.

Robyn

anyone seen it yet? some quotes from RT raised my expectations quite a lot. for example:

QuoteNot only is it the best movie of the summer, it's also one of the best action films of all time.

QuoteThe stunts are reminiscent of "Fast and Furious" via 'Tokyo drifting' cars, has the feel of "Mad Max," while distinctly retaining its own identity with HALO jumps and more.

QuoteThe sixth movie in the Mission: Impossible series is a truly maximalist work of art. The plot is stupid but the stunts are terrifying, the tension vibratory, the muscles rippling. In short, it's a masterpiece.

WorldForgot

I think it definitely has some of the best stunts of all time. Depending on what tone you prefer, though, it's hard for me to reconcile this as best of the series even. The sneak preview for FIRST MAN was giving off Dunkirk lvlz of claustrophobia.

I liked this movie but Eighth Grade and Sorry to Bother You are still what I'll be urging friends to peep.

modage

The setpieces are some of the best action of the year/last few years, but the movie is completely silly junk like the last two. I had fun, and it's worth seeing on the big screen, but feels like the collective lowering of the bar that this thing is being praised as the best since Fury Road or the Dark Knight or Skyfall of the M:I series. The first one is still by far the best and actually feels like a real movie with characters. The last 3 feel like set-pieces with bad dialogue stitched in-between to fill up scenes.

1 > 3 >>> 6 & 5 > 4 > 2

I'm glad Cruise wants to do his own stunts, but I'm mostly sad for him that instead of trying to work with the world's best directors he's trying to retain his Movie Star-dom by any means necessary, and that means only doing films he thinks an audience will accept from him. Mission Impossible films, and films that feel like they could be Mission Impossible films and sci-fi and otherwise franchise starters. R.I.P. Movie Stars.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

pete

I think there were a few really cool stunts here. I also think we've been grading American action movies on a curve where any time anyone does anything remotely practically we're ready to dub them Errol Flynn. It bug the shit out of me with John Wick, where Keanu Reeves basically stretched out Tom Cruise's nightclub fight from Collateral into feature length, repeating the same eight moves over and over, and people went ape-shit. And now with Cruise too - don't get me wrong - I love that he went skydiving and piloted a helicopter - but now I'm reading articles that says he's been doing his own stunts for "40 years" and there was a lot of retroactive crowning. I think Marvel has set us back 20 years and now we're all confused about what's good action and what isn't.
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

©brad

I'd buy that (the Marvel bit, and everything else). I've yet to see this, but I did rewatch Rogue Nation on TV and the dialogue is really bad. I thought Christopher Mcquarrie could pen a script? Was Usual Suspects an anomaly?

These movies remain a guilty pleasure so I'm excited to see this one in the theaters. I still think no one has come close to capturing the magic of DePalma though. Brad Bird maybe got closest.

polkablues

Quote from: ©brad on August 02, 2018, 03:08:02 PM
I still think no one has come close to capturing the magic of DePalma though.

Interestingly, it doesn't even seem like any have tried. Much like Justin Lin did with the Fast and/or Furious franchise, J.J. Abrams really set the template of what a Mission Impossible movie "is" with the third one, and Bird and McQuarrie seem to have mostly built off of that. The first two M:I movies were entirely their own things, but the past four have very much been of a piece with each other.
My house, my rules, my coffee

pete

felt like JJ Abram's MI3 was much closer to Fast 4 - it's a much-needed piece for re-branding purposes but nothing in the installment itself was that well-executed, compared to the installments to come.
- Buster Keaton

polkablues

100%. Each established an identity for the series, but were immediately blown out of the water by the next three installments.
My house, my rules, my coffee

jenkins

this is a personal fact that deviates from the course, which is my substyle, but this one comes with a prolepsis: it does fit perfectly into an overall theme of the conversation.

then i must build up the story itself, rather than deliver the punchline immediately. i am 17 in Ohio. i work at Taco Bell. i hang out with the disheveled personalities, that's my friend-type and a reflection of me. they come in all varieties. these two are like this: one was a guy who was into being positive and  making ridiculous discoveries, normal fun-guy type, and the other was a girl who was blonde and her variety usually hangs out with the prettiest men but she had a slice of the mystery in her like us. okay what we decided to do after their prom was over, my school didn't have a prom, well i had church clothes, so, in order to do what felt like a true good idea at the time: the three of us dressed in those clothes and went to see The Fast and the Furious. i'd already seen it. i think she hadn't. what did the night feel like? an ideal night of friendship with interlocking pitches, complete harmony, the personal best F&F experience i ever had, the first one. never had a better experience with the franchise.

also at the end i mention this as rhetorical and expect the conversation to movie on in some other fashion, absolving myself the dangers of this post, in order to leave it behind peacefully.

Drenk

I wish I had a story like that for MI6 because I spent the movie being mostly bored—it was just nice, you know, walking through Paris to get to the movie theater before seeing Tom Cruise rushing through those streets in a motorcycle. Friends act as if I were crazy. I enjoyed Rogue Nation a lot, it was dumb fun but...fun, you know. That's all I'm asking for. This one is dumb and boring.

And ultimately the car/motorcycle chase in Rogue Nation was better than the one in Paris, even if I'm amazed that they managed to get those shots there. I loved the ending, the helicopter chase. But I can't shake more than one hour of total boredom. Is Tom Cruise worried that he's too nice? Does he need that much to be reminded of his awesomeness by the women in his life? Does he miss Katie Holmes or he is trying to create a meta narrative about Katie Holmes? How many times does he say "It doesn't matter" when characters ask him about what's happening?

The plot is a mess of boring half-conspiracies with half sketched characters and the movie spends so much time exposing that mess.

I'll be great on YouTube. Or with drinks and friends you can be loud with. (And a remote.)
Ascension.

pete

I don't mind the plot, especially when it leads to two pretty silly but satisfying "gotcha" moments at the beginning and the middle of the story. What I did notice tho - was the beginning when Tom Cruise/ Ethan Hunt totally opened the movie using QAnon catchphrases "a storm is coming/ I am the storm" - did anyone else catch that? That's a pretty insane dogwhistle.
- Buster Keaton