Author Topic: Baby Driver  (Read 3390 times)

pete

• The Master of Two Worlds
  • freakin huge
  • Respect: +361
    • my site
Re: Baby Driver
« Reply #30 on: July 24, 2017, 04:02:42 PM »
+3
I just watched that opening scene again 'cause youtube has it and I hate that main dude's face even more. I don't think I was ever convinced that this kid actually enjoys music or has experienced any amount of pain (I also just realized that it's painfully obvious Ryan Gosling doesn't love jazz music either). I think this dude would've been much more interesting as a black character by the way - just based on what the script calls for - name is Baby, lives in a bad Atlanta neighborhood, dad/ grandpa's black, mom sings soul music...etc.

actors who successfully portray their love of something in a movie:

Tom Cruise (jazz, Collateral)
Virginia Madsen and Giamatti (vino, Sideways)
Peter Dinklage (trains, The Station Agent)
Jeffrey Wright (Basquiat)
Patton Oswalt (cooking, Ratatouille)

actors who did not pull it off:
Ryan Gosling (La La Land)
EVERYONE FROM WHIPLASH
Robert Redford (comic books, three days of condor)
I dunno I feel like there might be others
“Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot.”
- Buster Keaton

polkablues

• Child of Myth
  • Admin
  • Respect: +1758
« Reply #31 on: July 24, 2017, 04:13:37 PM »
+1
Can you imagine this movie with Michael B. Jordan or Lakeith Stanfield as Baby? 95% of my issues with the film would be solved.
Now you're in the *spoiler* place.

Drenk

• The Magic Flight
  • Respect: +446
« Reply #32 on: July 26, 2017, 03:19:32 PM »
What a dumb movie. If the action was at least entertaining, but no...

I read that he wrote the screenplay a long time ago. It was probably in a collection of scripts and called Wet Dream Number 15.

A different actor wouldn't have saved it. Look at how he wasted Jon Hamm...

I'm so many people.

polkablues

• Child of Myth
  • Admin
  • Respect: +1758
« Reply #33 on: July 26, 2017, 05:25:44 PM »
I don't know, Jon Hamm was my favorite part of the movie until he turned into the T-1000 towards the end.
Now you're in the *spoiler* place.

Drenk

• The Magic Flight
« Reply #34 on: July 26, 2017, 05:39:33 PM »
When he kissed his girlfriend all the time? We had snapshots of some kind of interaction with Baby but all the false drama and mistrust was very weird to me. The whole sequence at 2am with his recording was flat.

I was so ashamed for the movie everytime Debora was on screen. I cringe easilly, but it was too much. It's only eye candy. Or he's writing her like some sort of bland fantasy on purpose? It seemed like the movie tried to be genuine while smiling a little.

I watched Dunkirq yesterday, and I realize that you also have handsome silent men in it, but you could really project life in them. Everything in Baby Driver has the "you could be in an add for toothpaste" look.

A cameo made me smile.

I'm so many people.

BB

• The Vision Quest
  • Respect: +90
« Reply #35 on: July 26, 2017, 07:26:38 PM »
I know there are many getaway driver movies and they're all kinda similar, but I was shocked how much this is the exact same movie as Drive. Different tone, but the same hook, same story, kinda the same characters. Remember at the time hearing Gosling/Refn say it was about a guy who drives around listening to pop music cause that's the only way he can feel. I guess here the pop music stops him from feeling, but still. Unreal.

Drenk

• The Magic Flight
« Reply #36 on: July 26, 2017, 07:43:11 PM »
But I like Drive. (Watching it, I did think that the opening scene was like a bad version of the opening scene from Drive.)
I'm so many people.

DMCA & Copyright | Terms & Conditions | Privacy Policy