INHERENT VICE (No Major Spoilers)

Started by cronopio 2, December 02, 2010, 09:51:28 AM

Reel

I have the book. It's the one novel I'm most excited about reading. I just don't know what it has in store for me since I haven't read Pynchon and am not familiar with his writing style, but if PTA is adapting it I know I'm in for a treat, so I must prepare for that. I think I'll save it for a winter read, it seems like the type of thing I could tear through in a few snowy days...

DON'T SPOIL THE BOOK!!!

BB

Quote from: Jeremy Blackman on October 13, 2012, 10:30:38 AM
This does sound exciting. I'm torn on whether to read the book.

I've read the book and it only made me more excited for the film. Spoilers-schmoilers.

DocSportello

The book is one of the most entertaining I've ever had the pleasure of reading. But I'm the main character so I guess I'm biased.  :wink:

All kidding aside though I can't wait to see who will play Bigfoot. Any guesses from those who have read it? Needs to be someone tall and intimidating with a large personality but they need to be sufficiently older than Downey Jr. (assuming that's who gets cast as Doc). John Goodman seems the most obvious choice to me. Bill Murray could work maybe. That'd be dope.

Ghostboy

When I read it, I couldn't imagine anyone other than Bob Einstein (Marty Funkhauser on Curb Your Enthusiasm) as Bigfoot.

DocSportello

That could work, but please, call the man by his real name:

picolas

SOMEONE POST THE TOWN HALL DISCUSSION MP3 THX!

BB

Bob Einstein would be awesome. I can see Ron Perlman playing Bigfoot. Or the brother from Everybody Loves Raymond...

Robyn

Robert Downey Jr. Still Attached To 'Inherent Vice'; Charlize Theron Possibly Joining As Film Gears Up
http://cigsandredvines.blogspot.se/2013/01/robert-downey-jr-still-attached-to.html

Wow, well this certainly comes as a surprise. According to Showbiz 411 (via The Playlist) things are already gearing up for "Inherent Vice." The article states the obvious (that 'Vice' will be PTA's next film & Annapurna are once again financing), the unconfirmed (that Robert Downey Jr. who had originally been pegged to star is still attached) and drops one new casting rumor: that Charlize Theron may be joining the film as well. See below:

There were a lot of internet rumors and some clues over the last week. Now I can confirm that Paul Thomas Anderson's next film will be an adaptation of Thomas Pynchon's novel "Inherent Vice." And also, it does like Robert Downey, Jr. and perhaps Charlize Theron will be the stars, with more names coming. After disappointing box office on "The Master," PTA is said to be interested in having a moneymaker.

I can tell you that the brilliant and relatively young Megan Ellison is going to produce via her Annapurna Productions. Ellison is also busy prepping David O. Russell's next one, "American Bullshit," with Bradley Cooper and Christian Bale and, obviously, a new title.

Pynchon is notoriously reclusive. The legendary author of "Gravity's Rainbow" and "V" has lived for years right here in New York, married to literary agent Melanie Jackson. He's our J.D. Salinger, meaning no one ever sees him. (Other writers like this include Thomas Harris, the creator of Hannibal Lecter, who lives in Sag Harbor, and Harper Lee, who used to be in New York and is now down south in what I'm told may be assisted living.)

Pynchon did narrate a video for "Inherent Vice" which can be –and has been–found on You Tube. I'm told he thinks very highly of Anderson, who's met with him a lot. "Pynchon only wants Paul to make this movie," says a source. And we do too. More: "It's closer to Boogie Nights than any of his other films."

Back in December PTA named Charlize as one of the actors/actresses he'd most like to work with so this doesn't really come as a surprise. "Charlize Theron I think is dynamite.  She's so great," he told Sirius. Pretty thrilling that "The Master" hasn't even opened in certain territories yet (or landed on Blu-ray) and we're already talking about the next one. Any readers who have read the novel want to guess on who Charlize might be playing? Sound off in the comments but no spoilers please.

Pre-order "The Master" on Blu-ray or DVD.
Stay tuned to Twitter and Facebook for the latest news and updates.

modage

I said this already but seriously, how amazing is it that "The Master" isn't even out on Blu yet and not only do we know what his next project is, but it's already gearing up with financing and casting in place?

Maybe the 00's dark ages of the 5 year waits are over.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

polkablues

Finally someone figured out how to put their trust fund to good use.
My house, my rules, my coffee

Kellen

Another p.t. flick done and another one in the works already. 

Does this mean Paul has been cured of his Kubrickitis?

Alexandro

wasn't kubrick actively looking for a moneymaker after barry lyndon and hence made the shinning?

HeywoodRFloyd

Quote from: Alexandro on January 08, 2013, 06:31:07 PM
wasn't kubrick actively looking for a moneymaker after barry lyndon and hence made the shinning?

I think Kubrickitis is a symptom in which an auteur has massive 5 year gaps between their films.

MacGuffin

Quote from: Kellen on January 08, 2013, 03:43:28 PMDoes this mean Paul has been cured of his Kubrickitis?

No, it means he got a vasectomy.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Fernando

to be fair, when Kubrick was in the same age range as PTA he made three films in the 60s. Lolita, Dr. Strangelove and 2001, that's two and four years apart from each other.

he then was ready to make Napoleon and the studio didnt bank the project, which led him to make ACO and four years later Barry Lyndon.

it's after The Shining when he took the longest (at that time), right now cant remember if he had another project before FMJ.

a few years after FMJ he was ready to film Aryan Papers and Spielberg RUINED that for all mankind....

having said that, im ecstatic too that PTA is ready to make another film.  :multi: