INHERENT VICE (No Major Spoilers)

Started by cronopio 2, December 02, 2010, 09:51:28 AM

polkablues

Seriously, fuck that guy. Incidents like this are all the proof you need that old-school entertainment media is rotting outside its grave.

EDIT: Trolling the dude like crazy, by the way. Who cares to join me?
My house, my rules, my coffee

Lottery

What a douche-canoe.

Quote from: Kellen on May 01, 2013, 03:05:30 PM
I'm curious to hear your guys thoughts are you glad that Robert Elswit is back on board or would you rather see what Paul and Mihai Malaimare Jr could do for a couple of pictures?

Elswit is fantastic but I'd really like to see PTA work with Mihai again at some point. Seriously, I struggled to believe how good The Master looked when I first watched it.

Also, I think old Paulie could do a good job of adapting Vonnegut. I would like to see that.

polkablues

Quote from: Lottery on May 01, 2013, 05:23:09 PM
Also, I think old Paulie could do a good job of adapting Vonnegut. I would like to see that.

Oh good god, yes. A PTA version of God Bless You Mr. Rosewater, or Jailbird, or Cat's Cradle, or (though George Roy Hill's version is pretty much fantastic and definitive) Slaughterhouse-Five... my pants are already coming off.
My house, my rules, my coffee

Pubrick

Quote from: polkablues on May 01, 2013, 05:00:12 PM

Reelist, you need to get in on this.

Time to redeem yourself after the debacle in the drunk tank.
under the paving stones.

jenkins

Quote from: polkablues on May 01, 2013, 05:31:33 PM
Quote from: Lottery on May 01, 2013, 05:23:09 PM

Oh good god, yes. A PTA version of God Bless You Mr. Rosewater, or Jailbird, or Cat's Cradle, or (though George Roy Hill's version is pretty much fantastic and definitive) Slaughterhouse-Five... my pants are already coming off.
i can golden bridge this with a recent link to an article from a young hollywood actor whose first book comes out soon (i've read it, it's good, good publisher too):

http://thoughtcatalog.com/2013/the-6-most-intense-experiences-ive-had-with-art-so-far/

i'd like pt to aim back at pt alone, but vonnegut has supporters, definitely

Lottery

Do you folks want Jon Brion back or Greenwood or someone completely new?

Reel

Quote from: Pubrick on May 01, 2013, 05:35:01 PM
Quote from: polkablues on May 01, 2013, 05:00:12 PM

Reelist, you need to get in on this.

Time to redeem yourself after the debacle in the drunk tank.

I have a secret account made especially for trolling. This dude's fucked.

Neil

Reelist's post made me laugh out loud.

if I knew what trolling was, I would be all over it.
it's not the wrench, it's the plumber.

wilder

Pynchon has a new novel, Bleeding Edge, coming out September 17.

Bleeding Edge is set in New York City, "in the lull between the collapse of the dotcom boom and the terrible events of September 11," and concerns Silicon Alley, New York's community of high-tech companies. It centers on Maxine Tarnow, "your average working mom" who runs "a nice little fraud investigation business on the Upper West Side, chasing down ... small-scale con artists." She's had her license revoked, and "now she can follow her own code of ethics—carry a Beretta, do business with sleazebags, hack into people's bank accounts." Maxine "starts looking into the finances of a computer-security firm and its billionaire geek CEO," and "soon finds herself mixed up with a drug runner in an art deco motorboat, a professional nose obsessed with Hitler's aftershave, a neoliberal enforcer with footwear issues, plus elements of the Russian mob and various bloggers, hackers, code monkeys, and entrepreneurs, some of whom begin to show up mysteriously dead. Foul play, of course."

The book's publisher, Penguin, calls it "a historical romance of New York in the early days of the internet, not that distant in calendar time but galactically remote from where we've journeyed to since". First page below.

MacGuffin

EXCLUSIVE: Kevin J. O'Connor To Re-Team With 'The Master' Co-Star Joaquin Phoenix For 'Inherent Vice'
Source: Cigs and RV

Chicago-born character actor Kevin J. O'Connor has been kicking around Hollywood for quite some time and along the way has racked up an impressive resume working with the likes of Francis Ford Coppola, Robert Altman and of course, Paul Thomas Anderson. PTA cast the chameleon-like O'Connor in his last two films as a character who is eventually beaten mercilessly by the leading man (alternately Daniel Day-Lewis and Joaquin Phoenix). Why do we bring this up? Well, we have received word that O'Connor is set to re-team with PTA once again to film an as yet unspecified role in "Inherent Vice" where the actor will join the esteemed ranks of John C. Reilly, Philip Baker Hall and Luis Guzmán in the PTA Three-Timers Club. For those who have read the book, do you have any guesses for who O'Connor might be playing (and does that character at some point get beaten within an inch of their lives)? Leave your guesses in the comments. Filming on 'Vice' is set to get underway later this month so there should be lots more casting announcements to come.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Lottery

Yes, yes. I am so happy that Kevin J. O'Connor gets to work with PTA again.

Pubrick

the dude is now officially a motif.

brb, writing ten thousand words on his ten minutes of screen time.
under the paving stones.

Cloudy

Has anyone been curious about the quiet shift from Annapurna to Warner Bros? That's a huge deal.

modage

Quote from: Cloudy on May 06, 2013, 02:08:35 PM
Has anyone been curious about the quiet shift from Annapurna to Warner Bros? That's a huge deal.
It's not really. I think AP wanted to make the movie but WB prob just made a better offer. Def no bad blood or anything.

Bigger question is: What's in this script (and/or who's in the cast) that made WB want to fork over the dough? Cause you know PTA still has final cut and approval over all the marketing. So with Joaquin in the lead, they must see something in this project that they can use to get people into theatres but having not read the book I have no idea what that might be.

The coolest part of this is that everyone thinking that post-'The Master' box office PTA will never be able to get anybody other than AP to finance his weird shit is immediately silenced by this news. WB stamp of approval = huge sign of confidence for the movie.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Cloudy

I never was thinking bad blood either. Exactly, I'm more curious about how the project got Warner to take over. Should be a really tight script. I feel like when he recently named his favorite screenplays (pulp fiction, sweet smell of success, network, dr.strangelove...etc) there may have been something there. He could be hitting that sort of feel, but in his own trajectory.