The Master - Spoiler-Free Thread

Started by MacGuffin, December 02, 2009, 10:12:15 PM

MacGuffin

Anderson, Hoffman at Altar on Religion Pic
By: Mike Fleming, Variety

"There Will Be Blood" writer/director Paul Thomas Anderson has found religion, and Philip Seymour Hoffman, for his next film.

Anderson has written an untitled period drama that is set up at Universal. Hoffman, who has played supporting roles in most of Anderson's past films, would this time be the centerpiece.

Hoffman will play "The Master," as in "master of ceremonies," a charismatic intellectual who hatches a faith-based organization that begins to catch on in America in 1952.

The core is the relationship between The Master and Freddie, a twenty-something drifter who becomes the leader's lieutenant. As the faith begins to gain a fervent following, Freddie finds himself questioning the belief system he has embraced, and his mentor.

Anderson's treatment of religion was cynical in "There Will Be Blood." Here, the scrutiny isn't specifically directed toward faith-based movements like Scientology or Mormonism that are newcomers compared to established religions. Anderson explores the need to believe in a higher power, the choice of which to embrace, and the point at which a belief system graduates into a religion. . 

Universal, which has become very selective about green lighting adult dramas, won't make a decision on Anderson's $35 million budget pic until he delivers his finished script. His hope is to make the picture next year, sources said.

Anderson's frequent collaborator, JoAnne Sellar, is the producer. 

Hoffman made his breakthrough in the cast of Anderson's "Boogie Nights," and has also appeared in the Anderson-directed "Hard Eight," "Punch-Drunk Love" and "Magnolia."

Neither the studio nor reps for Anderson or Hoffman would comment.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

polkablues

I for one wish these up-and-coming young filmsters the best of luck with their project.
My house, my rules, my coffee

matt35mm

Oh my fuck.

There's a sweet irony about an exploration of religion coming from the man I worship.

SiliasRuby

Fucking awesome. Something to seriously look forward to.... A sigh of happiness just breathed through my mouth.
The Beatles know Jesus Christ has returned to Earth and is in Los Angeles.

When you are getting fucked by the big corporations remember to use a condom.

There was a FISH in the perkalater!!!

My Collection

Stefen

This is after Metal Gear Solid, right?
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

polkablues

Quote from: MacGuffin on December 02, 2009, 10:12:15 PM
Here, the scrutiny isn't specifically directed toward faith-based movements like Scientology

Uh-huh.   :yabbse-wink:

I look forward to PSH's take on his completely fictitious character, H. Rod Huggard.

Tom Cruise will be quietly judging him like crazy after this movie comes out.

Gold Trumpet

The Metal Gear Solid reference made me laugh out loud.

I still have to admit I get giddy whenever I hear real news like this about PTA. The concept is great and if PTA continues on with religious subject matter, he may be setting himself up to be an American counterpart to Robert Bresson. That would be amazing. I'm not religious, but I always knew if I ever became a filmmaker, one of my main goals would be to take the American version of the road that Robert Bresson took in his dedication to Christian themes and subjects. It sounds like this project won't be specifically about Christian ideologies, but it will have to take on a lot of modern notions of religiosity that everyday Christian evangelists today believe in.  

Also, the excellent idea is that PTA can develop something that began in There Will be Blood. Someday he may even be able to have a body of work that makes Magnolia come off as slightly naive in its notion of spirituality. That would be the greatest compliment for PTA - to develop that much.

Pubrick

FIUCKLLKFKFK FLFLFL

FKJFKFKFK

FKFKFKFK FICKKFICKKCKC

FKKF

intelligible thoughts to resume in 10,001+
under the paving stones.

Kal

PTA + P all in one day?

Stefen

PTA pwned your main goal, GT. Another thing to add to the PTA is a fucking jerk thread.

"Dood, wtf? I wanted to be the American Bresson. It was my main goal!"

"You snooze, you lose."

"lol."
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

Pedro

I am so excited.  As someone with a decisively negative view about religion in general (no offense to the religious), I am excited to see him explore/attack it in a more direct manner.

Stefen

Am I the only one not feeling another project with religious subject matter? Everything PTA touches turns to gold, so no worries there, but the best thing about CMBB is that it was a complete departure for him, yet still felt like PTA. Here he seems to be exploring some of the same subject matter (religion) as CMBB.

I like the idea of PSH starting a NEW religion and people following him. I think that could be fun with what PTA could do with it. I hope that's the route he takes. Sounds like it.  :yabbse-thumbup:

picolas

it sounds like the sister movie to twbb, kinda like how maggie is boogie's sister. (pdl and sydney are only childs).

oh and FUFCKCKJCdkjsdksDFSDJFK

Stefen

^I like that idea. Sister films.

For some reason, when I think of this and it's setting, I'm getting a Badlands type of vibe. I can't even imagine how beautiful 1952 America will look through Elswit's lens.

polkablues

Let's get some speculation going on who's going to play Freddie. I hear the kid from "Even Stevens" is popular nowadays...