Top Living American Filmmakers

Started by New Feeling, August 03, 2008, 02:32:28 AM

Sleepless

Doesn't this have something to do with why we have some directors who have dedicated forums while others don't?
He held on. The dolphin and all the rest of its pod turned and swam out to sea, and still he held on. This is it, he thought. Then he remembered that they were air-breathers too. It was going to be all right.

Stefen

TS, I thought it was a valiant effort at starting a thread for the first time. Don't let this scare you away from doing it again. Tough crowd, I know, but don't mind them.
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

Reinhold

Quote from: Alexandro on August 03, 2008, 12:18:37 PM
Quote from: cinemanarchist on August 03, 2008, 11:47:01 AM
Tim Burton is better than Soderbergh...riiiiight.

i would say so. burton's output in the eighties to mid 90's is infinitely better than anything soderbergh has ever made. bubble is the best film he's done since out of sight. never been a fan of erin or traffic, solaris is good though, but all the exercises in genre and that stupid, unbearable ocean's sequels are enough for me to say without hesitation that burton wins. and unlike the majority of people around here, i laughed a lot with charlie and the chocolate factory and the corpse bride, could appreciate (though not really enjoy) sweeney todd (i hated the music) and really was only disappointed by big fish, a little.

have you seen schizopolis? it might change your opinion.
Quote from: Pas Rap on April 23, 2010, 07:29:06 AM
Obviously what you are doing right now is called (in my upcoming book of psychology at least) validation. I think it's a normal thing to do. People will reply, say anything, and then you're gonna do what you were subconsciently thinking of doing all along.

Fernando

My top 5ive:

1. Malick
2. Lynch
3. Fincher
4. PTA
5. Spike Jonze

Speaking of Malick, Tree of life is listed at imdb as being in post production, I didn't even know it started filming, I hope that's true.

Alexandro

i've been meaning to watch alexander revisited but i haven't found it on any videostore to rent, or sell, actually. still, i know it will be hard for me to ignore vangelis's score, which was one of the things that turned me off the most about alexander, and of course, collin farrell's wig...

i must admit i haven't seen schizopolis. anything could change my opinion, of course. i think i admire soderbergh more than i enjoy the films by themselves. that happens to me also with malick. i love and feel like i'm flying when i watch days of heaven, but i do have a hard time with thin red line and the new world, mainly like halfway through of both films. intellectually they are awesome, but i can't say i enjoy them as much as the films from the other directors i mentioned. if i were to be more objective malick would be in the top 5.

Stefen

I always get Fernando and Alexandro mixed up.  :ponder:

I'm sorry, guys.
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

Jeremy Blackman

Let's keep it short...

1. Lynch
2. PTA

New Feeling

Quote from: cron on August 03, 2008, 09:18:49 AM
nolan, gibson, and darabont are not american

removed Nolan and Gibson, but Darabont was raised in America so I'm leaving him in. 

added Joss Whedon and Crispin Glover. 

Alexandro

New Feeling

brockly

i love lists. my top 5:

1. lynch
2. pta
3. malick
4. jonze
5. fincher

fincher is on there pretty much based on one movie. i wasn't a huge fan until last year. looking over new feeling's list, tho, there's no other living american director who im obsessed with right now. benjamin button will decide whether he stays or goes.

context, context, context.

Alexandro