Podcasts

Started by cron, October 31, 2005, 06:33:32 PM

in addition, the wil anderson live podcast pretty much has to be seen and not heard. i dont even know why they do audio of live dollops. its live, so they're obviously trying to be visually entertaining as well, no ones trying to just sit and watch some dudes read an article. so yeah, if you haven't yet, watch the youtube versions of both live dollops, gareth is obviously high as fuck and its hilarious.

I EMAILED DAVE AN IDEA FOR THE DOLLOP AND HES GONNA DO IT AND HE TALKED TO ME OMGOMGOMGOMG IM A LITTLE GURL

Reel

Quote from: 03 on May 03, 2015, 02:57:22 PM
I recently started listening to other podcasts but dollop is still my favorite. You definitely turned me on to the Robert Kelly podcast but I guess I prefer ones that are more like a story instead of a long conversation. Recommendations?

Sorry for the late reply. I don't know of any others like 'The Dollop', but can't stress enough that you at least give Walking The Room a shot if you like Dave Anthony. Also, he was on an episode of The Crabfeast this week that is fucking incredible, mostly hilarious stories of him growing up in Marin County.

Everyone's podcast taste is so damn specific so instead of pushing them on you, these are my faves:

You Know What Dude?- This is always my first podcast of the week. I listen to it every sunday at 9 immediately when it comes out

Legion Of Skanks- The self proclaimed "Most offensive podcast on planet earth". These guys pull no punches. They'll say things that make you hate them, but if you keep listening you'll know it's all in good fun.

Cashing In- This has taken the place of 'Walking The Room' for me. Two guys just yammering away about the little things in life, their tagline being "Answering the questions you don't have." I wish I could begin to explain how much joy it has brought me. There are so many inside jokes, lingo, and 'Cash Phrases' that I have to suggest you start with Ep. 1 to keep on track.

The Hooray Show-  Horatio Sanz and comic/actor friends reminiscing about their careers in showbiz interspersed with improv bits, just a great hang.

With Special Guest Lauren Lapkus- Quite possibly the funniest woman alive, she's known for her various characters on 'Comedy Bang Bang' and in this show they all make special appearances with the guest star filling in as host. They put on fake radio shows with the most obnoxious guests and ridiculous topics, knowing that the entire thing is improvised with so little prep makes it even better.

nice! thanks homie

yeah i just like the story style of dollop. i enjoy starting one place and ending up somewhere completely different and shocking. the back and forth banter is great, but i just love the progression of weird tales. can't remember the name right now but that weird murder podcast that jeremy used to talk about is similar, just horrifying.

so i submitted a story to dave anthony for one of his australia podcasts, the taman shud case, shoutboxers might remember me and axo talking about it back in the day, and he was super down with it then he proceeded to do like two that were not it, and were honestly not amazing. so i sent another email about it and he released like another two that were also not it. so i'm pretty sure he's doing this just to spite me.

i listened to walking the room per your recommendation WAY long time ago, and although i dont like it as much as dollop, the two episodes that gareth are on are fantastic and great nerd shit to eat up if you like the dollop. the origin of the gareths name joke, etc.

i checked out YKWD? bc of you as well and was very impressed. thanks for your recommendations dude.

Reel

Quote from: 03 on May 17, 2015, 06:03:47 PM
so i submitted a story to dave anthony for one of his australia podcasts, the taman shud case, shoutboxers might remember me and axo talking about it back in the day, and he was super down with it then he proceeded to do like two that were not it, and were honestly not amazing. so i sent another email about it and he released like another two that were also not it. so i'm pretty sure he's doing this just to spite me.

come on, man. you can't hold that against him! He's probably got hundreds of things backlogged besides his own personal list. I'm sure he'll get to it and that's cool you corresponded with him anyway. Listen to his crab feast episode

Reelist can you link me the thing where Maron talks about Dave Anthony's laugh I can't find it

Reel

Its from marons walking the room episode. Gimme a few hours, i'll find it

Edit: man, we are blowing up this thread. Someone else talk!

Another Edit: Thanks for bringing this up because when I searched it out I discovered they finally put out their farewell episode!

thanks man! yeah we'll stop blowin up when serial 2 comes out

so reelist can we do a xixax podcast where i film myself while im on the phone with you on speakerphone? since that other shit didnt work out? and we can talk about shit and i'll edit it. we'll call it 'dial 03: the xixax podcast'.
edit: you can *67 if you want. this goes out to anyone.

ok reelist you're going to have to explain the appeal of 'who charted' to me.
i've just gone through five episodes and this shit is just fucking awful.
i don't understand this howard dude. he's obnoxious and boring and doesnt really make jokes.
he has the demeanor of someone who used to be addicted to methadone, he just stares wide eyed and his tone sounds completely fake, he sounds like he's trying to say something hilarious but then he says normal sentences.
he does these weird songs before each segment that i thought were supposed to be ironically bad, but they obviously put thought into them so in the end it just sounds like he's shitty at doing things. the guests are usually amazing but they have so little to play off that it feels like a waste.
whenever they play the samples of songs everyone just looks really uncomfortable when it should be a great opportunity for something visually funny. otherwise what's the point of them filming it?

so i'd like you to recommend me your favorite episodes of the show because i'm the kind of guy that will not dislike something just based on opinion. i want to see evidence of it's quality.

Reel

First off, my apologies for yet another bump to this thread.

In response to your last two questions that I somehow missed:

Quote from: 03 on May 24, 2015, 02:06:29 PM
so reelist can we do a xixax podcast where i film myself while im on the phone with you on speakerphone? since that other shit didnt work out? and we can talk about shit and i'll edit it. we'll call it 'dial 03: the xixax podcast'.
edit: you can *67 if you want. this goes out to anyone.

I'm gonna have to go ahead and say No to that idea because that's an awful concept. The sound quality would stink, that's not a podcast. Keep throwing these at me and maybe one will stick.

about who charted?, I don't know what to tell you. It's impossible to like the show if you can't get around Howard. It took some warming up for me too, I thought "Who is this old man?" at first. Listening to the audio version, I pictured him as a 5 foot tall, balding 60 year old. I'm not sure what it was that made me start to appreciate him, it must be the total contrast of energy that kulap brings to the relationship. I haven't been listening to this one for a couple weeks now because it feels very surface level, like they're just going through the motions and not trying to dredge up any real humor. If you choose to keep listening, the key is to pick a show with a good guest like your Zach Galifianakis, Patton Oswalt, Dave Anthony or what have you.

really you're just wasting your time if you haven't started listening to Cashing In

Dude have you heard missed in history? It's chick dollop

Jeremy Blackman

Three new podcast recommendations:

We Got This

"Every week, Mark Gagliardi and Hal Lublin take the dumb issues in life that people care too much about and settle the argument once and for all."

Pick a topic that interests you. They're all good (that I've heard so far). I especially enjoyed the Beatles, Star Wars, and Shower vs. Bath episodes.

I Was There Too

The Inlgourious Basterds episode is my favorite thusfar.

Mortified

"Witness adults sharing their most embarrassing childhood artifacts (journals, letters, poems, lyrics, plays, home movies, art) with others, in order to reveal stories about their lives."

Episode #1 is quite good, so start there.

©brad

Nice recos JB. I'm liking "I was there too" a lot.

I highly recommend Mystery Show, which is getting a lot of press right now. Each week this woman solves a different mystery. Unlike Serial there's no ambiguity, she does reach a conclusion in every episode. There are wonderful, unexpected character moments too that are so touching. JB you will love it I think.

Jeremy Blackman

Quote from: ©brad on August 08, 2015, 10:46:12 AM
Nice recos JB. I'm liking "I was there too" a lot.

I highly recommend Mystery Show, which is getting a lot of press right now. Each week this woman solves a different mystery. Unlike Serial there's no ambiguity, she does reach a conclusion in every episode. There are wonderful, unexpected character moments too that are so touching. JB you will love it I think.

I've been listening to Mystery Show. Episodes 1 through 4 are amazing and everyone should listen to them.

I'm not so sure about the latest 2 installments, though. "Kotter" was interesting enough but (spoiler alert) didn't have a satisfying conclusion. "Source Code" almost turned me off from the podcast entirely. They had 20 minutes worth of content and padded it out with torturous unfunny cuteness. Maybe I'm just not a fan of Starlee Kine's personality. The podcast is strongest when she lets the "case" take over.

"Belt Buckle" is the best one for sure. That was genuine and profound. "Vanity Plate" is my runner-up.