PDL OSCAR CHANCES

Started by Tommy Both, January 13, 2003, 04:11:15 PM

Duck Sauce

Quote from: GirlonthemoonBut this ain't any old message board....

Why do you have to be a guy to appreciate the works of PTA?

Woah woah there. Who said you had to be a guy to appreciate PTA or any other director? I was just pointing out that we got another female on this board, and Im happy to see it. No hard feelings. Welcome.

Pwaybloe

Uh Oh!  It looks like Duck Sauce has a little crush.  Check out the PM he just sent me:

Quote from: Duck SaucePaw, dude, Girlonthemoon is so hot.  Do you think I should ask her out? Yes or No?

Girlonthemoon

Whoops, I did lash out a bit there. I've already been called a ho on these boards and I guess I'm still a bit touchy! LOL!

No offence taken, Duck Sauce.
Hud at ya blades...

Duck Sauce

Quote from: PawbloeUh Oh!  It looks like Duck Sauce has a little crush.  Check out the PM he just sent me:

Quote from: Duck SaucePaw, dude, Girlonthemoon is so hot.  Do you think I should ask her out? Yes or No?

Pawbloe, why did you tell her!?! :oops:

Xixax

Okay, I am getting ready to be sacreligious, so if you are easily offended, please skip this message...

Am I the only one that was not so blinded by the fact that this movie was done by PTA that I could still see that PDL was, by and large, completely mediocre?

I mean, hey... I loved that it wasn't the same old Adam Sandler schtick, and Emily was wonderful, and it was beautifully shot, and yadda yadda yadda, but damn... I walked out of the theater saying "eh..."

I'm not dissing the movie, mind you. But there wasn't a voting option above to allow me to express my feelings that PDL was about as good as Sydney (in a totally different way)... Not bad, but not the masterpiece that Boogie Nights or Magnolia were.

It's like everybody going off about "Greek Wedding". I've seen hundreds of so-so movies like that over the years. Not bad, but not earth shattering. Just ok. All this oscar talk is beyond me.

No offense, mind you. Paul is a master of the art. But PDL isn't his best work, and there were many films in 02 that were better.

There I said it. I will now prepare to be excommunicated from this community of believers. Oh, wait. I can't be excommunicated. I own the joint!
:roll:
Quote from: Pas RapportI don't need a dick in my anus to know I absolutely don't want a dick in my anus.
[/size]

fulty

Quote from: XixaxThere I said it.
:roll:

P-D-L changed my life, thank you very much.
Tinapop  

I used to be smart.... now I'm just stupid.

Gold Trumpet

Two years ago, I would have agreed completely with everything Xixas and may have been in the situation where I was almost forcing myself to like Punch-Drunk Love because who made it and everything.

I think the relationship between Punch-Drunk Love and PTA's two main successes show the difference in how a lot of people watch movies. Boogie Nights and Magnolia completely work in the very technical way movies are usually made. They are like the three act play extended where it is 1.) Introduction of characters and situation 2.) conflict and 3.) resolution. Both movies have a power of telling movies through this way and still are great, but the more you watch movies, the more out dated you see how this structure is when it puts all movies into a complete context of how they must be and everything. Yea, they change in what they show and how they show it, but you still can spot the structure from a mile away. I'm tired in general of this structure but am not afraid to appreciate great creativity made within its structure. It's just when I see a movie that goes outside with great purpose and imagination, I get even more excited.

Punch-Drunk Love is made on what feeling it is trying to show. Everything in the film is used to bring forth a feeling, from the music to how it was filmed and edited. But the feeling for the film is for the moods of a character, and that could never really follow just a movie plot. A lot of people do think Citizen Kane is overrated, but I absolutely love it and find it one of the funnest films to watch of any movie because there is so much craft and creativity put into the making and structuring of the film that you are watching it for this and getting your enjoyment from this. Before, I wanted to watch movies for a powerful story that I thought was maybe unique but more and more I search now instead for the complete craft of how they shot every single shot and structured and everything they used to show what they wanted to show. That's why I responded greatly to Minority Report because it was the most innovative film by Speilberg ever in that it was completely endless in ideas to the very end, so much so that the movie ending in a genre way was a minor detail when considering all the creativity through out the film.

I think as people who are serious about movies and wanting to know how to make them, that Punch-Drunk Love will be a movie that grows more over time because the best way to love it is to analyze for its feeling and how creative it is in trying to show it. Most movies drag their characters through plot points and it gets old and I think Punch-Drunk Love and Minority Report will be two of the very few number of movies today that actually survive 40 years and still seem fresh. This is my opinion to be kicked around if anyone wants to.

~rougerum

Xixax

Quote from: The Gold TrumpetI think Punch-Drunk Love and Minority Report will be two of the very few number of movies today that actually survive 40 years and still seem fresh.
Except for the fact that in 40 years, precrime will supposedly be happening in about 5 years.

That was my only beef with Minority Report. It was set in the too-near future. No way we're going to be parking cars outside our skyscraper windows in just 50 years. 500 maybe. 50, no.
Quote from: Pas RapportI don't need a dick in my anus to know I absolutely don't want a dick in my anus.
[/size]

Gold Trumpet

Actually, if you wanna know the backstory. Speilberg assembled all the leading experts in the world who had the best knowledge of what could be possible in the future and what could  for a weekend to discuss what could actually be realistic in 50 years. Everything you see in the movie is what they all thought could actually be possible believe it or not. But Minority Report stands with 2001 and will be even more interesting to see what has been realized and what hasn't as 2054 approaches.  It's art though, not fact.

~rougerum

Travis Bickle

don't scare the chicks away nerds.

MacGuffin

Quote from: Travis Bicklenerds.

Please, we prefer 'socially challenged'. Thank you.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

picolas

i like to go by LORD SUPREME: King of Goblins and Magic. that or Cleetus.

RegularKarate

Quote from: The Gold TrumpetActually, if you wanna know the backstory. Speilberg assembled all the leading experts in the world who had the best knowledge of what could be possible in the future and what could  for a weekend to discuss what could actually be realistic in 50 years.~rougerum
and by "experts", he means "graphic novelists"

Gold Trumpet

sphinx

Three years before production began, Spielberg assembled a team of sixteen future experts in Santa Monica to brainstorm out the year 2054 for him. This team included Neil Gershenfeld of the Media Lab at MIT; Shaun Jones, director of biomedical research at DARPA (Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency); William Mitchell, dean of the school of architecture at MIT; Peter Calthorpe, the New Urbanism evangelist; and Jaron Lanier, one of the inventors of virtual reality technology.