pulp

Started by Rudie Obias, January 06, 2004, 05:55:40 PM

Rudie Obias

we are all common people made up of mis-shapes, mistakes, misfits.  we dance, dance, dance to the anthem of disco 2000.  we love life because this is hardcore!  are you sure?

i love pulp!
\"a pair of eyes staring at you, projected on a large screen is what cinema is truly about.\" -volker schlöndorff

context, context, context.

godardian

I absolutely adore Pulp. Seems they're now sort of unofficially broken up, though.

Jarvis Cocker has a new side project, "Relaxed Muscle." A joke, but an interesting and fairly funny one, with some good tunes. Anyone heard it/of it?

I really, really loved the last Pulp album and credit it for getting me into Scott Walker. If that was the way they had to go out, there were worse ways to go. Especially "Wickerman"- an epic encapsulating the entire Pulp vision into eight minutes of beautiful, witty, wry melodies and lyrics. Transporting.
""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

Stay informed on protecting your freedom of speech and civil rights.

Pubrick

Quote from: godardianJarvis Cocker has a new side project, "Relaxed Muscle." A joke, but an interesting and fairly funny one, with some good tunes. Anyone heard it/of it?
i don't get it.
under the paving stones.

godardian

Quote from: P
Quote from: godardianJarvis Cocker has a new side project, "Relaxed Muscle." A joke, but an interesting and fairly funny one, with some good tunes. Anyone heard it/of it?
i don't get it.

Me getting slash-happy... I meant, has anyone either heard the record, or if not, have they at least heard of it... By joke, I meant the concept of this two-person "band" and the purposefully disposable sound and hilariously lascivious/overblown/"dirty"/pun-heavy lyrics are meant to be a joke... like a parody of those horrible yet hilarious Wax Trax! bands of yore.
""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

Pubrick

oh, right then. i'l check it out post haste.

pulps good, and jarvis was on the last ever Ali G so that's cool too.
under the paving stones.

mogwai

Quote from: Ppulps good, and jarvis was on the last ever Ali G so that's cool too.
"help the aged"

"elp da mothafukkin' aged"

that's not the last ali g show, there's a new show with him as ali where he's in america and shit. it's not as funny because there's no studio audience/laughing track.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0367274

Pubrick

cool, yeah, i stopped watching after that episode.
under the paving stones.

godardian

Jarvis has the most unexpected across-the-board appeal. I find that he and Luke Haines (and, for a while, Brett Anderson) were the great pop artists of the nineties, but Haines has that tiny/devout following thing going, where Cocker was like, "our droll, bookish, sardonic underdog idol" AND "da FUCKIN' MAN!!!" simultaneously. Which is really, really unique. I know of more people who find him sexy... not me, though. I just think he's brilliant. I don't want to HAVE him, I want to BE him.

SheffieldSean

Jarvis is a truly excellent songwriter and one of the underground's most important figures. Pulp are currently on hiatus, but I for one hope they'll be back. I've got the Relaxed Muscle stuff and even when he is obviously playing for laughs he cannot help but write some genius lyrics.

I saw him at a gig here in Sheffield late last year alongside Richard Hawley (who is also in Relaxed Muscle). He did a version of Rock On by David Essex and it was perhaps the most bizarre thing I've ever seen. As for Hawley, well he plays onstage with Pulp and he's absolutely fucking brilliant...check out his solo stuff you won't regret it. He and Jarv have just come back from NY after working with Nancy Sinatra and I know they're planning to work with Lee Hazlewood again. Hawley has also been asked to co-write Brett Anderson's first solo album. He's also available for bar-mitvahs and opening your local supermarket.

Richard Hawley website
Back off man. I'm a scientist.

SheffieldSean

In fact, if you go to the Hawley site and register on the message board Hawley regularly writes on there...so join up and ask a real live member of Pulp what's going on!
Back off man. I'm a scientist.

godardian

Quote from: SheffieldSeanJarvis is a truly excellent songwriter and one of the underground's most important figures. Pulp are currently on hiatus, but I for one hope they'll be back. I've got the Relaxed Muscle stuff and even when he is obviously playing for laughs he cannot help but write some genius lyrics.

I saw him at a gig here in Sheffield late last year alongside Richard Hawley (who is also in Relaxed Muscle). He did a version of Rock On by David Essex and it was perhaps the most bizarre thing I've ever seen. As for Hawley, well he plays onstage with Pulp and he's absolutely fucking brilliant...check out his solo stuff you won't regret it. He and Jarv have just come back from NY after working with Nancy Sinatra and I know they're planning to work with Lee Hazlewood again. Hawley has also been asked to co-write Brett Anderson's first solo album. He's also available for bar-mitvahs and opening your local supermarket.

Richard Hawley website

Cool, cool, cool!!!  I hope that Nancy Sinatra project sees the light of day soon. Morrissey wrote a song for it that sounds brilliant (well, I'm biased).

I loved Jarvis's song on Marianne Faithfull's Kissin' Time. Best of the batch, I thought.

godardian

Does anyone else have/heard of this album:

...it's my favorite Lush album and has a duet with Jarvis, an anti-love song called "Ciao!" that's really funny and kind of biting and mean, too. My favorite!  :)

Another spot o' Jarvis trivia: In addition to contributing "We Are the Boyz" to the Velvet Goldmine soundtrack, he was considered to play the "Jack Fairy" role, but they went with the other guy instead. Who did a really fine job and had the whole look and body language perfect, but still... it would've been cool if Jarvis had done it.

The Obstruction

Quote from: godardianI absolutely adore Pulp

Yeah they are really cool. If just the english people cold have forgotten Oasis and Blur for a while, (back in the 90's) and insted devoded their time for the geniuses in PULP.
I fucking hate Blur and Oasis, they stinck when you first discover PULP.
"I don't like the word ironic. I like the word absurdity, and I don't really understand the word 'irony' too much. The irony comes when you try to verbalize the absurd. When irony happens without words, it's much more exalted." David Lynch

godardian

Quote from: Dr. Strangelove
Quote from: godardianI absolutely adore Pulp

Yeah they are really cool. If just the english people cold have forgotten Oasis and Blur for a while, (back in the 90's) and insted devoded their time for the geniuses in PULP.
I fucking hate Blur and Oasis, they stinck when you first discover PULP.

I like a fair number of the tunes created by both Blur and Oasis, some of which are very good, but no, they don't hold up as well as Pulp simply because neither Damon nor the unibrowed brothers had anywhere near the vision, wit, or style of Jarvis and Co.