the smiths / morrissey

Started by phil marlowe, March 30, 2003, 12:18:24 PM

MacGuffin

Quote from: godardian on April 09, 2006, 10:30:55 PM
...and has anyone bought/heard the album yet?

I think it's his best album since Your Arsenal. While it might not have some of the stand-out tracks like Quarry did, Ringleaders feels a more complete album; sounding at times like a companion to Viva Hate, in its orchestrations and arrangements.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Gloria

Quote from: godardian on April 09, 2006, 10:30:55 PM
Wow...I'm the only person who ever posts here anymore.  :yabbse-cry:

I haven't been able to listen to all of the songs yet.  I look forward to hearing it all and then posting my review as well!

modage

i am just not digging it.  the arrangements, the songs themselves, the way he sings them.  nothing.  :yabbse-sad:  i dont know whats wrong with me.  i used to love morrissey.  favorite songs are Speedway, Jack The Ripper (live from M.E.B.Y.), Why Don't You Find Out For Yourself, pretty much all of Vauxhaul & I and My Early Burglary Years.  i even like a few songs off Maladjusted better than anything on the last two albums.  i'll give it a few more tries to see if anything sticks.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

godardian

Quote from: modage on April 21, 2006, 10:04:09 AM
i am just not digging it.  the arrangements, the songs themselves, the way he sings them.  nothing.  :yabbse-sad:  i dont know whats wrong with me.  i used to love morrissey.  favorite songs are Speedway, Jack The Ripper (live from M.E.B.Y.), Why Don't You Find Out For Yourself, pretty much all of Vauxhaul & I and My Early Burglary Years.  i even like a few songs off Maladjusted better than anything on the last two albums.  i'll give it a few more tries to see if anything sticks.

Anything sticking yet? Here's a thought (just a thought and not meant as a criticism but a guess as to an explanation): your taste seems to run to the more "indie" type stuff, which might encompass a lot of your Morrissey faves that you mentioned. But Morrissey's aspiration has never been to be indie, per se; he believes in the idea of the pop icon of worldwide renown who touches millions of people the world over. I think his aspiration is really to be some impossible combination of Johnny Rotten and Frank Sinatra. I think if you approach this album and the last one from that understanding, you'll be better able to appreciate what's going. Just a thought. If you don't like it, you don't like it.

""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

Stay informed on protecting your freedom of speech and civil rights.

godardian

I've finally completed my little obsessive essay about the album. It somehow ended up involving a re-scrutinizing of David Lean's Summertime (the "something special" I mentioned before--hope I didn't oversell it!). It is posted here.

I ask your advance forgiveness for the lack of any real vetting/copy-editing process for this. I cleaned it up as best I could with the amount of time/energy I have left. It was three weeks in the making, so I hope I've done the record at least some justice.
""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

godardian

One of the very few reviews/assessments of the man or the album to get it right (in my opinion) can be found on Slate.

MacGuffin

Morrissey announces where he wants to be buried

Morrissey has revealed that his search for his perfect final resting place may be over.

Speaking to the Daily Record, the former Smiths frontman cited the celebrity cemetery Hollywood Forever in his former hometown of Los Angeles as his preferred graveyard.

He declared, "I like Hollywood Forever. I've sat there for a very long time and felt quite good about it."

The singer explained that he decided on the cemetery after visiting the grave of Ramones singer Joey Ramone.

"I always felt I wanted nothing more than my name, birth date, death date, and all three names, Steven Patrick Morrissey," he said. "And I've even considered putting money down for reserving a spot."

For now though the singer is still very much alive, and even played a show at the weekend near his preferred graveyard at the Hollywood Bowl.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

godardian

Might you have been witness to the Hollywood Bowl show, McG? (Any other Angelenos who made it?)

I saw the Spokane show, the Seattle show, and the San Diego show, in that order. The first show was interesting; it was moved to a very small general-seating venue that transformed the performance into something very intimate, very sweaty, a bit shambolic, but nice. The second show, in Seattle, was superb. The San Diego show was beset with security and sound problems, so the big M was very irritable and left without an encore. It was at a lovely outdoor bay-front venue, but the show has to be considered a disaster. All in all, I could've just stayed home and gotten the best show! (Though I have to say, having never really been to Spokane before, it is quite a charming little city, at least the part I saw, and the drive east--through the middle part of the state--on a mildly warm spring day was gorgeous.)

MacGuffin

Quote from: godardian on June 12, 2007, 01:08:45 PM
Might you have been witness to the Hollywood Bowl show, McG? (Any other Angelenos who made it?)

Sadly, no. Not really a fan of the Bowl and I had no one to go with anyway. I missed the Pasadena show too.  :yabbse-cry:

Skeleton FilmWorks

MacGuffin

Moz, bloggers, downloads and mall music
Source: Los Angeles Times

Morrissey today announced a 10-night stand at the Hollywood Palladium -- the final shows at the venue before it closes down for renovation. The dates are Oct. 1 through 13 (Moz takes three nights off during the run), and before you crack wise about the number of people (some you may even know) who will attend every show, know that promoters are offering a special deal for fans who want to attend every show.

Starting at 10 a.m. Monday, package deals giving the Moz faithful 10 nights for the price of nine go on sale. The deal also gets attendees a commemorative ticket, the opportunity to go to the head of the queue and, presumably, much better odds of catching the man's shirt when he tosses it into the crowd near the end of the show.

How much are the tickets? This just in: The special packages are $391.50. before the leviathan surcharges Ticketmaster is sure to add. That would put single-night tickets at about $43.

Skeleton FilmWorks

godardian

MacGuffin

Quote from: godardian on August 25, 2007, 10:29:40 PM
So, are you gonna go, McG?

If I can get a ticket. I'm sure it'll sell out fast. Ideally, I think I'd like to see Oct. 13's show.

Skeleton FilmWorks

MacGuffin

Skeleton FilmWorks

Stefen

If you're not seeing every show, you're not a real fan.

How hard was it to get tix for the last night?
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

MacGuffin

Quote from: Stefen on September 08, 2007, 12:11:30 PM
If you're not seeing every show, you're not a real fan.

How hard was it to get tix for the last night?

Quick, then again, I was only buying one.

Skeleton FilmWorks