Nuevo Cinema Paradiso

Started by Ultrahip, May 30, 2005, 06:40:15 PM

Ultrahip

All apologies if this already has a thread; I could not find one.

Had my first viewing of this film and I think it is mostly amazing. The childhood bits are certainly the best and most magical, and the love story is somewhat...well, awful, actually. And the military stint felt rushed to say the least. However, the reel of all the kisses that were ever cut was one of the most beautiful and exquisite endings in memory.

Thoughts from Xixax...?

Gamblour.

I can't let this go unanswered.

I saw this movie a while back, the director's cut. I friggin loved it. My friend's mom is convinced the shorter version is better, but I couldn't tell you. But yes, the ending is quite possibly one of the greatest in cinema.
WWPTAD?

Redlum

Does anyone know what all the films were in the reel of kisses? I swear I saw His Girl Friday in there.
\"I wanted to make a film for kids, something that would present them with a kind of elementary morality. Because nowadays nobody bothers to tell those kids, \'Hey, this is right and this is wrong\'.\"
  -  George Lucas

ono

I thought this film was pretty overrated myself.  Too long, and not nearly as affecting as all the rave reviews would have you believe.  I was a victim of the hype, I guess.

lamas

i agree.  it strove too hard to be cutesy with all the likable, quirky characters.  i've seen it all before in Amarcord.  i also think it's corny as hell for one film to express such a love for previous films.  but, that's just me i guess.  it was good, but definitely not as great as many people think.