The Machinist

Started by Teen Wolf, October 20, 2003, 02:38:28 PM

Teen Wolf

It's about a guy who works in a factory who is suffering from insomnia.  It was directed by Brad Anderson, who I think is an interesting director. Something to look forward to...

Weak2ndAct

Actually, no it's not.  I read the script, and unless some major rewriting gets done, it's gonna have some problems.  I'd tell you what the worst part of it is, but I'd hate to spoil the *twist*, though it's something that could be seen coming light years away.

cowboykurtis

i thought session 9 was a SACK of shit.
...your excuses are your own...

Weak2ndAct

Quote from: cowboykurtisi thought session 9 was a SACK of shit.

Oh yeah, that movie's ass to the millionth power.  I liked Next Stop Wonderland a lot, but I think that has to do more with Hope Davis than anything.  Still haven't seen Happy Accidents.

But back to 'The Machinist,' Christian Bale is the lead, if that means anything to ya.

Teen Wolf

I can't comment on Session 9 because I haven't seen it. I thought Happy Accidents was cute, though. I'd be interested to see it again because I saw it under somewhat unusual circumstances the first time. I had been traveling around Europe and hadn't had the chance to see any movies for over a month. I was going through withdrawls. Then I stumble upon a theatre playing this movie. I thought it was great, though I'm a little suspicious about whether this is not dissimilar to, say, a man who has gone without food for several days proclaiming a piece of moldy cheese to be delicious -- know what I mean?

In regard to The Machinist, I hope they did some rewrites or something. I am a fan of Christian Bale, so I will probably be going to see this movie regardless. Where did you read the script, anyway? Is it online? You know what's funny is that Scott Kosar, the writer of this movie, got hired to write the Texas Chainsaw Massacre remake based on his Machinist script. Were there any redeeming elements in it?

Weak2ndAct

Quote from: Teen WolfYou know what's funny is that Scott Kosar, the writer of this movie, got hired to write the Texas Chainsaw Massacre remake based on his Machinist script. Were there any redeeming elements in it?
Okay, so the Scott Kosar story (which I got from Fuller/Form at Platinum Dunes).  The Machinist was a spec that Kosar wrote that got passed around town.  It's kind of got a pre-Memento thing going on w/ insomnia (there a notes around his apt., things appear/reappear for no reason).  For a while, things are generally creepy and strange, the story's kind of interesting b/c you know something really awful is going to happen sooner or later.  There's hookers, machine mutilations, paranoia and other craziness... but when another mysterious character (with a deformed hand) shows up, it changes the direction of the story... and ultimately leads to a horrendous twist reveal (again, I can't say what, would ruin it).  Kosar went in to pitch Chainsaw, apparently broke and disheveled.  It was his idea for the opening of the remake that got everyone interested, everyone had been in and pitched nothing they were interested in.  So now he's a successful screenwriter.  The guys at Platinum Dunes told me this is an 'inspirational tale' for me to rewrite one of my scripts w/ them for free.

edison

Cecil

Slick Shoes

Apparently, Christian Bale lost 65 pounds for this role. They say his performance is Oscar-worthy. We'll see...

ProgWRX

Trailer/feature here :

Bale looks like he's dying!!  :shock:
-Carlos

MacGuffin

The Machinist Operating at Paramount Classics
Source: The Hollywood Reporter

Paramount Classics has snapped up distribution rights from Filmax International to Brad Anderson's Sundance Film Festival selection The Machinist, starring Christian Bale.

The speciality division has aquired rights to the film in North America, the UK, South Africa, Latin America, Australia and New Zealand. It is planning a late-2004 release.

The film, which also recently screened at the Berlin International Film Festival, stars Bale as factory machinist Trevor Reznik, who has not slept in a year. His lack of sleep has led to a deterioration in his physical and mental health, and he struggles to come to terms with his breakdown.

Jennifer Jason Leigh, Michael Ironside, Aitana Sanchez Gijon and John Sharian also star.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

meatball

Bale looks awesome.

And I miss Teen Wolf.

Just Withnail

That trailer seemed more like someone fast forwarding through the movie, stopping at what probably was the best bits.

You know when you look at a piece of paper from the side? Bale kinda looks like that. Even though I thought the movie (judging from the trailer) looked pretty bad, you've got to hand it to Bale for loosing all that weight. He saw some potential in it, that's for sure.

Pubrick

without watching the trailer/allowing myself to be sodomized by the devil, i just know this will be ALRIGHT.
under the paving stones.

Weak2ndAct

Yeah, so the movie blows.  It really should be called 'Session 9 Redux,' seeing as how Brad Anderson has gone out of his way to creep out and mislead his audience towards a climax that is hardly cohesive and barely satisfying.  

The most interesting thing about the flick is Christian Bale's weight loss, which will induce gasps of shock from any audience.  I mean, the dude seriously looks like he just stepped out of Auschwitz.  One moment he extends his chest as a joke, and it's the creepiest thing I've seen in ages.  It's a shame that he went to such drastic lengths to alter his appearance for such an unfulfilling movie.

The same gripes I had with the story are still there, only amplified.  There's a fine line between mystery and confusion, and Anderson let things fall on the side of the Genesis video with puppets.

Technically, the movie is decently put together, the Hitchcock-ian score being the most effective element.  And oddly enough, the movie was shot in Spain, which is doubled for Los Angeles.  Not entirely sure why this was done.  Even more oddly enough, there's nary a Spainard in sight (save for one prominent character-- who I now suspect was cast to fulfill a tax shelter qualification) which made me laugh because I can spit out my window and hit a hundred Spanish speaking people here.  Yes, I know they're Mexican, but still...

And watch out for the unintentional Starship Troopers homage :wink: