Mystic River

Started by MacGuffin, August 25, 2003, 04:47:15 PM

Jeremy Blackman

Why does Brian Helgeland have a photo gallery?

modage

do you really have to ask?

because he is AMAZING
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

pete

whoa it was really good.  felt a little bit like boston.  one of the darkest movies I've seen in a long while.  I think the last dark movie I've seen was like talented mr. ripley.
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

MacGuffin

Powerful film. Penn completely captured the feeling of someone who has lost a loved one. When he was screaming "Is That My Daughter In There???!!!" and the cops were holding him back, I lost it. His performance just connected with me. Also goes for the scene with him at the mortuary and he lays the dress on the daughter's body. Pretty much everything else has been said already: nice pace, great acting from all and I too am with the consensus on the ending.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Pozer

Quote from: MacGuffinPowerful film. Penn completely captured the feeling of someone who has lost a loved one. When he was screaming "Is That My Daughter In There???!!!" and the cops were holding him back, I lost it.

Me too. That was so great....

**WHINY SPOILER WORD**
....but I had some problems with this film. Such as Kevin Bacon's phone/wife scenes. I don't really know why they bugged me, I guess because they seemed too bland. And I really didn't like when she calls him right after the moment with him knowing that Penn killed Robbins. It seemed so thrown in or something, and he smiles and says "come on over" erasing the thought right away that one of his childhood friends has been murdered by another friend.
I guess that was his character though.

Wow, Stephen King says this movie is a classic. I thought it was good, but clouded with flaws.

Pedro

part of the ending bothered me...seemed like there were about 4 places to end it... but i think:

:!:it would have been just fine to have ended it with penn walking away in the street... :!:

MacGuffin

Quote from: Pedro el Fascolomispart of the ending bothered me...seemed like there were about 4 places to end it... but i think:

:!:it would have been just fine to have ended it with penn walking away in the street... :!:

I would have ended it right after the flashback of the car pulling away, and the reverse on the adult actors...FADE OUT.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Pedro

Quote from: MacGuffin
Quote from: Pedro el Fascolomispart of the ending bothered me...seemed like there were about 4 places to end it... but i think:

I would have ended it right after the flashback of the car pulling away, and the reverse on the adult actors...FADE OUT.

mmm...delicious as well

or maybe penn walking in the street and then a fade onto that shot of the river at the end...i love dem aerials

Pozer

YEAH
Should have ended it with the RIVER teaser trailer with Eastwood's voice over.

Pedro

Quote from: The Real PoserYEAH
Should have ended it with the RIVER teaser trailer with Eastwood's voice over.
tremendous

NEON MERCURY

*******************POSSIBLE SPOILERS WARNING PHUCK OFF*** :wink:

........ i liked the way it ended..(although i agree w/MaCG about his alt. ending)..
but w/ the way it does in it poses more dread and dispair .....th eonly hope is possbly for bacon's character..meeting up w/ his ex....but I though it hit even deeper when at the fair thing it shoes marcia's character wondering around(all is lost kind of vibe)......and the "sileny" exchange between penn and bacon sealed it......leaves you hanging isn an appropreate way

SHAFTR

I FINALLY saw this film and was a fan, but not as big of a fan as I thought I would be.  The acting and direction was top notch.  My only problems were with the script, perhaps I would know more had I read the novel.  I agree with the ending, it didn't sit well with me.  On the street, it should end there.  I cringed from that point onward.  There are a few 'hammy' parts but I can forgive that.  Had the film ended on the street, it would probably be a solid A- film.  With the current ending, I would give it a B.  Again, performances and direction were top notch.
"Talking shit about a pretty sunset
Blanketing opinions that i'll probably regret soon"

Gold Trumpet

*spoilers, i guess*
The acting was excellent, yes, but the story was so genre it hurt. The first half was detailed banality of "clue by clue" to finding the killer. Of course, as all bad crime novels go, the obvious suspect wasn't the actual killer. It was a killer that made sense only after some explaining and that line of logic still very slim. Bacon's character was excellent as a moral center, but the film just had to give him a dramatic subplot of some foreign romance that was skated around at best. It had little to do with the story and with a ressolution so simplistic it again, hurt. Laura Linney's bedroom speech to Penn could be seen as Penn reaching a point in his life where he doesn't believe in the way of life she describes anymore, or it can be seen (as I saw it) as a cheap attempt to give really a minor character a great importance through a speech out of nowhere when it went against her character interaction before of crying and welcoming other people to her home for funeral arrangements. Penn's a known criminal so its expected his wife come up with a "cuckoo clock" logic to dignify it without facing the reality of it. Its also known he killed the wrong man, so of course how can he really believe in his life? Bad fucking drama, really.

Like I said before, the acting was excellent. The non intrusive directing and high photography of Boston only realized the realism in the acting better. The plot was a joke that it could be anything better than a well made genre piece.

bonanzataz

i'm glad i'm not the only one who doesn't think this movie deserves title of "best movie of the year." i mean, it was alright and there were great parts, but as a whole it was just not that good. it seems every article i read has people talking about how "real" the people in this movie are. maybe there are a few people who have been in hollywood too long. there were parts that made me cringe at how NOT real some situations in the movie were. there were also parts that i loved, but to call this one of the best of the year is an overstatement.

i saw this movie last month, but i keep coming across people praising it in interviews and i wanted to know why! IS THERE SOMETHING I'M MISSING OR IS MY MIND JUST CLEARER THAN EVERYBODY ELSE'S?!?!?!
The corpses all hang headless and limp bodies with no surprises and the blood drains down like devil's rain we'll bathe tonight I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls Demon I am and face I peel to see your skin turned inside out, 'cause gotta have you on my wall gotta have you on my wall, 'cause I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls collect the heads of little girls and put 'em on my wall hack the heads off little girls and put 'em on my wall I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls

Gamblour.

Quote from: taz.
i saw this movie last month, but i keep coming across people praising it in interviews and i wanted to know why! IS THERE SOMETHING I'M MISSING OR IS MY MIND JUST CLEARER THAN EVERYBODY ELSE'S?!?!?!

I don't get it either. If this takes any oscar home...I'll quit believing in the validity of the oscars! (again)
WWPTAD?