Chemical Pink

Started by BonBon85, February 27, 2003, 02:57:35 PM

BonBon85

I've read a few things about Fincher teaming up with Fight Club writer Chuck Palahniuk again to adapt Katie Arnoldi's Chemical Pink.

From Chuck's site:
This isn't just some rumor... Chuck has plans to meet with Fincher soon to discuss the book's passage into screenplay. I still haven't read the novel but Chuck told me it's basically about a man going through a mid-life crisis who gets off on dating young female bodybuilders. Once the man has them ensnared in his seduction, he gets them steadily hooked on steroids and testosterone pills. He then makes them do all sorts of fetishistic things for his pleasure. And once the girl's are so far gone that they have started growing beards he dumps them and moves on to the next.

I'd love to see Fincher work with Palahniuk again, but I don't know if Fincher's into doing things this twisted anymore.

Xixax

Quote from: BonBon85I don't know if Fincher's into doing things this twisted anymore.
And after seeing Panic Room, I'd say that's a damn shame.
Quote from: Pas RapportI don't need a dick in my anus to know I absolutely don't want a dick in my anus.
[/size]

budgie

I agree. I had a look at Panic Room again and love the first half but then it's a case of what happened to the style? As though he got bored with it or something.

BonBon (or anyone), have you read Chemical Pink? It's very strange that Chuck sees the central character as being the bloke, when to me it was definitely the woman he makes over. Knowing that Chuck 'n' Dave were thinking about a movie, I kept imagining it as such, and it would make a good one but the ending is kinda weak. There doesn't seem to be much more said about such a plan, though, as far as I can see.

MacGuffin, you should read it if you haven't, cause it very much reminded me of your stuff, stylistically as well as thematically. In fact, you should write the screenplay, not Palahniuk (wonderful as he is).

MacGuffin

Quote from: budgieMacGuffin, you should read it if you haven't, cause it very much reminded me of your stuff, stylistically as well as thematically. In fact, you should write the screenplay, not Palahniuk (wonderful as he is).

:oops:  :kiss:
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

©brad

mac, can we read your stuff?

Gold Trumpet

That storyline is the silliest storyline that is question to be turned into a movie this week for me. And that's still bad. Even if this was done by the great excellence of a director like Kubrick at his best, I still don't think I could get past how ludricrous that story is. Most really good twisted plots, always seem like generally normal stories with a few nuts or bolts missing, or with some added. This seems all nuts and bolts that are suppose to be just extensions of the normal story.

~rougerum

Xixax

I'm beginning to wonder if GT likes *anything*!
Quote from: Pas RapportI don't need a dick in my anus to know I absolutely don't want a dick in my anus.
[/size]

Pedro

Quote from: XixaxI'm beginning to wonder if GT likes *anything*!

Only 2001.

budgie

Quote from: The Gold TrumpetThat storyline is the silliest storyline that is question to be turned into a movie this week for me. And that's still bad. Even if this was done by the great excellence of a director like Kubrick at his best, I still don't think I could get past how ludricrous that story is. Most really good twisted plots, always seem like generally normal stories with a few nuts or bolts missing, or with some added. This seems all nuts and bolts that are suppose to be just extensions of the normal story.

~rougerum

Yeah... read the book, not the synopsis.

©brad

Quote from: budgie
Quote from: The Gold TrumpetThat storyline is the silliest storyline that is question to be turned into a movie this week for me. And that's still bad. Even if this was done by the great excellence of a director like Kubrick at his best, I still don't think I could get past how ludricrous that story is. Most really good twisted plots, always seem like generally normal stories with a few nuts or bolts missing, or with some added. This seems all nuts and bolts that are suppose to be just extensions of the normal story.

~rougerum

Yeah... read the book, not the synopsis.

no joke. sounds pretty damn intriguing to me. cant base much judgement on that short synopsis. can you imagine reading one for A Clockwork Orange, having not seen it before? what would u think about that?

Gold Trumpet

I would think A Clockwork Orange would seem pretty normal within the context of a twisted story. A Clockwork Orange was a pretty basic story of the controlling aspect of a society in order to gain command of a society out of control, they put felons and criminals through this. It always felt pretty basic in the storyline by way of science fiction. I think the coloring to it, though, is what made it twisted.

And see, I can't buy the argument of 'read the book instead of the synopsis'. Obviously, to read a book takes a lot of time compared to a movie and since I have priorities, I likely won't do it. So on that basis, I can't buy the argument. if someone could tell me why I should give this story more credit than what the synopsis holds, tell me. If not, it smells like shit so I will speak of it in that manner.

~rougerum

MacGuffin

Quote from: The Gold Trumpetif someone could tell me why I should give this story more credit than what the synopsis holds, tell me.

'Cause budgie says so.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Pubrick

Quote from: The Gold Trumpetif someone could tell me why I should give this story more credit than what the synopsis holds, tell me.
cos i will punch u in the throat if u don't.
under the paving stones.

budgie

Quote from: The Gold TrumpetI would think A Clockwork Orange would seem pretty normal within the context of a twisted story. A Clockwork Orange was a pretty basic story of the controlling aspect of a society in order to gain command of a society out of control, they put felons and criminals through this. It always felt pretty basic in the storyline by way of science fiction. I think the coloring to it, though, is what made it twisted.

And see, I can't buy the argument of 'read the book instead of the synopsis'. Obviously, to read a book takes a lot of time compared to a movie and since I have priorities, I likely won't do it. So on that basis, I can't buy the argument. if someone could tell me why I should give this story more credit than what the synopsis holds, tell me. If not, it smells like shit so I will speak of it in that manner.

~rougerum

You have just described A Clockwork Orange in terms of theme, whereas the Chemical Pink synopsis outlined above speaks of plot. To follow your pattern, I could say that Chemical Pink is about the controlling aspect of a society (represented by the male character, Charles) [that operates in certain ways] in order to gain command of a[n other presence in] society (represented by the female character, Aurora) who, because of his own insecurities, Charles wishes to manipulate like a doll. Where Clockwork is about the demonisation of youth by dominant ideology, Chemical Pink is about the demonisation of women by the dominant ideology, merely described through the personal rather than a more (but not exclusively) social narrative. Interestingly, however, the endings demonstrate the different standings of male youth and women in patriarchy.

Now shut up and stop being a snob.

MacGuffin

Quote from: budgieChemical Pink is about the controlling aspect of a society (represented by the male character, Charles) [that operates in certain ways] in order to gain command of a[n other presence in] society (represented by the female character, Aurora) who, because of his own insecurities, Charles wishes to manipulate like a doll.

Now I see why you recommended me for the screenplay.

Skeleton FilmWorks