I hate it when a movie gets re-released on DVD!

Started by Myxo, June 30, 2003, 07:11:21 PM

Myxo

At the risk of starting a thread which runs a 99% chance of being posted already, here goes.

I was reading someplace that Paul Thomas Anderson really wanted to push back the release date for PDL to give him a chance to "do it right" for a DVD release. I guess he originally wanted to put out a stripped down version, but he opted to give the fans what they want the first time. A "Special Edition DVD".

My complaint is that so many of my films end up getting re-released in "new-improved-super-duper" editions.

Let's see here.

I own the old versions of:

Terminator 2
Memento
Amadeus

I know I own a few more older versions, but those come to mind right away. Has anyone else had a similar complaint about this whole ordeal?

Cecil

MacGuffin

Quote from: halo_onHas anyone else had a similar complaint about this whole ordeal?

http://xixax.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=313
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Myxo

Quote from: MacGuffin
Quote from: halo_onHas anyone else had a similar complaint about this whole ordeal?

http://xixax.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=313

From now on you are now known to me as 'The Thread Terrorist'

Also: http://xixax.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=313
Posted: Thu Jan 30, 2003

modage

so the real  question is, if doing it right the first time werent a possibility.  would you rather have them put out a better edition with lots of extras, or nothing at all because you already bought the crappy one?

personally, i'd rather just bite the bullet and sell the old one and get the new one.  

for me, see: Boogie Nights, Memento, Almost Famous, Fear and Loathing In Las Vegas, uhh and soon to be Casablanca.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

MacGuffin

Quote from: halo_onFrom now on you are now known to me as 'The Thread Terrorist'

Also: http://xixax.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=313
Posted: Thu Jan 30, 2003

Actually, to amend your title: 'The halo_on Thread Terrorist'

And I didn't know threads came with a "Logan's Run" type expiration date.

Quote from: themodernage02Memento, Almost Famous

First ed. "Memento" has a IFC interview not included of the second one.

First ed. "Almost Famous" has an HBO making of not included on the Bootleg ed.

The two versions of "Monster's Ball" don't have any overlapping extras.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

modage

Quote from: MacGuffinFirst ed. "Memento" has a IFC interview not included of the second one.

First ed. "Almost Famous" has an HBO making of not included on the Bootleg ed.

The two versions of "Monster's Ball" don't have any overlapping extras.

yeah i knew about those, but wasnt worth it (for me) to keep em.  thats actually really cool monsters ball doesnt have overlapping extras.  although a little annoying to have to KEEP two copies of a movie.  i guess Lord Of The Rings would be another example of this.  but i only have the Extended one, and dont plan on getting the other ones.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

sphinx

even though it sucks, i think the unofficial responsibility of the buyer is to research if the title is going to be rereleased.  i held off on memento because of the special edition i knew was coming up, and i'm doing the same with adaptation.  in some cases, it can't be helped, and that's just unfair.  for example, i held off on buying fear and loathing for the longest time because i heard criterion was releasing it.  then i asked mulvaney.  "no sphinx, we're not releasing it!  i'm a fucking retard!  bye!".  one year later, bam!  sphinx gets his shitty little universal copy of the movie blown out by a $57.99 version of it for $21.99.  in fact, i think the universal release was so hard for me to find that i paid $29.99.  paid more for the original than the rerelease.

life_boy

I'm holding out for Adaptation as well.  Sometimes it can't really be helped, as in your case with Fear & Loathing.

bonanzataz

i bought adaptation and it's already worth my money as i've watched it about 5 times now. had i rented it from blockbuster every time, i'm sure it would have cost the same as if i bought it. plus, i'm sure the spec ed. dvd won't have a dts track and probably a lesser quality video transfer.
The corpses all hang headless and limp bodies with no surprises and the blood drains down like devil's rain we'll bathe tonight I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls Demon I am and face I peel to see your skin turned inside out, 'cause gotta have you on my wall gotta have you on my wall, 'cause I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls collect the heads of little girls and put 'em on my wall hack the heads off little girls and put 'em on my wall I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls

Ravi

I sort of have some rules for buying DVDs:

1.  I don't buy non-anamorphic widescreen discs.  Most of these will eventually be replaced by anamorphic editions.

2.  I don't buy new release films the first day they come out, just in case a new edition is announced a little later.  

This is also a good rule to follow in case a DVD has some problem that is on all copies.  You can buy the corrected version later and not have the hassle of sending your defective copy back.  Back to the Future and Jackie Brown, for example.

SoNowThen

Quote from: sphinxeven though it sucks, i think the unofficial responsibility of the buyer is to research if the title is going to be rereleased.  i held off on memento because of the special edition i knew was coming up, and i'm doing the same with adaptation.  in some cases, it can't be helped, and that's just unfair.  for example, i held off on buying fear and loathing for the longest time because i heard criterion was releasing it.  then i asked mulvaney.  "no sphinx, we're not releasing it!  i'm a fucking retard!  bye!".  one year later, bam!  sphinx gets his shitty little universal copy of the movie blown out by a $57.99 version of it for $21.99.  in fact, i think the universal release was so hard for me to find that i paid $29.99.  paid more for the original than the rerelease.

Yep, 100% agreed. Also, I laughed at your Mulvaney retard comment. I like to imagine him actually stating that he is a retard, in this really garbled retard voice that people use when they're pretending to be someone they hate. And he's waving his arms around for no reason. Funny stuff.
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

Quote from: halo_onAt the risk of starting a thread which runs a 99% chance of being posted already, here goes.

I was reading someplace that Paul Thomas Anderson really wanted to push back the release date for PDL to give him a chance to "do it right" for a DVD release. I guess he originally wanted to put out a stripped down version, but he opted to give the fans what they want the first time. A "Special Edition DVD".

My complaint is that so many of my films end up getting re-released in "new-improved-super-duper" editions.

Let's see here.

I own the old versions of:

Terminator 2
Memento
Amadeus

I know I own a few more older versions, but those come to mind right away. Has anyone else had a similar complaint about this whole ordeal?

Considering Amadeus was one of the first DVDs out (it was my first dvd) it didn't make use of the dual layer technology so halfway in the movie you have to FLIP THE DISC (i.e. goodfellas)..  Also with the re-release you get a full length commentary from Milos Forman, and extended scenes..  all without flipping the disc !!

No im not made of money, but I did buy this re-release.
"We're all one thing, Lieutenant. That's what I've come to realize. Like cells in a body. 'Cept we can't see the body. The way fish can't see the ocean. And so we envy each other. Hurt each other. Hate each other. How silly is that? A heart cell hating a lung cell"

life_boy

Quote from: Ravi
This is also a good rule to follow in case a DVD has some problem that is on all copies.  You can buy the corrected version later and not have the hassle of sending your defective copy back.  Back to the Future and Jackie Brown, for example.

I must've missed something.  What is/was the defective copy thing on Jackie Brown all about?

Ravi

Quote from: life_boy
Quote from: Ravi

I must've missed something.  What is/was the defective copy thing on Jackie Brown all about?

The subtitle trivia track was slightly out of sync with the film.