INLAND EMPIRE

Started by MacGuffin, May 11, 2005, 04:50:02 PM

MacGuffin

Lynch self-distributing 'Inland Empire'
Source: Hollywood Reporter

NEW YORK -- After a flurry of rumors pointing to just about every indie studio in the business, director David Lynch has worked out a deal with French producers Studio Canal to self-distribute his three-hour epic digital video feature "Inland Empire," in the U.S. and Canada. Producer Mary Sweeney said the plan will "explore a new model of distribution."

Lynch will work with well-known theatrical and home video partners to launch his epic fever dream of a film, retaining all rights to the low-budget project in each service deal. The partnerships will be announced within the next week. A release slated before the end of the year, as is an awards season campaign for star and co-producer Laura Dern.

"Basically we learned a lot from our experiences with 'The Straight Story' and 'Mulholland Drive,'" said Sweeney. "There was a lot spent on P&A. Those experiences, the new technologies of digital distribution available today, along with David's completely avant-garde attitude towards life make this the right film at the right time for this approach."

Sweeney notes that both digital and transferred 35mm masters of the film are available, so several options are open to get the film to the public via digital and conventional methods.

"Empire," which had its premiere at the Venice International Film Festival as Lynch picked up a Golden Lion lifetime achievement award, has sharply divided critics both abroad and at its New York Film Festival North American premiere. The three-years-in-the-making feature begins with two interwoven stories of an actress, played by Dern, who is making an onscreen comeback in a Southern melodrama she's filming called "High in Blue Tomorrows." But the film soon branches off to follow a third abused and abusive character also played by Dern. "I figure I have at least three roles, maybe a few more," she said in an interview.

Each plotline deals with issues of betrayal in relationships, but the film soon veers off those tracks as it showcases musical dance sequences, sitcom-style family scenes featuring people with rabbit heads and dramatic episodes with actors speaking Polish.

In an interview after a NYFF press screening last Friday, Lynch said "people are thinking of new ways to begin a film, new ways of shooting, new ways of post production, and you've got to come up with new ways of distribution."

He added facetiously that his target audience is "14-year-old girls in the Midwest ... I would like it to be a summer blockbuster, but I'm realistic."
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

A Matter Of Chance

is it bad that i'm gay for david lynch?

MacGuffin

INLAND EMPIRE at AFI Fest on November 3rd and 6th in Los Angeles!!! Tickets On Sale TOMORROW!!!

Making it's rounds will be INLAND EMPIRE playing Fri, Nov 3rd 9:30 pm at the ArcLight Theatre 10 and Mon, Nov 6th 7:00 pm at the Cinerama Dome. Tickets will be $12.00 for the show on the 3rd and $25 for the show on the 6th. For ticketing information please phone 1.866.AFI FEST or email boxoffice@afi.com. Tickets will go on sale online and by phone this Friday, October 13th.

http://www.afi.com/onscreen/afifest/2006/tickets.aspx
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

MacGuffin

Skeleton FilmWorks

SiliasRuby

Got my ticket for the 6th at the cineramadome.
The Beatles know Jesus Christ has returned to Earth and is in Los Angeles.

When you are getting fucked by the big corporations remember to use a condom.

There was a FISH in the perkalater!!!

My Collection

MacGuffin

INLAND EMPIRE US RELEASE DATE?
Source: Dugpa

According to ComingSoon.net, INLAND EMPIRE will be in limited release in the US starting on December 15th, 2006. Some showtimes for some of the local theaters have been found, so it looks to be a done deal. The film will be distributed by Lynch via 518 Media.

http://www.laemmle.com/viewmovie.php?mid=2648

Skeleton FilmWorks

MacGuffin

Lynch Discusses Babbling Bunnies, Dancing Hookers, Laura Dern
By Robert Hilferty

Oct. 25 (Bloomberg) -- David Lynch, the master of weird, perplexing movies, has directed his loopiest film yet.

``Inland Empire'' stars Laura Dern as an actress visited by a strange Polish gypsy. She soon gets lost in different dream worlds, shuttling between Poland's past and Hollywood's present, taking on several identities and having close encounters with talking bunnies and dancing prostitutes. She also finds one of her incarnations at the center of a murder mystery.

I spoke with the 60-year-old director earlier this month after the movie was screened at the New York Film Festival. (It will be released Dec. 15 in the U.S.) Lynch was dressed entirely in black and sported a graying doo-wopper hairdo.

Hilferty: Where does the title come from?

Lynch: It comes from a conversation I had with Laura Dern, who said her husband grew up in the ``inland empire.'' That's an area east of Los Angeles. As soon as she said it, I said, ``That's the name of this film.''

Later, my brother found a scrapbook covered with dust in my parent's log cabin in Montana. It was my scrapbook from when I was 5 years old, and on the first page there's an aerial view of Spokane, Washington, where I lived as a kid. Underneath it said, ``Inland Empire,'' so I figured I'm on the right track.

Suggestive Title

Hilferty: The title suggests an interior dream universe.

Lynch: ``Inland Empire'' conjures up a thing, but it doesn't really need to be talked about. It's a beautiful two words.

Hilferty: The move pushes the envelope of different states of consciousness, jumping around in time and space. How did you come up with this beguiling narrative structure?

Lynch: At first I didn't know how the idea for one scene related to the idea of the next scene. It wasn't until seven scenes that I saw the link, and the whole thing started to come together. It's not a normal way of starting a feature film.

Hilferty: This is your first time using digital video. How was that?

Lynch: It's lightweight. It has automatic focus and 40- minute takes. The crew is smaller. You move like lightning speed compared to film. I can drift in and out, and feel a thing. It's the most beautiful sense of freedom, getting deeper into a thing. It's a blessing. Digital is a beautiful miracle.

Talking Rabbits

Hilferty: There are several scenes of three people wearing rabbit outfits.

Lynch: Those are real rabbits.

Hilferty: They appear to be performing a play in front of an audience, which laughs at questions they ask like, ``What time is it?''

Lynch: When you stop to think about it, it's quite a funny question.

Hilferty: Why?

Lynch: Well, we won't go into that.

Hilferty: Your film plays with time.

Lynch: The word ``playing'' is a beautiful word, but it implies a frivolous thing, which this isn't. Time is so beautiful. There's always a past and a present, and an implication of a future. So cinema can go anyplace. Stories can hold all kinds of times. Time is your friend.

Hilferty: There's a Polish dimension to your film, and some of the music you use is by Lutoslawski and Penderecki, which lends the feeling of mystery and horror.

Lynch: I attended the Camerimage Film Festival in 2000 and fell in love with the city of Lodz, Poland. It used to be the textile capital of the world. Because of the beautiful location and the mood there, I started thinking, ``I should shoot a scene here,'' which I did. And so that led to many other things.

Hilferty: Hollywood also figures big. The famous hilltop sign is one of the first things we see. Laura Dern plays an actress. Is this movie in some way a parable of Hollywood?

Lynch: Not specifically. Ideas do pop up because of a place, and I've been living in Los Angeles since 1970. I love this town and the fictitious memory of the golden age of cinema.

Hilferty: After shooting with digital, will you go back to celluloid?

Lynch: Never. Our future is a digital future.

Skeleton FilmWorks

Pubrick

he really reveals a lot more than ppl admit. just because he doesn't speak about everything, ppl think he doesn't speak about anything. the things he does say are quite revealing and truthful about what he's talking about. i mean, why must he say everything? it's just rude to expect him to. ok even more than rude, it's downright arrogant. his movies have a great effect because they play on things that words can't capture. so why try to make him talk about it?

it's fun to ask cos his answers are hilarious. i'm not laughing at him but he's gotta realise that it's a funny situation, this man being asked ridiculous things like "why do you think it's funny to ask what time is it" and then his reponse is the punch. you can call it aloof but he just doesn't feel the need to prove his intelligence or insight or whatever it is that ppl are trying to take from him. his silence is what separates him from pretentious ppl who talk too much. and his ability to manipulate symbols that speak intimately to us is what separates him from bullshit artists like matthew barney. we can deduce all this without asking him anything, it's why he loves words.

i've said too much.
under the paving stones.

MacGuffin

INLAND EMPIRE in Boston with Lynch Q&A
Boston will be getting a special screening of INLAND EMPIRE on Sunday, December 3rd with a Lynch Q&A session to follow. Details can be found here.

Skeleton FilmWorks

JG

except its already sold out!

oh well, they still have it playing through december.

still, if anybody going is willing to hook a brother up...

bonanzataz

yeah, lynch must really like the brattle. they did a whole series of his films two years ago and i spent that whole week every day going there to catch them all. i think he helped them in getting prints, but only the dvd of eraserhead was screened at his request, which was a pain. i almost got a job at the brattle, but everytime i go there everybody working looks miserable for some reason. had i taken the job, i'd have gotten to meet the guy again. i'm glad it's screening there rather than at coolidge or kendall square. the brattle is a very unique theater and a good venue for this movie. i hope that this film is only distributed to small, struggling arthouse theaters. no way is inland empire going to be a cult hit like mulholland and it would really bring a lot of income and positive reputation to theaters like this. despite how much i disliked the movie, i'm excited to experience it again with an audience in a more intimate theater in an effort to resolve the issues i have with the film (only for lynch would i sit through a three-hour nonsensical masturbation piece twice).
The corpses all hang headless and limp bodies with no surprises and the blood drains down like devil's rain we'll bathe tonight I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls Demon I am and face I peel to see your skin turned inside out, 'cause gotta have you on my wall gotta have you on my wall, 'cause I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls collect the heads of little girls and put 'em on my wall hack the heads off little girls and put 'em on my wall I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls

A Matter Of Chance

Quote from: JG on November 02, 2006, 01:43:43 PM
except its already sold out!

oh well, they still have it playing through december.

still, if anybody going is willing to hook a brother up...

ALREADY SOLD OUT?!?!?

SiliasRuby

Heavy Spoiler Review! (But Really What Is A Spoiler Review When It Comes To Lynch?)

This has got to be one of the most emotionally draining experiences of my life. I was crying through it a lot since so many images stood out and meant something to me. It really hit me hard. But GT is right when he might be going where Godard went after the 60's, really possible

Laura dern possibly gave the performance of her career so far. She does what most actress's wish they could do so easily.

My fav. moments: the "black tambourine" segment, Man, Beck fits so well with Lynch.
The Scene with the Asian, her African American Boyfriend and their other friend who has a cousin in pamona who's almost certain she can't get from hollywood to pamona is pretty funny, considering where Laura Dern is.
Grace Zebrieski's Scene

Harry Dean Stanton is Fucking Hilarious in this-his look to the actors is just priceless, asking an embarrising question with his quiet sullen features.
Mary Steenburgen achieves so much in 2 minutes and she does it so effortlessly.
I wanted more of William H. Macy.
I didn't want it to end and yet I was so fulfilled when the credits hit.

Afterwards, the Q and A was a bit bleh at best of course, but the highlight of the evening was meeting Lynch and talking to him about the distributing of his film. Saw him behind the cinerama just hanging out behind his body guard. He shook my hand, was pretty impressed on how much I knew on when it's going to get a wide release. My two friends and I tried to hold our composure, but it was pretty tough, it was quite a fucking night. Next on my list to meet, PTA. That's another post though.

Wheh, I'm still reeling from the experience.
The Beatles know Jesus Christ has returned to Earth and is in Los Angeles.

When you are getting fucked by the big corporations remember to use a condom.

There was a FISH in the perkalater!!!

My Collection

Pubrick

i'm worried about your emotional state, silias. no matter how many ppl ridicule you, including myself, remember that in your mind everything you do is perfectly normal. go with yourself. don't let the world get you down, ok? go with yourself.
under the paving stones.

MacGuffin

Lynch visits AFI 'Empire'
Helmer bows latest at fest
Source: Variety

HOLLYWOOD -- If a three-hour non-narrative pic is going to unspool at an AFI Fest Centerpiece Gala spread over two non-consecutive nights, it's fitting that said film be directed by David Lynch.

Eschewing any kind of red-carpet or reception for his "Inland Empire," helmer was on hand Friday for a brief intro and Monday for a post-screening Q&A, along with pic's Laura Dern and Justin Theroux.

Lynch identified his favorite tree (the ponderosa pine, with the Douglas fir in second place) but was typically elusive about the film.

"The thing came about in a strange way. I started on just a scene. I wrote the scene and got people together and we shot the scene. Then I got another idea for another scene and it didn't necessarily relate to the first. This process continued for a while until the whole came together," he explained."As an actor, having worked with David the majority of my adult life, I've learned to follow along for the ride," Dern said. "Regardless of the world he creates, you're free to stay honest and simple as can be."

Skeleton FilmWorks