INLAND EMPIRE

Started by MacGuffin, May 11, 2005, 04:50:02 PM

MacGuffin

Lynch's 'Empire' building backed by StudioCanal
Source: Hollywood Reporter

CANNES -- French sales and distribution company StudioCanal is backing the upcoming project from David Lynch titled "Inland Empire," sources in Cannes confirmed Wednesday.

StudioCanal, a division of Vivendi Universal's French pay TV company Canal Plus, declined to talk about the project, which it has been trying to keep top secret. Even posters for the film on the Croisette and around the Cannes market have been covered until a grand unveiling scheduled for Thursday.

StudioCanal is expected to handle world sales on the title, with its French distribution company Mars Films handling theatrical in France. It is unclear whether any cast is attached to "Inland Empire." Buyers already looking at the project say details remain hazy, in typical Lynch fashion. "It's about a film within a film. There's nothing to see, there's no script," one top international buyer said.

"But when have you ever seen a David Lynch script in advance?" said another, implying that this did not affect the project's attractiveness.

StudioCanal financed Lynch's movies "The Straight Story" and "Mulholland Drive," both of which unspooled In Competition at Cannes, with Lynch picking up the best director prize for the latter.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Ghostboy

modage

SWEET!  the last time he made a movie i was too dumb to appreciate it (even though i saw it in theatres)!  now i'm a convert!   :yabbse-thumbup:  :yabbse-thumbup:
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Brazoliange

hahahahaha yes

my night is made, thanks MG
Long live the New Flesh

SiliasRuby

Great.  :yabbse-grin:  Neon is going to love this news.
The Beatles know Jesus Christ has returned to Earth and is in Los Angeles.

When you are getting fucked by the big corporations remember to use a condom.

There was a FISH in the perkalater!!!

My Collection

Weak2ndAct

:onfire:  :onfire:  :onfire:  :onfire: :onfire:  :onfire:  :onfire:  :onfire:

From Variety:

Lynch invades an 'Empire'
Digital pic details a mystery

By ADAM DAWTREY
David Lynch is making a new movie with StudioCanal. In fact, he's already been shooting it under the radar for two years.

Titled "INLAND EMPIRE" (in capitals, though Lynch doesn't explain why), it stars Laura Dern, along with Justin Theroux, Harry Dean Stanton, Jeremy Irons and a host of others Lynch won't specify.

In fact, there's still very little the enigmatic Lynch is comfortable to reveal about the movie.

"It's about a woman in trouble, and it's a mystery, and that's about all I want to say about it," he comments diffidently.

The title refers to the bleak residential area on the edge of the desert near L.A. -- the antithesis of the tony locale of his last movie "Mulholland Drive."

Lynch has shot much of his latest film in Poland with local actors, after making friends with the organizers of the Camerimage festival in Lodz. He's now back shooting in and around Los Angeles.

Even at this relatively advanced stage of production, Lynch is cagey about when it will be finished. But it's understood that StudioCanal is aiming for a world preempreem at Cannes next year.

"Making a film is a beautiful mystery," Lynch says. "You go deep into the wood, and you don't want to come out of that wood, but the time is coming very soon when I will have to."

Lynch has financed the production to date from his own resources, with his wife and longtime artistic collaborator Mary Sweeney producing. The budget is unknown.

StudioCanal, which financed "Mulholland Drive""Mulholland Drive" and "The Straight Story," has come aboard "INLAND EMPIRE" to handle worldwide sales.

Digital convert

What Lynch will reveal -- and indeed, waxes lyrical about -- is the fact that he's shooting the movie on digital video.

"I started working in DV for my Web site, and I fell in love with the medium. It's unbelievable, the freedom and the incredible different possibilities it affords, in shooting and in post-production."

"For me, there's no way back to film. I'm done with it," Lynch says. "I love abstraction. Film is a beautiful medium, but it's very slow and you don't get a chance to try a lot of different things. With DV, you get those chances. And in post-production, if you can think it, you can do it."

DV has clearly given Lynch the freedom from having to clarify his intentions -- to financiers, or even to himself -- before he starts shooting.

"The explaining of things in words is always a huge problem," he confesses.

He characterizes the DV production process as a journey of "huge exploration" to discover what his film will be.

"I'm writing as I go," he says. "I believe in the unity of things. When you have one part, and then a second part that doesn't relate to that first part, it's very curious to find that they do relate after all. It's a most beautiful thing."

He also believes that it produces a different kind of performances from actors. "When you run out of film, you have to stop and reload, and during that time the heat sometimes goes off. But with this medium you can keep that heat, and it builds, and it's beautiful to see."

He says that Dern, in particular, has benefited from this freedom. "She's the most incredible actress. Some people get roles and do their thing, but some have a lot more inside and don't usually get the chance to show it."

As for the quality of the DV image, Lynch says, "It looks different. Some would say it looks bad. But it reminds me of early 35mm, that didn't have that tight grain. When you have a poor image, there's lots more room to dream."

"But I've done tests transferring DV to film, and there are all kinds of controls to dial in the look you want."

modage

i hope i'm not one of the 'some' who would say it looks bad.  bad dv bugs me.  thats insane he's been shooting this already with recognizable actors and word had never leaked.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Fernando

Quote from: Cinephile
This is me on a normal day-to-day basis: :multi:

This is me after I learned of another Miyazaki Lynch:  :onfire:

soixante

The only drawback is that I thought the new film would be sneaked into Cannes this year.  Now, 2006 is shaping up to be a big year.
Music is your best entertainment value.

No Hay Banda

Quote from: themodernage02i hope i'm not one of the 'some' who would say it looks bad.  bad dv bugs me.  thats insane he's been shooting this already with recognizable actors and word had never leaked.
Well, uh, it may have been "leaked", in a manner of speaking.

I believe I heard about Lynch shooting a film in Poland a while back. At the time, it was called "The Green Room in Lodz", but I really couldn't get any more specific if I tried. It was quite a while ago (a few months), so my memory is kinda foggy.

Anyway, it good to see some more news about a new Lynch movie. Kinda disappointing to hear he's shooting on DV, but then again, Collateral looked pretty damn good. Lynch should be one of the people who can make DV look good, so I've still got high expectations, myself.

cowboykurtis

Quote from: No Hay BandaKinda disappointing to hear he's shooting on DV, but then again, Collateral looked pretty damn good. Lynch should be one of the people who can make DV look good, so I've still got high expectations, myself.

Collateral was shot on HD - a very different medium than mini DV
...your excuses are your own...

bonanzataz

hmmm. lynch on dv. it works quite well for his internet shorts, but i picture lynch films to be lush and beautifully shot, with amazing colors and shadows. you really can't get that "lynch-look" on dv, and it upsets me that he says he never wants to go back to film.

however, on the other hand, lynch can do no wrong. barring dune. that doesn't count.

what the fuck is this post? this isn't me.

HOLY SHIT! LYNCH IS MAKING ANOTHER MOVIE AND LAURA DERN'S GONNA BE IN IT! FUCKING SHIT YES!

that's better.
The corpses all hang headless and limp bodies with no surprises and the blood drains down like devil's rain we'll bathe tonight I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls Demon I am and face I peel to see your skin turned inside out, 'cause gotta have you on my wall gotta have you on my wall, 'cause I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls collect the heads of little girls and put 'em on my wall hack the heads off little girls and put 'em on my wall I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls

cowboykurtis

Quote from: bonanzatazhmmm. lynch on dv. it works quite well for his internet shorts, but i picture lynch films to be lush and beautifully shot, with amazing colors and shadows. you really can't get that "lynch-look" on dv, and it upsets me that he says he never wants to go back to film.
...your excuses are your own...

NEON MERCURY

oh my, when i first read this mac's post i was starting to tear up  some.  and i got chills up and down me.  i cant say enough about this.  i was about to start a new thread in this forum "proof that he has to much time on his hands"...like the quentin one b/c of his weather reports.  but come to find out hes been working on this for two fucking years........a.w.e.s.o.m.e.

love the cast [irons & theroux] :yabbse-thumbup:  :yabbse-thumbup:

and you gotta laugh some at his premise "its about a woman and its a mystery"

same could be said for:

twin peaks
certian segments of hotel room
fire walk with me
lost highway
blue velvet
mulholland dr.

as for the dv thing.. its fine by me it it gives lynch more freedom to work with.  i can only imagine what he will do....... :bravo:

i expect you guys to work extra hard in this thread and bring us fast, accurate news concerning this film... :yabbse-wink:

NEON MERCURY

yo! i read/heard somewhere that on the cover of one of the issues of variety [cannes issue?] that there is the first "image" of inland empire... can someone [mac  :yabbse-wink: ] find out if this is true?