To Newbs, introduce yourself.

Started by Xixax, January 08, 2003, 01:13:48 PM

Stefen

sundown all over along with your avatar made you seem like a sweet kind soul. Just rolling with the wind, ya know? Vulnerable, but not corny. A man of the world. A person who has traveled. Someone you would trust to take care of their kitten, but not someone you would trust alone with their fiance, which is okay. A good person, who was intellectual and well-versed in all things placebo inducing. Someone who strangers never feel awkward passing by on a street because they can sense that you will smile at them just as they smile at you, avoiding that effed up moment where you look at someone and they look away, then they look at you, just as you look away.

This new persona just makes you look like a giant dork. Nice T1 calculator. Only thing worse than two first names is three last names.
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

polkablues

It's the sort of name that says "welcome to my rape dungeon."
My house, my rules, my coffee

Gold Trumpet

Regardless, welcome. I've definitely enjoyed all of your posting so far.

Mr. Merrill Lehrl

Quote from: Stefen on May 10, 2011, 06:23:04 PM
sundown all over along with your avatar made you seem like a sweet kind soul. Just rolling with the wind, ya know? Vulnerable, but not corny. A man of the world. A person who has traveled. Someone you would trust to take care of their kitten, but not someone you would trust alone with their fiance, which is okay. A good person, who was intellectual and well-versed in all things placebo inducing. Someone who strangers never feel awkward passing by on a street because they can sense that you will smile at them just as they smile at you, avoiding that effed up moment where you look at someone and they look away, then they look at you, just as you look away.

I imagine you reading this from some notes scribbled on bar napkins; you're standing in front of friends and loved ones delivering sundown's eulogy.  It's quite touching and romantic.

Quote from: polkablues on May 10, 2011, 06:24:46 PM

I imagine you saying this to me and spitting in my face before tying me to the back of your car and driving me tied to your car through a field of thorn bushes, under a sky full of crying stars.

Quote from: The Gold Trumpet on May 10, 2011, 06:27:38 PM
Regardless, welcome. I've definitely enjoyed all of your posting so far.

Are you guys always this nice?  I'm getting sort of pumped up.
"If I had to hold up the most heavily fortified bank in America," Bolaño says, "I'd take a gang of poets. The attempt would probably end in disaster, but it would be beautiful."

JG

Quote from: Merrill Errol Lehrl on May 10, 2011, 06:21:04 PM
It's a rather awkward name in any sense.  I admit that's what I like about it.

And yes it is a reference, to a high-level IRS employee and occultist in David Foster Wallace's The Pale King, a book I think you would like and I don't mean a general you but you Jeremy Blackman would potentially like The Pale King.

Don't you think its an odd book to recommend to someone who may have not read IJ, or other work by dfw?

I'm ready to talk about it now.

Mr. Merrill Lehrl

Quote from: JG on May 10, 2011, 07:00:37 PM
Quote from: Merrill Errol Lehrl on May 10, 2011, 06:21:04 PM
It's a rather awkward name in any sense.  I admit that's what I like about it.

And yes it is a reference, to a high-level IRS employee and occultist in David Foster Wallace's The Pale King, a book I think you would like and I don't mean a general you but you Jeremy Blackman would potentially like The Pale King.

Don't you think its an odd book to recommend to someone who may have not read IJ, or other work by dfw?

I'm ready to talk about it now.

I don't know Jeremy Blackman very well, so could be wrong, but from the posts of his I've read he strikes me as some kind of existential rationalist, or like a suffering objectivist.  Someone with head and heart.  He talks for long periods about boring government topics but also seems deeply interested in the spiritual or unknown aspects of a topic.  For these reasons I thought The Pale King would be an accetable starting point, plus it's newly released so there'd be potential for fresh conversation.

Let's talk about Pale King in the book thread!
"If I had to hold up the most heavily fortified bank in America," Bolaño says, "I'd take a gang of poets. The attempt would probably end in disaster, but it would be beautiful."

Pas

The new name is awful really, but if it'a good reference it's okay!
There's no xcuse for th av though!

Stefen

I say we still call him sundown all over and pretend he has the old av. What's he going to do? Tell on us? Booby trap the site?

He can calculate all the trajectories he wants, he's still sundown all over to me.
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

Pubrick

Quote from: Merrill Errol Lehrl on May 10, 2011, 07:05:21 PM
I don't know Jeremy Blackman very well, so could be wrong, but from the posts of his I've read he strikes me as some kind of existential rationalist, or like a suffering objectivist.  Someone with head and heart.  He talks for long periods about boring government topics but also seems deeply interested in the spiritual or unknown aspects of a topic.  For these reasons I thought The Pale King would be an accetable starting point, plus it's newly released so there'd be potential for fresh conversation.

haha you got his number, now do me!

and then recommend me a book.

also stefen, yes we will call him sundown all over, just like we kept calling Neon Mercury by his original name even after he changed it to pyramid machine or whatever the hell,.
under the paving stones.

Jeremy Blackman

Dang... that's pretty much me in a nutshell.

socketlevel

Quote from: polkablues on May 10, 2011, 06:24:46 PM

funny you say that, it conjured the ministry album "the land of rape and honey" or some Todd solondz flick. so sweet, and so disturbed.
the one last hit that spent you...

Mr. Merrill Lehrl

Quote from: Pas on May 10, 2011, 09:57:25 PM
There's no xcuse for th av though!

Yeah, something about a calculator makes me think of math.  I guess the buttons.  So I switched to a movie poster that makes me think of kissing.

Quote from: Pubrick on May 10, 2011, 10:41:21 PM
haha you got his number, now do me!

and then recommend me a book.

I'd really like to, but if I keep going there's a high likelihood I'll fuck it up.

socketlevel

Oh don't be afraid, his bark is worse than his bite.

Don't pussy out on us now.
the one last hit that spent you...

polkablues

I like the new avatar.  It makes me want to dance.  It says "Welcome to my wine cellar that I recently converted from a rape dungeon."
My house, my rules, my coffee

Mr. Merrill Lehrl

Quote from: socketlevel on May 11, 2011, 02:03:58 PM
Oh don't be afraid, his bark is worse than his bite.

Don't pussy out on us now.

I'll take your deliberate provocation under consideration.  Do you want to see my wine cellar?