To Newbs, introduce yourself.

Started by Xixax, January 08, 2003, 01:13:48 PM

Pas

Quote from: BetaMax on March 26, 2010, 01:17:51 AM
during CMBB pre-production.

Haha we should ask newbies to "Define CMBB" and see what they come up with.

I actually had to ask Stefen a couple months ago

Ranger Dan

Hello, everyone! I'm Ranger Dan and I'm really a BLM Park Ranger (Rec. Tech.). When I started at this park old management was showing copyright movies on our giant outdoor amphitheater, now I have it and we are making our own films. The first one was based on my interpretive slideshow called "Secret Places Around FishBend" Now it's a full blown documentary called "What's Around the Bend in HD". I'm also starting a feature length horror/comedy film about Bigfoot called "The Smell of Fear" I have posted trailers to both films on YouTube under GeocaverDan-FishBend Productions. I'm here to learn and apply lessons learned in the indie business, so I'm all ears! 
I Don't Watch Life, I Live It!

Sleepless

Just spend 5 minutes trying to figure out where I knew "Ranger Dan" from and I think I was thinking of Lieutenant Dan... Anyways, Welcome Along! Yabba Dabba Doo!
He held on. The dolphin and all the rest of its pod turned and swam out to sea, and still he held on. This is it, he thought. Then he remembered that they were air-breathers too. It was going to be all right.

Captain of Industry

Quote from: Ranger Dan on April 28, 2010, 08:19:14 PM
Hello, everyone! I'm Ranger Dan and I'm really a BLM Park Ranger (Rec. Tech.). When I started at this park old management was showing copyright movies on our giant outdoor amphitheater, now I have it and we are making our own films. The first one was based on my interpretive slideshow called "Secret Places Around FishBend" Now it's a full blown documentary called "What's Around the Bend in HD". I'm also starting a feature length horror/comedy film about Bigfoot called "The Smell of Fear" I have posted trailers to both films on YouTube under GeocaverDan-FishBend Productions. I'm here to learn and apply lessons learned in the indie business, so I'm all ears! 

A true story is that my rather insular personality initially construed a recluse's paradigmatic way through life that involved becoming a park ranger (I had romanticized it all out of proportion of course - I consider your profession a noble and important one, one which I greatly revere, but I had embarked upon it for selfish reasons and later found it requires a good deal of social management), imagining myself alone in the woods tending to the forest and becoming lost in my self-identity.  I blindly entered the university in the horticultural department.  As an aside, my prior conviction had been that of Egyptology, for similar reasons.

But those idealistic dreams fell by the wayside as fantasy collided with reality.  So I like you already for emblematising my dream lifestyle.

Ranger Dan

Quote from: Captain of Industry on April 28, 2010, 09:02:14 PM
imagining myself alone in the woods tending to the forest and becoming lost in my self-identity....... But those idealistic dreams fell by the wayside as fantasy collided with reality.  So I like you already for emblematising my dream lifestyle.

Reality for sure, as if I spend time alone with nature on my job. Think of me as the cross between the customer service rep of the forest, cheerleader and law enforcement all wrapped up in one. The only thing that keeps me at one with the forest are my films of them.

Neil

A true story is that my rather insular personality initially construed a recluse's paradigmatic way through life that involved becoming a park ranger (I had romanticized it all out of proportion of course - I consider your profession a noble and important one, one which I greatly revere, but I had embarked upon it for selfish reasons and later found it requires a good deal of social management), imagining myself alone in the woods tending to the forest and becoming lost in my self-identity.  I blindly entered the university in the horticultural department.  As an aside, my prior conviction had been that of Egyptology, for similar reasons.

But those idealistic dreams fell by the wayside as fantasy collided with reality.  So I like you already for emblematising my dream lifestyle.

I just hope you found your self-identity. 
it's not the wrench, it's the plumber.

Captain of Industry

Quote from: Ranger Dan on April 28, 2010, 09:10:38 PM
imagining myself alone in the woods tending to the forest and becoming lost in my self-identity....... But those idealistic dreams fell by the wayside as fantasy collided with reality.  So I like you already for emblematising my dream lifestyle.

Reality for sure, as if I spend time alone with nature on my job. Think of me as the cross between the customer service rep of the forest, cheerleader and law enforcement all wrapped up in one. The only thing that keeps me at one with the forest are my films of them.

I'll check your films out!  What's the link?

Quote from: Neil on April 28, 2010, 09:19:02 PM

I just hope you found your self-identity.  

I mean, obviously I'm always entombed by my self-identity, I just don't have a lifestyle which provides me unlimited potential to revel in its nuances.

Neil

Welcome Ranger Dan!!!

Captain, I was just concerned, that's all.
it's not the wrench, it's the plumber.

Ranger Dan

Heres my link, I hope, to my YouTube Channel http://www.youtube.com/user/GeocaverDan I also have an earlier slideshow version of What's Around the Bend broken up into several chapters, it was my first try at editing sinse the days of film cutters and reel to reels.

tpfkabi

I'm also starting a feature length horror/comedy film about Bigfoot called "The Smell of Fear"

Have you seen MST3K riff on Boggy Creek 2?
I am Torgo. I take care of the place while the Master is away.

Ranger Dan

Quote from: bigideas on April 29, 2010, 09:59:08 AM
I'm also starting a feature length horror/comedy film about Bigfoot called "The Smell of Fear"

Have you seen MST3K riff on Boggy Creek 2?

Yea as a matter of fact I have seen MST3K-Boggy Creek the film is the ultimate example of how NOT to make a day scene look like night, I love those nighttime shadows and the fact that the only way we know it's night is by the sound of crickets. By the way anyone with a solution on how to make a realistic day into night shot, my window of natural light/darkness is to short for effective filming, but then I would have to be on another thread :ponder:.

Robyn

I started writing a reply in this thread but then I realized how sad and boring I was.

quigliest

Hello all. Found the site a while back through cig and red vines so i thought it was about time I came out from the shadows and contributed a bit.

Here's a link to my grad film trailer if anyone wants to check it out.
http://vimeo.com/13704260

polkablues

Welcome aboard!  3 good posts right out of the gate... I think you'll do just fine around here.  Your trailer looks great, by the way.  Well shot, great acting; I would love to see the full thing.  You're from Ireland, I'm to assume?
My house, my rules, my coffee

quigliest

Thanks. Yeah from Ireland, full short isn't online yet, but as soon as it is i'll post it up here.

Hasn't gotten into many festivals in US so I'm not sure what kind of resonance it has with state-side audiences, certainly haven't gotten much feedback regarding this so it would certainly be to my advantage posting it here.

It is showing in an Irish festival called Solas Nua in Washington in December though.