Scariest Movie?

Started by aurora, March 10, 2003, 03:27:40 AM

©brad

repulsion was great. whats carnival of souls about? i guess i could head over to imdb.com and find out but hungover and lazy, i mean i have to open a new window then type in imdb.com and then do a search on carnical of souls and then click on the one of several matches that comes up and blah blah blah, im exhausted just thinking about it.

im not drunk right now.

MacGuffin

Quote from: budgieBlood and gore is never scary, only the psychological affects me. I am too scared to watch Nosferatu and The Haunting (original version) again since seeing them ages ago, though now may be the time because I also felt freaked by 2001 and The Shining when I was 20 and those have lost their power to thrill me now.

Warner Home Video will release a bundle of horror greats on August 5th: the original masterpiece The Haunting, Vincent Price in House of Wax (not in 3-D  :yabbse-angry: ), the killer rat-fest Of Unknown Origin, Charlton Heston in the oft-delayed The Omega Man, a new 50th anniversary edition of the Howard Hawks classic The Thing, and Audrey Hepburn in Wait Until Dark.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

bonanzataz

The corpses all hang headless and limp bodies with no surprises and the blood drains down like devil's rain we'll bathe tonight I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls Demon I am and face I peel to see your skin turned inside out, 'cause gotta have you on my wall gotta have you on my wall, 'cause I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls collect the heads of little girls and put 'em on my wall hack the heads off little girls and put 'em on my wall I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls

rustinglass

Tesis was the scariest film I ever saw
"In Serbia a lot of people hate me because they want to westernise, not understanding that the western world is bipolar, with very good things and very bad things. Since they don't have experience of the west, they even believe that western shit is pie."
-Emir Kusturica

budgie

Quote from: MacGuffin

Warner Home Video will release a bundle of horror greats on August 5th: the original masterpiece The Haunting, Vincent Price in House of Wax (not in 3-D  :yabbse-angry: ), the killer rat-fest Of Unknown Origin, Charlton Heston in the oft-delayed The Omega Man, a new 50th anniversary edition of the Howard Hawks classic The Thing, and Audrey Hepburn in Wait Until Dark.

Ooh, thanks. Maybe it's time to see it again. I videoed it off the tv about two years ago but never watched it cause too frightened  :oops: , but DVD would be nice.

The thing is, now I think I'm too frightened that it just won't scare me at all. I'm actually worried because I'm getting so deadened to horror. I saw The Omen the other week, another film that terrified me once upon a time, and nothing. I just yawned and got more interested in how slow and detached 70s movies are. I mean, it's ok as a movie, but I felt nothing. The other one that I've never returned to is Rosemary's Baby, but I think that might be the same story. It's depressing.  :(  Maybe I'll try Repulsion, and that thing of P's.

Ghostboy: I expected Don't Look Now to be creepy, and it is sorta, but very distancing. Though if you like that kind of effect then it'll probably get you. Anyway, the sex scene is worth it.

Kwaidan is one of the best things I've ever seen. The Japanese aesthetic is made for psychological thrills. There's another movie I saw around the same time that has these two cat women living in the middle of a bamboo forest, luring men to their doom. God, that was so beautiful, the atmosphere and the shots of the bamboo. I just can't remember the title or director and it kills me. If anyone knows it and can tell me I would love you forever.

phil marlowe

also; carrie, fire walk with me, scream and the texas chainsaw massacre and the original danish version of nightwatch is brilliant.

Sigur Rós

Lost Highway, Salems Lot (don't know why..), Nattevagten

cowboykurtis

Quote from: children with angelsDon't Look Now. Fucking freaky in a really interesting way.

i agree. really got under my skin. the atmosphere and tone -- such a foreboding quality.
...your excuses are your own...

fulty

"Jaws" & "Alien"

It seems silly now, but I saw them when they first came out and even though I knew they were just a scary movie I could not bring myself to go in the water for an entire summer.  And 2 weeks after Alien I was still uneasy about going through doorways.  

Last year the Egyptian Theatre showed Alien again, with Ridley Scott..!!  It was great fun, and now it could possibly make a list of favorite comedies.
Tinapop  

I used to be smart.... now I'm just stupid.

budgie

***Spoilers***Just saw Texas Chainsaw Massacre for the first time. Last I'd heard it was ridiculous and laughable, but I totally loved it. Not scary but completely intelligent and economical, and the men very, very funny. Cinematography seemed really influenced by Japanese stuff, esp. Kurosawa (all the shots through trees)? and the sound was amazing. I loved that line towards the end that went 'Aaaah! aahhhhhh!ahhhhhh!aaaah!aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhh! aaaaaaaaahhh!ah!aaaaaaaaaah!ahhhhhaaaaahhhhhhahahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!ahhhhhhhhhhhhhha!aaaaaaaaahhhhhhh! aaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhh!aaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhh!aaaaghhh! agggggghhh!aaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhh!and so on and on'. Brilliant.
Great ending too: 'AAaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhaaaaaaaahaahhhhah Haahahhhhahhhhhaaaaaahhhhahhaahahh hahhhhhaaaahhahaha...' and Leatherface left flailing and waving his big phallus around in ineffectual rage!

Any other Tobe Hoopers?

Ghostboy

I haven't seen Texas Chainsaw Massacre in YEARS, but a friend of mine watched it recently and noted that it's sort of a horror movie encapsulation of 'The Grapes Of Wrath.' I'm going to have to rent it again to find out, but somehow that makes sense.

chainsmoking insomniac

I'd have to say Poltergeist and Alien....fucking warped movies, really great!
"Ernest Hemingway once wrote: 'The world's a fine place, and worth fighting for.'  I agree with the second part."
    --Morgan Freeman, Se7en

"Have you ever fucking seen that...? Ever seen a mistake in nature?  Have you ever seen an animal make a mistake?"
 --Paul Schneider, All the Real Girls

Ghostboy

The original 'Alien' is getting re-released to theaters this Halloween. Exciting!

lamas

Definitely Anaconda.  I'm deathly afraid of snakes.

budgie

Quote from: lamasDefinitely Anaconda.  I'm deathly afraid of snakes.