OMG NOT ANOTHER LIST! (Slant Magazine's 100 Essential Films)

Started by ono, September 27, 2004, 09:13:31 PM

Quote from: onoWas I talking to you, P?  No.  Stay out of it.
regardless of to whom it was directed, you are talking to everyone if you're on an online messageboard.

ono

Pubrick

Quote from: ono.Was I talking to you, P?  No.  Stay out of it.
the condescending comment u made was towards everyone. so yeah, u were talking to me.

Quote from: ono.No one's addressed this "problem" (if you could call it that) seriously until now.
http://xixax.com/viewtopic.php?p=117236#117236

http://xixax.com/viewtopic.php?p=119226#119226

Quote from: ono.Just a matter of difference of opinion which you seem to take oh so very personally.  Your whole attitude is tiresome.  Accept the fact that some people do have different opinions than yours, and you aren't right all the time.
right back atcha buddy. u were the one who originally freaked out cos i dissed ur precious list. u came at me with sum stupid sarcastic comment cos i called the list less than essential. so who's taking things personally here, i couldn't give two shits if u like the 'horror genre' or not. the problem with the whole argument is ur definition of horror differs from other ppl's, and that's based on what movies u've seen and ur own prejudices, so whatever. there's no way anyone can change that.

in the other threads the argument was over and now u've turned this thread into the same old crap. i don't know how themodernage has the patience to deal with u, i'm sorry if it wasn't dealt with to ur supreme satisfaction until now. ur incessant demands that ppl defend THEIR OWN opinions against urs, which is what this thread is about, is proof that u are much more in love with urself than anyone else here.

i just hope that this is the last time u hav a cry about it. it's truly tiresome, as many members (new and old) hav testified already in this thread.
under the paving stones.

pete

Quote from: Pubricku are much more in love with urself than anyone else here.

check ur avatar.
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

Pubrick

under the paving stones.

UncleJoey

What happened to SHAFTR's post? What, is this message board run by the ghost of Stalin or something?
Well, I've got news for you pal, you ain't leadin' but two things: Jack and shit . . . and Jack just left town.

cine

Quote from: UncleJoeyWhat happened to SHAFTR's post? What, is this message board run by the ghost of Stalin or something?
I deleted it. Totally unnecessary since the argument was already over. And if SHAFTR has a problem with that then SHAFTR can PM me about it.

Stefen

Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

UncleJoey

Quote from: StefenSo no arguing then?

Only if we have Big Brother's permission.
Well, I've got news for you pal, you ain't leadin' but two things: Jack and shit . . . and Jack just left town.

MacGuffin

Quote from: NEON MERCURYi could maybe see your point if you were bashing aliens because [even though its a fun film] its basically gratuitious action and over the top.

Wait a minute. If we're talking humanity and character development, then "Aliens" goes even further than "Alien." Each soldier was his/her own character moreso than those on the Nostromo. And Ripley was developed more; she was given maternal instincts. Sigorney Weaver was Oscar nominated for "Aliens;" unheard of for an action/horror role. She couldn't have done that without a better character to play.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

NEON MERCURY

Quote from: MacGuffin
Quote from: NEON MERCURYi could maybe see your point if you were bashing aliens because [even though its a fun film] its basically gratuitious action and over the top.

Wait a minute. If we're talking humanity and character development, then "Aliens" goes even further than "Alien." Each soldier was his/her own character moreso than those on the Nostromo. And Ripley was developed more; she was given maternal instincts. Sigorney Weaver was Oscar nominated for "Aliens;" unheard of for an action/horror role. She couldn't have done that without a better character to play.

...sorry, i havent been around my computer lately so i couldnt respond to this mac.  but now i got some time.  first off, i honeslty liked aliensmore than alien but i think the latter is a better film IMO.  but i think that camerons film is more action oriented and my reasonings for this begin with the tagline itself 'this time its war". then the whole scenerio of the humans vs. alien  with a rag-tag bunch of generic characters including  the cheesy characters like the mexican/hispanic/latino lesbien-like vasquez and bill paxtons character all feel fake.  this film reminds me of predator 2.  both are [when scaled down] overzealous  action films.  i know i sound like an idiot and i cant really explain it better than the  way i just did it.  i just think that the way ridley scott[who is light years ahead of cameron in terms of a skilled director]  handeled alienwith less is more aproach[compared to aliens] benefited the film.

what i learned from reading  this thread:     lists make some people unhappy.
context, context, context.

cine

Cinephile's 10 Essential Films List:

1. Paper Moon
2. 2001: A Space Odyssey
3. Weekend At Bernies II
4. Touch of Evil
5. Tromeo and Juliet
6. 3-Iron
7. Zapruder Film
8. Weekend at Bernies
9. The Godfather Part 3
10. Breathless

discuss.

pete

"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ

Quote from: CinephileCinephile's 10 Essential Films List:

1. Paper Moon
2. 2001: A Space Odyssey
3. Weekend At Bernies II
4. Touch of Evil
5. Tromeo and Juliet
6. 3-Iron
7. Zapruder Film
8. Weekend at Bernies
9. The Godfather Part 3
10. Breathless

discuss.

Horror films are bullshit.
"As a matter of fact I only work with the feeling of something magical, something seemingly significant. And to keep it magical I don't want to know the story involved, I just want the hypnotic effect of it somehow seeming significant without knowing why." - Len Lye