Best/Worst Remakes

Started by MacGuffin, March 31, 2004, 10:23:06 AM

Chest Rockwell

Quote from: El Duderino
Quote from: llewkcoR tsehCLadykillers wasn't that bad...

well....i'm just stating my opinion
You really think Ladykillers is the worst adaptation, ever?

El Duderino

Quote from: llewkcoR tsehC
Quote from: El Duderino
Quote from: llewkcoR tsehCLadykillers wasn't that bad...

well....i'm just stating my opinion
You really think Ladykillers is the worst adaptation, ever?

well, no, not nearly, but it's the only thing that came to mind at the time.

now, i'd probably say "Cape Fear"
Did I just get cock-blocked by Bob Saget?

Chest Rockwell

The worst I can think of off the top of my head is Stephen King's Shining, if it even counts.

modage

wow, thats a great article mac.  and i was just thinking about starting a best/worst remakes thread to try to get to the bottom of the whole thing that really really irritates the shit out of me.  reading those first few paragraphs about all the remakes we have coming in the next few months even made me want to puke!  their rules are pretty good and true as far as dont touch the classics and only remake something that missed the mark the first time but was a good idea.  i dont know whats worse, terrible sequels or pointless remakes?

chest, the mummy (1999) has very little in common with the original.  at a stretch it could be considered a 'reimagining' but its mostly not, just the same title.

i think the ladykillers is mostly lame, but the original wasnt that good either.  so there may have been room to improve, they just didnt.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Stefen

Some of the worst imo
Get carter (stallone)
The vanishing (the american remake)
Planet of the apes

Some of the best imo
The thing
the fly
freaky friday
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

pete

gone in 60 seconds, terrible.
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

Chest Rockwell

Invasion of the Body Snatchers.

Attack of the 50 foot Woman

Thomas Crown Affair

MacGuffin

Stallone's 'Get Carter' Voted Worst Remake

Sylvester Stallone's 2000 reworking of the Sir Michael Caine crime thriller Get Carter has been voted the worst film remake of all time in a new poll. In a survey of 2,000 film fans by DVD rental company Screenselect.co.uk, a majority voted the Rocky star's version was abysmal compared to the 1971 classic. Unfortunately for Jude Law, the recently-released Alfie film - another Caine remake - was also slammed and came in at number six in the poll. "Our research findings suggest that remakes don't always cut the mustard," said Alex Chesterman, co-founder of ScreenSelect.co.uk. "In the case of Alfie, our poll shows that you just can't beat Caine."

The Anne Heche-starring 1998 version of the Psycho horror film followed Get Carter at two and this year's flop Thunderbirds entered at three. The top ten also included Point of No Return at four, Charlie's Angels at five, Planet Of The Apes at seven, Starsky And Hutch at eight and Cape Fear at nine. Surprisingly 2001 blockbuster Ocean's Eleven came in at ten, despite most film reviews lauding the George Clooney film as better than the 1960 original.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

socketlevel

Good: 12 monkeys, the thing, cape fear

Bad: The vanishing, star wars (does that count?)

-sl-
the one last hit that spent you...

oakmanc234

The ones I consider...

Greats (ones that are bloody good if not better than the original):
'The Ring' (scary as shit), 'Ocean's Eleven' (cool as hell, killer ending), 'Cape Fear', 'Dawn of the Dead' (suprisingly great).

Harmless (enjoyable remakes, nothing more):
'Walking Tall' (fave action flick of the year actually), 'The Ladykillers' (loved it), 'Texas Chainsaw' (not a touch on the original but seriously disturbing at times).

Rubbish (you'll get a cringe whenever mentioning):
'Swept Away' (Ritchie must've been possessed whilst making this), 'Mr. Deeds' (too vulgar to be a Capra-faithful, too sissy to be a Sandler classic) and most of all, bitch-ass motherfuckin 'Thunderbirds'. And as for 'Get Carter' being voted worst remake ever, I gotta admit I liked it, a slick action film (though I'm sure if I'd seen the original I'd be cussing Stallone's version out).
'Welcome the Thunderdome, bitch'

Alethia

Quote from: oakmanc234
'Swept Away' (Ritchie must've been possessed whilst making this)

or it could just be that ritchie sucks

reelistics07

I didnt like the ladykillers, the coens could be doing much better. i dont think theyve done anything good since lebowski -MY OPINION

psycho, i agree with that dude who can find it watchable, its best to forget that hitchcock made a better one and experience it all in color, like van sant probably intended.

I liked the remake of E.T because guns scare me and cops need to be nicer to children.  

the remake of 'one shot' should be pretty good, i trust connor stratton to give us the works

i cant wait till they remake pi, the first one is so , depressing, like. they should let the guy who made the missing do it, he has a nice touch.

Weak2ndAct

Quote from: reelistics07I liked the remake of E.T because guns scare me and cops need to be nicer to children.  

i cant wait till they remake pi, the first one is so , depressing, like. they should let the guy who made the missing do it, he has a nice touch.
This makes no fucking sense to me.  What are you on?  Is this an attempt to be funny?

ono

No, this is what you call a troll.

Alethia

well it's not like pi is a rewarding experience anyways...