Beck: Sea Change

Started by Teddy, May 15, 2003, 06:43:39 AM

Teddy

How is this album?  I thought about buying it, but a wasn't sure.  What does it sound like?
"I saved Latin.  What did you ever do?"

Dirk

Excellent album. My favourite of 2002  :yabbse-thumbup: It's a very mellow album. Can probably be most likely compared to Mutations.
At wave level, everything exists as a contradiction. Everything is existing in more than one stage/place at any given moment. Everything must move/vibrate and constantly change to exist. Everything, including buildings, mountains, oceans and thoughts.

cowboykurtis

...your excuses are your own...

Sleuth

It's like Beck only has one hour to live and then he sat down by the beach and started writing songs.
I like to hug dogs

Mesh

I'd like to rip on this album with near-religious fervor, just to get the discussion on Sea Change going....

...but I can't.

Fucking Brilliant Beck Album.  His fourth Fucking Brilliant Album, by my count.

meatwad

sounds like Leonard Cohen, but even better

//www.thestate22.com

godardian

Quote from: Meatwadsounds like Leonard Cohen, but even better

//www.thestate22.com

I've always really hated Beck before this, but that makes me want to check it out.
""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

Stay informed on protecting your freedom of speech and civil rights.

Mesh

MacGuffin

Quote from: mogwai
Quote from: tremoloslothIt's like Beck only has one hour to live and then he sat down by the beach and started writing songs.
I disagree, it's an album about finding hope, me thinks.

Well, he wrote it after and as a way to cope with the break up with his girlfriend so I think you are both right.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

modage

Sea Change will be getting a 5.1 Surround Sound DVD release just in time for the holidays on December 16th, 2003. Here are the details:

Regular DVD players:
- 5.1 Surround Sound (48kHz/24-bit Dolby Compressed) of Sea Change Album
- 6 Music Videos in 5.1

DVD-Audio Players:
- 5.1 Surround Sound (88.2kHz/24-bit MLP 'Loss-less' Encoding) of Sea Change Album with Sea Change Art Gallery while music plays
- 6 Music Videos in 5.1

The 6 music videos, 5 of which have NEVER been seen are in 5.1 Surround Sound (A first for any Universal DVD-A). Here are the videos and their directors:

Lost Cause - Garth Jennings ("Falling Beck" version)
Guess I'm Doing Fine – Spike Jonze
Little One – Michael Palmieri
Round the Bend – Jeremy Blake
Lonesome Tears – Jason Lee
The Golden Age – Steven Hanft
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Ghostboy

Quote from: themodernage02
- 5.1 Surround Sound (88.2kHz/24-bit MLP 'Loss-less' Encoding) of Sea Change Album with Sea Change Art Gallery while music plays

I'd get a DVD-Audio player just for this.

Gold Trumpet

I, too, had always had problems with Beck before this album. It seemed like his music was appreciating the rip off and his explosion of doing it, but Sea Change is one of my absolute favorite albums. Its been on my cd rotation for almost a year straight and still is the most played album for me on the average. The album feels so simplistic on first listen, but has a depth of music backing it like I've never heard before in rock music and the album really does force you to appreciate every single instrument being played.

myadopteddaughter

I might possibly like this album more than Midnite Vultures, possibly.
To say the least, it is extremely excellent and much more mellow than his previous works.
mmm, mmmm good

Sigur Rós

This album is so good that I wanna have intercourse with it!

Pedro

Quote from: Sigur RósThis album is so good that I wanna have intercourse with it!
i already tried.  one word of advice:  lubrication