Grandaddy

Started by BrainSushi, October 04, 2003, 10:25:04 PM

BrainSushi

Anybody like Grandaddy?

I just bought Sumday... very good...

Question: How would you categorize Grandaddy? I was with a friend when I bought it, and he'd never heard of them. He asked me what kind of music they play, and I had a hard time describing what they're like.

Sleuth

Describe them how you want but don't categorize them
I like to hug dogs

Dirk

Radiohead + Pavement = Radiohead  :?:  :?:

Dunno.
At wave level, everything exists as a contradiction. Everything is existing in more than one stage/place at any given moment. Everything must move/vibrate and constantly change to exist. Everything, including buildings, mountains, oceans and thoughts.

squints

Has anyone heard this new EP? Excerpts from the Diary of Todd Zilla?

"The myth by no means finds its adequate objectification in the spoken word. The structure of the scenes and the visible imagery reveal a deeper wisdom than the poet himself is able to put into words and concepts" – Friedrich Nietzsche

mogwai

Exclusive - Grandaddy split up

But there will be one more album

US indie rockers Grandaddy have split up, NME.COM can exclusively reveal.

Frontman Jason Lytle has confirmed the news today (January 27) -but also said there will be a farewell album from the group. 'Just Like The Fambly Cat', the outfit's fourth full-length album, will be released by V2 later this year. There will be no tour or farewell shows.

He told NME.COM: "It was inevitable. There's a path that we're on...we rode it out for as long as we could. On one hand our stubbornness has paid off, but on the other hand refusing to buy into the way things are traditionally supposed to be done has made things worse for us.

"The realistic part is it hasn't proved to be a huge money-making venture for a lot of guys in the band. We've been doing this for a long time and you have to ask yourself 'Why am I beating myself up like this?'...week after week, month after month, year after year."

He also disclosed that the end came during a fraught band meeting in December, when all grievances were aired - and the five-piece didn't want the evening to end.

He recalled: "We structured a little meeting to make it real. We got together one day in a place downtown where we wouldn't be bothered and had it out not knowing if it was gonna end. There was a lot of frustration in varying degrees, and a lot of it was built up from lack of communication.

"We had the opportunity to get it out into the open and come to terms with the fact that we gave it a pretty good go. We had witnessed the best it could be."

He added: "It's awkward right now...but it was far from throwing blows. It was kind of sad, because we knew it would be the last time we would hang out in that situation, so we dragged it out as long as we could!"

Lytle also admitted that while recording 'Just Like The Fambly Cat' he was aware that it was unlikely the record would be toured. He will now move from Grandaddy's Californian base of Modesto to Montana, where he will continue making music, though he has made no firm plans about his future yet.

squints

"The myth by no means finds its adequate objectification in the spoken word. The structure of the scenes and the visible imagery reveal a deeper wisdom than the poet himself is able to put into words and concepts" – Friedrich Nietzsche