Ingmar Bergman

Started by filmcritic, June 23, 2003, 12:11:24 AM

Myxo

Just saying..

I've 'heard of' Ingrid Bergman.
Never heard of Max Von Sydow.
Never heard of Liv Ullman.

Obviously I have heard of David Carradine. Had no idea he did a Bergman film.

I've only seen Wild Strawberries and about half of the Seventh Seal (before I fell asleep)..

Gold Trumpet

And to speak of a lesser known actor who has worked for Bergman that you at least will recognize by face, try to remember the name Peter Stormare. His claim to fame for Xixaxer's is he was Steve Buscemi's quiet partner in Fargo.

Myxo

Quote from: The Gold TrumpetAnd to speak of a lesser known actor who has worked for Bergman that you at least will recognize by face, try to remember the name Peter Stormare. His claim to fame for Xixaxer's is he was Steve Buscemi's quiet partner in Fargo.

Nice! I missed that..

Bergman uses Swedish actors almost exclusively doesn't he?

(No idea why I didn't realize this sooner..)

Gold Trumpet

Language barrier is a very big barrier so things can get in the way because Bergman was a Swedish filmmaker. If you were this age 25 years ago, you'd certainly know at least Max von Sydow. He starred in The Exorcist and Three Days of the Condor and even recently in Minority Report as Lumar Burgess. Its just try to understand Bergman's core group of actors not only were well known in world cinema, but probably some of the most respected of actors at the time. Its almost amazing actually to really look back at the people he worked with almost regularily and realize many started great film careers through his films.

he's tom cruise's boss in minority report, ferfuckssakes.
context, context, context.

kotte

Quote from: cronopiohe's tom cruise's boss in minority report, ferfuckssakes.

Quote from: The Gold Trumpet...and even recently in Minority Report as Lumar Burgess.

Just Withnail

It's news to me that these are lesser known actors.

mox von sydow  was in minority report
context, context, context.

SiliasRuby

Just got finished with The Seventh Seal, Cinema in its purest form.
I have already seen Wild Strawberries, Persona, and Fanny and Alexander. Loved all of them. But my favorite so far is Fanny and Alexander with The Seventh Seal coming not far behind. Going to rent 'cries and whispers' on monday when I bring back The Seventh Seal.
The Beatles know Jesus Christ has returned to Earth and is in Los Angeles.

When you are getting fucked by the big corporations remember to use a condom.

There was a FISH in the perkalater!!!

My Collection

soixante

Bergman used Elliot Gould in The Touch in 70 or 71.
Music is your best entertainment value.

Brazoliange

Seventh Seal was beautiful, I also loved Smiles of a Summer Night. Hoping to see Scenes from a Marriage soon.
Long live the New Flesh

for petes sake

fanny and alexander is probably one of my favorite films.  there is so much to love, but i think it's real genius is how it mimics bergman's own life.  it is the ultimate summation of his career.

plus i just ordered the 5 disc criterion set, so i can finally watch the TV version which i hear is even better.

The Perineum Falcon

Each time this thread is updated I keep thinking it's with news of his death. :(
We often went to the cinema, the screen would light up and we would tremble, but also, increasingly often, Madeleine and I were disappointed. The images had dated, they jittered, and Marilyn Monroe had gotten terribly old. We were sad, this wasn't the film we had dreamed of, this wasn't the total film that we all carried around inside us, this film that we would have wanted to make, or, more secretly, no doubt, that we would have wanted to live.

modage

new banner idea:

INGMAR BERGMAN: STILL NOT DEAD
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

The Perineum Falcon

We often went to the cinema, the screen would light up and we would tremble, but also, increasingly often, Madeleine and I were disappointed. The images had dated, they jittered, and Marilyn Monroe had gotten terribly old. We were sad, this wasn't the film we had dreamed of, this wasn't the total film that we all carried around inside us, this film that we would have wanted to make, or, more secretly, no doubt, that we would have wanted to live.