weekend

Started by chere mill, December 01, 2011, 04:03:16 PM

chere mill

didn't see a topic for this. i finally saw andrew haigh's weekend after reading a rave review in film comment. amazing little film. reminiscent of ken loach, sofia coppola, and richard linklater's before sunrise. subtly touching without becoming cheaply manipulative. actors tom cullen and chris new possess a wonderful authenticity and chemistry. one of my faves of the year.

Reinhold

I agree! the "little" quality of this film is very endearing-- i'd contrast it with the "big" quality of Brokeback Mountain. For two beautiful films that set out to normalize the images of gay relationships and explore how out "out" is, they really couldn't be much more different in terms of style. this film treats time, space, and composition in depth completely differently. comparatively this film has got a mumblecore feel to it but for some reason that really didn't piss me off. I also thought that it was very intelligently shot-- the shallow DOF is very actively controlled throughout the film.
Quote from: Pas Rap on April 23, 2010, 07:29:06 AM
Obviously what you are doing right now is called (in my upcoming book of psychology at least) validation. I think it's a normal thing to do. People will reply, say anything, and then you're gonna do what you were subconsciently thinking of doing all along.