Working on your dream?

Started by kotte, January 27, 2004, 02:45:38 PM

kotte

This forum is a bit slow.

What are you working on? Who of us are actually working on our dream(s)?

I am:
* Prepping a short I'll be shooting in February.
* Working on an idea for another short.
* In the early stage of writing a feature (damn, it's hard).
* Thinking about studying philosphy.

SoNowThen

Doing bit rewrites on what should be my first feature.

Finishing sound edit/mix on my newest short.

Writing the treatment of a short film for my buddy to direct.

Helping the same friend finish the first draft of his Pirate Epic script.

Slowly picking away at a rewrite of what will be my dream project script (hopefully the one that will win me a Palme D'Or  :) ), but this shan't be done for at least a year or two...
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

Raikus

-Sending off my short to a script contest

-Trying to finish my three year old script

-Trying to find a new job (it's putting a damper on my writing productivity)

-Preparing for a trip out of the country (again with the damper)

-Writing a short story that will eventually become a short

-Transfering all my files over to a new computer.
Yes, to dance beneath the diamond sky with one hand waving free, silhouetted by the sea, circled by the circus sands, with all memory and fate driven deep beneath the waves, let me forget about today until tomorrow.

kotte

Quote from: Raikus-Writing a short story

I'd like to do more of this. You can go places and do stories you could never if you knew you'd be filming it.

Weak2ndAct

* Doing revision on feature (per director's notes)
* Negotiating pitiful fee for a non-WGA writing assignment
* Page-one rewriting two spec scripts
* Looking for a manager
* Beginning work at a crappy video store b/c I'm woefully in debt (free rentals is the only thing that keeps me sane)
* Trying to catch up on all the movies I've missed in the past 6 months

And yet I have entirely too much time to surf the forum :?

Sleepless

* Trying to watch as many movies as possible, especially ones I should have seen but haven't, plus anything generally odd.

* About quater of a way through first draft of first feature screenplay (a twisted rom-com between a nymphomaniac and a conspiracy-theorist), which hope to make on shoestring summer 2006.

* Still working on story for feature about a boy who befriends a prostitute.

* Trying to work out how the fuck I'm gonna get any money to attempt both of the above.
He held on. The dolphin and all the rest of its pod turned and swam out to sea, and still he held on. This is it, he thought. Then he remembered that they were air-breathers too. It was going to be all right.

Raikus

Quote from: kotte

I'd like to do more of this. You can go places and do stories you could never if you knew you'd be filming it.
It's weird. I've always been a literature writer and I thought transitioning to screenwriting would be pretty easy. However, I still find the easiest way to complete a screenplay is for me to write the story version of it first and then base the screenplay on it. I've been slaving through my primary feature script for three years now and just can't seem to break through it. I may have to go back and write it as a story first.  :x
Yes, to dance beneath the diamond sky with one hand waving free, silhouetted by the sea, circled by the circus sands, with all memory and fate driven deep beneath the waves, let me forget about today until tomorrow.

metroshane

Good for all of you.

I'm having a production meeting tonite for my feature film.  I wrote it and plan on directing it.  It's not an oscar or Palm script...but you'll  never get started if you're always waiting for everything to be perfect.   I'm getting quite a bit of help and some location resistance...but that's normal.  We plan on shooting to start around March 22.

I'm also writing a short play in the style of Neil Simon...mixed with a little "his girl friday".
We live in an age that reads too much to be intelligent and thinks too much to be beautiful.

kotte

Quote from: Raikus
Quote from: kotte

It's weird. I've always been a literature writer and I thought transitioning to screenwriting would be pretty easy. However, I still find the easiest way to complete a screenplay is for me to write the story version of it first and then base the screenplay on it. I've been slaving through my primary feature script for three years now and just can't seem to break through it. I may have to go back and write it as a story first.  :x

If you've been working on it for three years without break-throughs, why not just put it on ice and move on? If it matters this much to you (you've been on it for this long) you shouldn't toss it out but it obviously deserves som time alone :)

Redlum

* Watching as many movies as I can. Currently on a Mike Nichols frenzy
* Doing a lot of uni work. New semester: new projects
* Trying to find inspiration to do a new short over christmas, but starting to become a bit frustrated with minidv.
* Trying to find a 'rug' to tie it all together, so to speak.
\"I wanted to make a film for kids, something that would present them with a kind of elementary morality. Because nowadays nobody bothers to tell those kids, \'Hey, this is right and this is wrong\'.\"
  -  George Lucas

kotte

Quote from: ®edlum* Trying to find inspiration to do a new short over christmas, but starting to become a bit frustrated with minidv.

Anyone who haven't shot on film. Do it!

Save up for a few months, it doesn't have to be that expensive. Nothing can compete with the feeling and energy of a film set. Anyone who's ever heard "camera rolling" understands. :)

Redlum

I know I really want to, if someone could give me a break down of pricing - I'd really appreciate it. Start on B&W 16mm I assume. Is the equipment that difficult to operate? (I guess that should be a new or existing thread, really. Or maybe a PM).
\"I wanted to make a film for kids, something that would present them with a kind of elementary morality. Because nowadays nobody bothers to tell those kids, \'Hey, this is right and this is wrong\'.\"
  -  George Lucas

kotte

Quote from: ®edlumI know I really want to, if someone could give me a break down of pricing - I'd really appreciate it. Start on B&W 16mm I assume. Is the equipment that difficult to operate? (I guess that should be a new or existing thread, really. Or maybe a PM).

I'll PM you. I know 16mm... :)

Ghostboy

I'm currently...

*logging footage in preparation for going out of town on Friday to begin post production on a new feature.
*writing short stories (it's a great change of pace).
*trying to figure out where to go on the second draft of a feature script I've been working on for a while now.
*still working a 'regular' job (projectionist).
*trying to find a different 'regular' job.

The Perineum Falcon

I'll give it a go:

-Just got done taking Photography. Never actually worked with any kind of camera before, so I figured this is as good a place to start as any. I mean, Kubrick started out snapping pictures, right?

-I recently finished a short story/treatment version of film I want to make. I've been sitting on it. It deffinately needs work, but I just haven't gotten around to working on it. So, no idea if this one'll ever come to fruition.

-Just recently started Creative Writing. I've been having problems writing lately, this class should help. Had to come up with at least 3 ideas, write a thumbnail for each of them, then submit them to the other students. Should also help me develop my ideas.

I want to be a writer/director someday. While I've heard good things about what I've written before, there's always room to grow, room to improve, so I'm trying to grow as much as I can.
We often went to the cinema, the screen would light up and we would tremble, but also, increasingly often, Madeleine and I were disappointed. The images had dated, they jittered, and Marilyn Monroe had gotten terribly old. We were sad, this wasn't the film we had dreamed of, this wasn't the total film that we all carried around inside us, this film that we would have wanted to make, or, more secretly, no doubt, that we would have wanted to live.