Trek out to Hollywood

Started by zerocool41, July 13, 2003, 12:43:57 PM

zerocool41

Do directors/writers ever do this?  How do we get work in LA writing tv shows or what not....?  What does someone do if they dont want to wait to get noticed and want to live the dream right now, what jobs are there that aren't ridiculously hard?
I'm going to lay down a monster hand here.

mutinyco

Uh-huh-huh-huh-huh...

That was my Butt-head imitation. Don't worry about Hollywood. I don't even like driving through it. There is no fast break in unless you're related to Francis Ford Coppola or somebody.

Just start doing what you do and try to make as many contacts as you can. Be careful who you trust. With a little talent and a lot of luck you might get to where you want.
"I believe in this, and it's been tested by research: he who fucks nuns will later join the church."

-St. Joe

ReelHotGames

But also don't fool yourself, if you are serious about making in, you have to set up shop in LA. That is the center of our little world, so you have to have roots there somehow.

I have an apartment I rent with about 4 other out of town actors and 2 in town actors and we have a phone number, an adress and a place to crash when we have to be in town for auditions or what not.

While I hate pounding the pavement because all it ever got me was sore feet, and I am active in doing your own thing and trying to make it happen on your own, I strongly believe you'll have to be ready to be in LA on a moments notice if that's what it takes, so just be prepared if your not prepared to pull up roots and go there now.
"Body Count Cinema the Customizable Card Game"
A cinematic CCG coming to a coffee table near you!
www.reelhotgames.com/BodyCountCinema_Home.htm

zerocool41

what is to be expected tho?  How hard is it to get to be a writer for a stupid sitcom or director of commercials?  What do you do there micheal?  Do you have a day job or what?

Xixax

Quote from: zerocool41How hard is it to get to be a writer for a stupid sitcom or director of commercials?

Don't kid yourself, man. 200 applicants for every 1 job.

And to make it even more difficult, it's not WHAT you know, it's WHO you know.
Quote from: Pas RapportI don't need a dick in my anus to know I absolutely don't want a dick in my anus.
[/size]

zerocool41

Okay...so someone give their story....have anyone of you done the move out to LA and what happened and what was your approach?  

What is the most usual backup career that is attainable for writer/directors when/if they can't attain their dream?

mutinyco

>What is the most usual backup career that is attainable for writer/directors when/if they can't attain their dream?<

Try being a fluffer...
"I believe in this, and it's been tested by research: he who fucks nuns will later join the church."

-St. Joe

aclockworkjj

ok...any job that they will actually advertise for....will only pay like $7/hr....and it will be shitty.  You also have these lame casting agency's that will also try to advertise for production assistants.....what you do is pay them a fee and they provide you with lists of films currently seeking crew and talent.....the trick, not a fuckin' one is a paying job nor a SAG production...although could be a lot of fun....it will not pay the bills.  It is simple....if you don't have to actually pay bills, it could be fun to fetch coffee for a TV show or something

I know a lot of kids who are waiters/bartenders instead....and it makes me sick how much money they can actually make doing it....

zerocool41

So where do all the directors get jobs???  Does everyone know someone?  writers for that 70's show...where did they come from and how did they get their jobs?  

Is the one and truly only way to make a short film, submit it to festivals, and win them all?  

Once you write a script or tv pilot, how do you get that seen?

MacGuffin

Quote from: zerocool41So where do all the directors get jobs???  Does everyone know someone?  writers for that 70's show...where did they come from and how did they get their jobs?  

Is the one and truly only way to make a short film, submit it to festivals, and win them all?  

Once you write a script or tv pilot, how do you get that seen?

Agents play a part in all of those questions. Studios will not look at spec scripts because of legal reasons (agents won't either, but if your querry letter strikes them, then they will request it). So unless you know someone who will look at it, or have an agent that will sent it for you, it's very slim to none they will accept it. Also, TV shows have a set staff of writers anyway, so they have their team and will very rarely take outsider scripts.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

zerocool41

Ok so agents are key.....how does one acquire one?

mutinyco

Uh-huh-huh-huh-huh...

-St. Joe

ReelHotGames

QuoteOk so agents are key.....how does one acquire one?

That is the question isn't it. Depends on what type of agent you want. A talent agent, a writers agent...

You will also need a manager and at some point a lawyer.

To get an agent y7ou need to have a job, to get a job you need an agent. See the Catch 22. Xixax is right it is WHO you know.

As for your questions above about a writer for a stupid sitcom and how hard is it. Damn hard. Damn damn damn hard. I am lobbying right now to get a job as a writer for "Unscrewed with Martin Sergeant" and it ain't easy, I am competing with several hundred other candidates.

The biz ain't an easy nut to crack. You have to be persistant and tough and not give up.
"Body Count Cinema the Customizable Card Game"
A cinematic CCG coming to a coffee table near you!
www.reelhotgames.com/BodyCountCinema_Home.htm

TheVoiceOfNick

This business is not for the faint of heart. If you want to be successful, you need to give up pretty much everything and devote your blood, sweat, and tears to it until you make it (if you even make it that far).

To get an entry level job, you need to possess every skill from making coffee for the boss, all the way to programming a linux mainframe... this is because, whatever is asked of you, you will be damned if you ever say you don't know how to do it! the three words that kill you the fastest in this town are "i don't know"... and not only that, but you will be getting paid $7 to do it... if that! I know because i've done it also... i've posted temp jobs for my company... i asked for knowledge in lots of things, and for certain production jobs, they had to have their own equipment. i said that there would be no pay, but that there would be a deferement if the production gained distribution... guess how many responses i got... over 300. many times, i end up going with someone i've worked with before.

Everything you know about life and business is reversed here in Hollywood... things that wouldn't make much sense in real life, make perfect sense here.

there are two things you ABSOLUTELY HAVE TO REMEMBER about this business if you want to succeed:

1. everything is about the money. fuck the creativity, the art, the glamour, the excitement, etc... only one thing matters in this BUSINESS... the money.

2. no matter how GREAT you think you are... there are 2500 other people that would litterally stab you in your back to have your job... and the bosses know this, so stay on your tippy toes and don't crack any eggshells. there are way more bright-eyed-newcomers where you came from.

This is all sad but true...

Nick

mutinyco

Uh-huh-huh-huh-huh-huh...

-St. Joe