The Film "CUBE"

Started by 1976, October 12, 2003, 06:47:36 AM

Has anyone seen this film? I'm trying to figure out what it all meant. Where were they? Who created this maze of cubes they were trapped in? The movie kind of just ends without much explanation and I guess I'm not philosophical enough to figure it out on my own. For what it's worth, I did enjoy it for the most part...felt like a really long "Twilight Zone" episode (you know the one with the people in the box who turn out to be toys.)

ElPandaRoyal

It's been a while since I saw it (and really didn't like it), but I have an idea that the characters came to the conclusion they were being used by some organization to experiences or something...

As for the movie itself, I never got into the whole B-film spirit on this one. It didn't really scare me, didn't amuse me, the actors were a bit... well... bad actors and when it was over, I didn't feel any need to even talk about it or something. I know it's a movie with a lot of fans, but I can't be one of them... Don't look for any philosophical explanation. I doubt there's one.
Si

rustinglass

I think that what the film attempts is to analyse the human condition in a mathematical projection setting, the result is that humans are violent and complex beings that hold their own damnation/salvation...uhm...you know what I mean.

I wasn't very fond of cude^2-hypercube, directed by andrez something (the director of photography of pulp fiction). It seemed pointless, the acting was terrible and it only ads more questions, solves none, photography was ok, though
"In Serbia a lot of people hate me because they want to westernise, not understanding that the western world is bipolar, with very good things and very bad things. Since they don't have experience of the west, they even believe that western shit is pie."
-Emir Kusturica

ElPandaRoyal

QuoteI think that what the film attempts is to analyse the human condition in a mathematical projection setting, the result is that humans are violent and complex beings that hold their own damnation/salvation...uhm...you know what I mean.

I can see what you mean, but I just can't put any deeper thoughts into that movie. It was all because of the acting I think...
Si

rustinglass

the acting was pretty bad
"In Serbia a lot of people hate me because they want to westernise, not understanding that the western world is bipolar, with very good things and very bad things. Since they don't have experience of the west, they even believe that western shit is pie."
-Emir Kusturica

ElPandaRoyal

Quotethe acting was pretty bad

Yeah... in the words of someone I can't quite remember right now "it sucked donkey dick"
Si

Cecil

it was an okay film. anyone see cube 2: hypercube? i thought it had its moments but overall...

Cecil

rustinglass

I saw it but I am a former member of the sugarcubes.
-Emir Kusturica

ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ

Cube was an awesome concept with horrible scripting/acting.  So for me, it has 2 counts against it.  

But I love the whole "Ignorance" is bliss vibe the ending delivers.  Sort of like Pi.  Did anyone get this?
"As a matter of fact I only work with the feeling of something magical, something seemingly significant. And to keep it magical I don't want to know the story involved, I just want the hypnotic effect of it somehow seeming significant without knowing why." - Len Lye