DVD burn, burn....

Started by aclockworkjj, July 05, 2003, 09:04:55 PM

Recce

Quote from: aclockworkjj
Quote from: RecceI have FCP4 and quicktime pro now
cough, cough ...did you hear that JB??...cough, cough...

Seriously, what do you mean by that? The suspense is killing me.
"The idea had been growing in my brain for some time: TRUE force. All the king's men
                        cannot put it back together again." (Travis Bickle, "Taxi Driver")

aclockworkjj

Quote from: RecceSeriously, what do you mean by that? The suspense is killing me.
suspense can make ya tense, hence...I am gonna keep ya on the fence. :wink:

Recce

Not cool, clockwork. Not cool at all. Come on. Tell me. You know you want to.
"The idea had been growing in my brain for some time: TRUE force. All the king's men
                        cannot put it back together again." (Travis Bickle, "Taxi Driver")

ReelHotGames

Quotebtw, Where has Michael been?...I hope well....

Depends... I had a complete system meltdown - and I mean COMPLETE!!!! I am doing my damndest to salvage my edited video that is still stuck on my hard drive, but am having little fits as I now need to buy a complete new system... Otherwise I'm fine-diddly-ine...

QuoteCould I have wiped out something important? Realize, I can play DVD's fine as well as record DVD data fine. I tried DVDxCopy...and I can get it to burn an image just fine...but the damn thing errors when actually trying to burn it. The Video and audio track are there tho, as I can even watch them in my CIneplayer....

Okay, first things last.... DVDXCopy can rip the image to your hard drive fine? True?

Once it's on yoru hard drive DVDXCOPY can NOT burn it properly back to a DVD?

Is this what you're saying?

You get your VIDEO_TS folder on your hard drive all fine and dandy - but are stuck from there? If this is the case, it's easy, but not right to fix as we would love DVDXCOpy to do all the work.

So - if you get the newly compressed VIDEO_TS file on yoru hard drive alright, just use a burning program such as Nero or preferably RecordMax Now, create a DVD DATA disc, and make sure all you have on it are your VIDEO_TS and an AUDIO_TS folder and burn baby burn!

If that's not the problem I would try reinstalling DVDXCOPY - otherwise drop me a line and I'll try and help you through it.
"Body Count Cinema the Customizable Card Game"
A cinematic CCG coming to a coffee table near you!
www.reelhotgames.com/BodyCountCinema_Home.htm

aclockworkjj

sweet...I think I got it...my problem was, when DVDxCopy got done, burning the image, it would freeze, and error out "not responding".  

But yes, I would get the video and audio files fine.  The problem, one, I didn't realize there was a difference between DVD-RW and DVD+RW discs...yes, I am stupid.  So that was one problem...

the 2nd was I think I screwed it up by trying to burn a DVD video disc, instead of just a DVD data disc...

sheesh...Michael as always you are the man...I think I have it down pat now.

ps. shitty about yer system crashing..best of luck!  Tho you probably don't need it, I just went through the same shit not to long ago..so any help, as little as it may be, is always offered.

pps. I use nero...but what's this other ditty recordmax all about?

Banky

can you buy a dvd burner that will copy copyrighted dvds?  Like you just put in the dvd and a blank and press burn?  Anyone do this or something like it ?

Banky

Does anyone have a good DVD burner? Can you copy copyrighted dvds? I was thinking of geting one for christmas.

aclockworkjj

Banky...did you bother to read the rest of the thread??...haha.

Yes, you can do it, but ripping them involves some steps.  A good inexpensive burner...Here.

it's close to one of the burners I have.

ReelHotGames

banky

any burner will "burn" protected discs, it's the software that does the work. You need dvdxcopy express, hands down 70 bucks well spent.

Otherwise its a process of freeware, ripping using dvddecrypter or smartripper, - reencoding using Rempeg and then changing and rewriting ifo files with ifoedit.

check out www.doom9.net for guides on all the steps. In the long run spend $70 and get dvdxcopy xpress with your $129.99 burner for $200ish you'll be breaking the hearts of stunt men and scene painters everywhere.

aclockworkjj

i dunno if i am sold on this dvd burning thing yet...I just think that the media needs to catch up...

you can only fit 120min. on a normal 4.7GB dvd.  However, for data....dvd's simply kick ass.  I have to work with a ton of really large tiffs and psd's within reguards to work.  i have one of my burners doing this "instawrite" thing...and it actually writes lightening fast.  makes transfering large ass print quality files simple.

am i just looking at the wrong kinda blank media?  cause yeah, there are the dual sided ones, but anything over the standard 4.7 discs...are too damn expensive, I might as well just buy the dvd.

ReelHotGames

at the moment for dvd +/- r discs 4.7 is what you get. But you can use encoding and compression software to get more than 120 minutes olut of it.

They are going ot be intriducing a new dual layered recordable disc 9.4 gigs like stor ebought, but the cost factor to start is going to be a killer not to mention most burners lasers probably won't be fine enough to distinguish it for writing.

But we'll see.

If your copying movies (that you own - sneaky pete's) using a program like dvdxcopy xpress then you can fit the entire disc onto one blank and with no quality loss (that I have ever noticed), and that's on a 4.7 gb disc/

aclockworkjj

so i just got DVDXCOPY platinum...whoa.  It came with something called DVDXRescue.  I dunno what the hell the thing does yet...but sounds cool.

MacGuffin

Maker of DVD-copy software slapped with injunction

A federal judge granted a summary judgment Friday that represents a significant win for the movie industry against a software manufacturer. The closely watched case was seen by many as a test of the Digital Millennium Copyright Act. Judge Susan Illston of the Northern District Court of California found 321 Studios in violation of the DMCA for its DVDXCopy product, which allows consumers to make copies of commercially released DVDs. She issued an injunction Friday against "manufacturing, distributing or otherwise trafficking in any type of DVD circumvention software" that takes effect in seven days. An undaunted 321 Studios immediately stated its intention to appeal the ruling and seek a stay during the appeal process. It further promised to continue sales of DVDXCopy on its Web site until the last legal minute. The court found 321's software product DVDXCopy and its earlier incarnation, DVD Copy Plus, in violation of section 1201 of the DMCA, primarily because it circumvents the CSS copy-protection technology present on the vast majority of commercial DVDs.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

MacGuffin

Sony Introduces Dual Layered DVD Recorders
Can store up to 8.5GB.

Sony Electronics has introduced its first dual layered recordable DVD drive, both in internal and external designs. The internal DRU-700A drive and external DRX-700UL will be able to store up to four hours of MPEG-2 video or up to 8.5GB of data on a single disc.

The drives can write to dual layer blank media at 2.4x speed, 8x speed for DVD-R media and 4X for DVD+RW. Besides writing to single- and dual-layer recordable DVD discs, the drive is also able to write CD-Rs at 40x speed and to CD-RW discs at 24x speed.

The drives will come with a suite of AHEAD's Nero Burning ROM 6 SE package, which also include: Nero Express 6 CD/DVD mastering software for data, audio and CD/DVD writing and copying, Nero VisionExpress 2 VCD/SVCD and DVD authoring software for advanced video capturing, AHEAD InCD 4 packet writing software for formatting rewritable discs so they can be used for data backup with drag-and-drop capability, Nero ShowTime DVD-Video playback software, Nero BackItUp backup software and Nero ImageDrive virtual disc drive software.

The new drives are expected to ship to retailers by the end of the second quarter at an estimated sale price of $230 for the internal DRU-700A and $330 for the external DRX-700UL.

"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

abuck1220

ok...most of the posts here are over a year old, so i thought i'd bring it back w/ some annoying 'new to burning' questions...

i just got a new laptop w/ a 8x cd/dvd burner...now what? do i need to get software to rip the dvd to the hard drive AND software to burn it from the hard drive to the blank dvd? any developments on this front in the past year?