Criterion News and Discussion

Started by Gold Trumpet, January 16, 2003, 06:18:19 PM

SiliasRuby

Quote from: Cinephile
Quote from: SiliasRubyI was literally smiling from ear to ear when I heard about the Criterion vesrion of "Short Cuts"...
literally, eh? did you get a picture of it?
Nope, my room mate forgot to take one.
The Beatles know Jesus Christ has returned to Earth and is in Los Angeles.

When you are getting fucked by the big corporations remember to use a condom.

There was a FISH in the perkalater!!!

My Collection

Gold Trumpet

Is Van Sant's My Own Private Idaho coming to Criterion? Here's a post at the CC forum hints at the title being involved in a deal between New Line, Criterion and Image. (this would be another New Line title with Short Cuts and potentially Naked coming out from Criterion soon.

------------------------------------------------------
Andre Jurieux:
"I just received notification that New Line recently made a deal between Image and Criterion regarding certain titles deemed "non-profitable" (similar to the post in the previous Short Cuts thread). I'm not going into specifics, because I was asked not to, but another title was mentioned that some around here have requested in the past. I'll just say it concerns a very "Personal Secretive State". Man, I've been posting alot lately?!?!"

"Personal Secretive State".......My Own Private Idaho! Honestly, not surprised and definitely a film that would fit with all the other films in the collection.

modage

*insert cheap joke about thread title relating to opening scene of film here...
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Just Withnail

Yeah I read about that. Exiting as hell, but I'll keep calm until we hear some more.

djs222

hey, i'm new here -- this is my first post --but recently i worked for a day at gus van sant's portland office moving boxes to his storage facility (i got the job through a co-worker of my dad's whose daughter runs the office for van sant).

anyway, she mentioned to me that van sant had just turned over a bunch of footage from "idaho" to criterion.  so i'm guessing the dvd is really in the works.

and just to mention, even though i only worked one day in his office, it was definitely impressive...with his own private screening room and editing facilty.  large-scale photos from "elephant" hanging everywhere.  the boxes we were moving actually wardrobe from his new film, "last days" about the life of kurt cobain.  plus, in his storage facility, i saw where he keeps prints of all his films.  theyre just stacked up on shelves, but nonetheless, very cool.  a totally worthwhile experience.

Alethia

welcome - and what a cool fucking job!

Just Withnail

And such a fascinating username  :-D Fantastic news concerning Idaho.

Gold Trumpet

Some rumored titles (including a personal favorite for me).................

So, It looks like Criterion may soon be dipping back into Cronenberg and even get their first touch of Louis Malle is this post from the CC forum has any validity:

"I just asked Image Entertainment if they had any plans for either Cronenberg's Crash or Louis Malle's Damage and they told me to contact Criterion about those two. Hmmm..."

For news really exciting (for moi at leat), looks like Criterion may be releasing "This Sporting Life", a highly underrated film of personal anguish in rugby that not only should draw comparisons to Raging Bull as a precursor film of influence, but should at least be right up there with Raging Bull in pure quality. In fact, I think This Sporting Life tops Raging Bull. It deepens the subject by not making it chronological and focusing on telling the story from the pysche of the athlete. Beautiful and masterful film the 1960s. Anyways, this news came from a recent interview: http://one-summer.tv83.net/spencerinterview.htm

Do the Criterion releases get released in the UK, or only America?

No it doesn't get released outside the US, but because it is such a well known collection, a lot of people that know about movies know Criterion. The Criterion Collection are dedicated to gathering the greatest films from around the world.and publishing them in editions that offer the highest technical quality. I remember Dave and I would discuss films, we were both very keen on the British 'kitchen sink' dramas from the early sixties, the likes of Saturday Night Sunday Morning, This Sporting Life,and A Kind of Loving. These films appealed to me for many reasons. They were working class dramas, brilliantly acted with people like Allen Bates, Albert Finney and Richard Harris. Criterion will be releasing This Sporting Life, so I'm very excited about that.

bonanzataz

Quote from: SiliasRuby
Quote from: Cinephile
Quote from: SiliasRubyI was literally smiling from ear to ear when I heard about the Criterion vesrion of "Short Cuts"...
literally, eh? did you get a picture of it?
Nope, my room mate forgot to take one.

i literally just shat my pants... LITERALLY!
The corpses all hang headless and limp bodies with no surprises and the blood drains down like devil's rain we'll bathe tonight I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls Demon I am and face I peel to see your skin turned inside out, 'cause gotta have you on my wall gotta have you on my wall, 'cause I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls collect the heads of little girls and put 'em on my wall hack the heads off little girls and put 'em on my wall I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls

Florya Naoki

Wow, This Sporting life is on my to see list. And that title gives me hope thet Criterion will do Lindsay Anderson's If... as well.

Chest Rockwell

Quote from: The Gold Trumpet
Quote from: RaviI'm giving out hand jobs in exchange for all these DVDs.  PM me if you are interested.

Wait wait......you may not have to give hand jobs after all! If anyone is interested, there is a newly started website called http://www.criteriondvd.com that has the best deals I've ever seen on the net for the purchase of Criterion DVDs. The site sells solely criterions and while i have not yet used it, it focusing just on 200 and some DVDs suggest the quality of shipping should be better.

I hope people here use the website and also can get back to me on whether it works or not. I plan to very soon, but I want to know anyways. I'll keep it in my signature also for a little while and in case it sucks, just remove it.
I just ordered Discreet Charm of the Bourgeoisie from the website. When it comes in I'll make sure to give details on how fast the shipping was (I ordered with regular USPS cuz it's free). I will say that the website is very easy to use, not to mention the DVDs are about $5 cheaper than at Amazon.

Fernando

Wait wait......you may not have to give hand jobs after all! If anyone is interested, there is a newly started website called http://www.criteriondvd.com that has the best deals I've ever seen on the net for the purchase of Criterion DVDs.

Isn't dvdplanet cheaper? Go here.

Chest Rockwell

Quote from: Fernando
Wait wait......you may not have to give hand jobs after all! If anyone is interested, there is a newly started website called http://www.criteriondvd.com that has the best deals I've ever seen on the net for the purchase of Criterion DVDs.

Is that a new sale? I didn't think they were that cheap before...

samsong

Quote from: Chest Rockwell
Quote from: Fernando

Is that a new sale? I didn't think they were that cheap before...

DVD Planet has always sold Criteiron discs for 35% off.

ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ

I heard something about a Graduate Criterion...

I couldn't find it on search, and not on the site, but my friend is so adamant in thinking there will be one...anyone know anything on that?
"As a matter of fact I only work with the feeling of something magical, something seemingly significant. And to keep it magical I don't want to know the story involved, I just want the hypnotic effect of it somehow seeming significant without knowing why." - Len Lye